Friday, March 20, 2015

SPRING SONG



Many thanks to those brave souls who left comments on my previous post (or long-winded confession). I've sobered up since I wrote it. I think.

A little birdie told me that today is the first day of spring. I suppose I should don a toga, run outside, and do an interpretive Spring Dance (alla Isadora Duncan) in a field of daffodils.

Unfortunately, it's cold, rainy, and there isn't a daffodil in sight. A few days ago it was sunny, the temperature was 70 degrees, and my spirits were soaring. Mother Nature must have noticed my mirth and decided to give me one final blast of winter.

I spent this first gloomy day of spring inside, wearing an extra sweater, in the company of several consecutive hot cups of tea. 

Actually, it was a lousy day. This morning my laptop computer was infected with a demon virus. I should have called an exorcist, but instead I battled the Evil Entity on my own - with the help of Avast and System Restore.

This afternoon, while attempting to make an early dinner, I accidentally left a pot of stuffing on the stove and it burned to a crisp. In fact it burned beyond a crisp. The smell was so bad that I had to open all the doors and windows. The fresh air did little to alleviate the thick smokey odor. Now the house is cold and it still stinks.

Welcome to spring!

In honor of this new season, I've decided to subject you to my interpretation of Rustle of Spring by the Norwegian composer Christian Sinding (1856-1941).

Some of you have been seen this video before. I'm posting it again just for those of you who haven't seen it.


This an old, poor quality rehearsal video that I made when I had a music studio in San Angelo. I simply propped an El Cheapo camcorder up on a bookcase while I was practicing. It was nearly 110 degrees that summer day (no lie) and I was sweltering in the Texas heat.

This video was made at least 25 years after I was a musician in California - maybe more - and I was completely out of practice (musically speaking, of course). 



14 comments:

  1. Hope you get to enjoy your new surroundings soon. We're having rain and gloomy days for the first of spring. As you know we, here in Texas, better be thankful while we can get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your getting some much-needed rain this season. I hope it help alleviate the drought and yield an abundance of wild flowers.

      Delete
  2. Out of left field, I'm somewhat surprised at your mention of drinking hot tea. (Maybe on account, after all these years I still don't get it.) Not sure why, but I'd have presumed you with a glass of port.

    Yes, I'd seen this video before, but seriously appreciate the re-run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, to be honest, the only booze I can buy in this Bible-belt county is beer (and even that's hard to find). I'd have to drive 50 miles to get wine or anything else. Heck, I thought prohibition had ended.......

      Delete
  3. Jon, I have never heard a more engaging and life-affirming rendering of "Rustle of Spring". There is a precision in you that astonishes. My compliments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo, you've paid me a compliment that I can truly treasure. Many thanks.

      Delete
  4. Being infected with a demon virus can be a fate worse than death. Glad you didn't need the exorcist. The passion you have for the music is always intoxicating. Thank you for a proper introduction to spring. PS)Try as I might to access your previous post, I could not. So I apologize for missing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had temporarily reverted my previous post to a draft so I could edit it. You might be able to access it now.
      I'd like to embrace spring - - but it's still too cold for any hugs.

      Delete
  5. Jon,
    Now that is a vision you have implanted in my head; you donning a toga, running outside and dancing in the morning mist covered primrose. And Jon, get rid of that Windows based computer. If you can, get an iMac or Apple product. You may pay a little more money up front but you will never regret it. No more viruses, upgrades and freezes. Plus, you'll have FaceTime so you can talk to some of your many followers. Do it Jon.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron I can definitely do without the viruses and those ENDLESS updates. It would be worth the extra money.

      Delete
  6. "I suppose I should don a toga, run outside, and do an interpretive Spring Dance (a la Isadora Duncan) in a field of daffodils." - I would pay good money to see THAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your musical talents never fail to impress.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.