Wednesday, February 4, 2015

BOSCO BY MOONLIGHT



Dazzled by the full moon's interpretation of daylight, Bosco watches in amazement and wonders why he's confined indoors. He is unaware of persistent hard frost and intermittent snow. The window has beckoned him during momentary cloudbreak - when moonlight drenches frozen landscape with stunning illumination.

The other two cats sleep, blissfully snoring, unaware of my chronic insomnia and heavy burden of thoughts. Thought is perpetuated by the silent midnight hours, inspired by momentary glimpses of moonglow.

The February full moon. Snow Moon, as it's called. I went outside, much earlier, as it was rising. The deep forest was shrouded in low fog, but the moon was brilliant and white just above the grasping reach of naked treetops.

As I absorbed the moon's beauty, coyotes howled very nearby. The announcement of their presence startled but didn't scare me. I've grown used to it. They have their territory, I have mine. We respect one another.

The hunters have no respect. The sharp, echoing sound of their rifles occurs quite often and still unnerves me to some extent. Tuesday afternoon was enhanced with showers of light snow. I went outside to watch the strikingly red cardinals. The sudden shots of the hunters was too close for comfort. The birds scattered. I hurried back indoors. I can only hope that the hunters have good eyesight and remain reasonably sober.

And me? I'm still existing in a mild state of confusion - - with too many things and nowhere to put them. The house is chaotic. The garage looks like an explosion at a junk yard. I have a stomach virus and a lethargic attitude. I've put a Hungarian pox on the entire process of moving. And my movers. My missing possessions, so far, have not been found.

But enough of annoying reality. These frozen, moon-drenched midnight hours are reserved for respite and rumors of dreams.

Bosco, in the mesmerizing custody of the moonlit window, fully realizes this.



20 comments:

  1. still life with vase and cat. bosco doesn't realize the coyotes would eat him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written post, Jon. Is it possible that Bosco, in search of a kindred spirit, has settled for a kindred shape in the vase? He seems to be checking to see if it has grown a head --politely, not insisting it do so. Cats often look at me like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Bosco and the vase looked eerily similar.
      Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure some people (not you) think I make things up, but I don't. I find poetry in the most simple places.

      Delete
  3. ENJOY the landscape. It is breathtaking for sure. However the hunters breaking the stillness of the moment would upset me. Stay indoors Bosco, being an indoor cat has it's privileges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indoor cats are annoying at times but I'd never let them out. They wouldn't last long in this wilderness.

      Delete
  4. Jon,
    I love the photo of Bosco. Perfect composition. Your talent always impresses me. What a different landscape you have now since you moved from Texas. It is a shame about the hunters though. I had the same problem when we lived in the woods in Pennsylvania. The rude interruptions of the loud shots of the hunters during hunting season. Even down here in the flat coastal plains of eastern Delaware, I occasionally hear the loud "BÅNG" of a shotgun. Thankfully, that doesn't happen too often.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the TN hunters are only shooting NEAR me. In Texas, when I used to hike in Twin Buttes near San Angelo, the hunters occasionally shot AT me - and I'm not kidding. I've had a few bullets zoom over my head.

      Delete
    2. It's almost impossible to photograph cats because they move too quickly. For once, Bosco was in a perfect position and remained still.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I have to say it sounds what you need, moon drenched coldness, after the nasty hot windy dusty breathlessness of Texas! Don't give those coyotes an inch, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this clean mountain air, and I won't give those coyotes an inch.
      I deleted one of your comments, only because it came out twice.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw on Terrytare's blog that you were from Tennessee so I had to come check it out. I am too - near Nashville area. Nice blog. Will put you on my blog list! Hope you enjoy TN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit. Tennessee has exceeded all my expectations.

      Delete
  8. What a beautifully written post, cowboy. Evocative, and almost as much poetry as it is prose. I can hardly wait to hear how you describe the coming of spring, and the colors of autumn. I have a feeling Tennessee suits you very well.

    Sorry your stuff hasn't shown up yet. Don't give up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mountains and the moonlight seem to have resurrected my creativity.

      Delete
  9. I, too, am struck by this composition! Your window's trim - even the 'pull' - begs a 2nd (or third) glance. Neat stuff, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. I'm surprised at how much Bosco looks like the vase.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.