Saturday, April 18, 2015

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE RANCH



Rainy Day


My blog posts are losing their punch. The last few have seemingly crashed and burned.

You're trying too hard, Jon. Just relax and let the nothingness flow.

Good advice. Today I won't try to entertain. I'll be boring and mundane. People can relate to that. I'll incorporate scenes from my daily life, accompanied by uninteresting photos. 

So, how is your daily life going lately?

Well, I haven't fallen on my ass in three days. I'd call that progress. I still have such excruciating back spasms from my most recent fall that it takes twenty minutes to get out of bed in the morning. Once I'm out of bed, I wince and teeter - - doing a sort of combination St. Vitus Dance and Jitterbug. Fortunately, my cats are the only witnesses to this sorry spectacle. They laugh, but they'll never tell.

I'll admit it. I wasn't prepared for the perils of mountain life. I figured (erroneously) that, after life in West Texas, anything else would be a cinch.

The rain here is frequent and fierce - - sort of like the monsoon season in South Vietnam.
I'm still battling bees and wasps and sealing up their nesting holes.
I've recently been bitten by a tick. The tick horror stories that I've read on the Internet have elevated my dimensions of fear to a whole new level.

Yesterday my cat Scratch brought me a dead mouse. A gift I can't exchange.


Scratch: the mouse catcher


I'm sporadically doing some more unpacking and trying to make this dump look a little more decent. 
Incidentally, my cousin Nancy has been a saint. She's always helpful and always there when I need her.

Yesterday, I unveiled part of my vast art collection. I have nearly fifty original works of art. I can either open a mountain museum or use them for firewood next winter. I'm surprised I still have most of my paintings. The movers did lose one of them (stolen??).

I'm trying to fix up the living room but the rest of the house looks absolutely horrible.

I've said enough. Here are photos.


 One of my pianos. Unfortunately I haven't had the time or inspiration to play lately. The other day I sat down for half an hour and played the final scene from Puccini's opera Suor Angelica - - which I love with a passion. It seemed strange to play again after nearly a year.


The painting above the piano. It's European, from the 1850's, signed - - but I can't decipher the signature.


 My cherished desk, which I purchased in Odessa.
The painting above the desk is of Bamburgh Castle (Northumberland, England) painted in the 1840s. 



 Portrait of Empress Alexandra in a hand-carved antique Russian frame.


This 1889 original painting is a copy of Gainsborough's painting of Lady Sophia Charlotte Sheffield. I initially thought it was Frances Duncombe, but Duncombe wasn't wearing a hat (all of Gainsborough's paintings tend to look alike). Anyway, I simply call this "The Blue Lady".

 This painting used to be in the "family room" in the Texas house. Now it's in my tiny living room. My Mom used to love this painting, so I have fond memories when I look at it.


Old faithful - my grandfather clock. It kept perfect time for a decade, but has ironically been running slow ever since I moved. Perhaps it's now on Mountain Time??


This is an original painting from the 1700's. It's a copy of Raphael's Madonna Della Seggiola. I got it from a dealer in New York for a very reasonable price because it has damage and needs restoration. It's one of my favorites, but it is very heavy and I'm hesitant to hang it on the wall.

 


26 comments:

  1. Afraid to congratulate you on three days without a fall. It might jinx you. I was bit by a tick a week ago, myself and have survived so far...though like you have heard the stories. Family keeps you sane. Glad you have Nancy. Your artwork is exquisite. It is nice to surround yourself with things that bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really nice to finally have some relatives near me. I was isolated in Texas fr too long. Actually, I got my tick bite a week ago, too (last Sunday). I sure hope we both survive!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing these pictures, Jon. It's nice to visualize my blog friends' own environments! I totally get what you mean about enjoying something your mother loved.

    BTW, I don't think you could be boring and mundane if you tried. I suppose there's a time and place for those whose blogs feature their latest tablescape or sunshine-lollipops-and-roses. Maybe blogging isn't so different than dining? I'd rather enjoy a satisfying repast once a week than 7 days' fast food!

    PS - I'm (still) captivated by your desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm captivated by my desk, too, but - looking at the photo - I realized that it hasn't been dusted in awhile. It's still difficult to get used to this small house but I'm doing my best.

      I suppose I can tell you a secret- - I'm never bored with myself. I actually think I'm an interesting character.

      Delete
  3. Jon, your living room is very nicely appointed. You're making progress and that's exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo, my progress is so slow that it's frightening. I keep telling myself that old age has nothing to do with it.
      Today I finally washed all the floors. I suppose it could be called progress.

      Delete
  4. The Bamburgh castle painting in particular is lovely Jon. Trying to visualize you getting out of bed via your description made me smile (for which I'm sorry given your pain). Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Bamburgh Castle painting, too, and I've had it hanging over my desk for years. Unfortunately it needs a cleaning. There are many times when I laugh while trying to get out of bed. Especially when one of the cats grabs my bare feet and tries to play.

      Delete
  5. You're getting your place "fixed" up nicely. Hope you don't encounter ticks very often. John sold a whole small ranch because it had ticks on it. Stay upright and keep feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, the ticks actually scare me more than the wasps and bees. I never had to deal with ticks before and I hate having to walk through the grass and weeds.

      Delete
  6. Your home is beautiful - so elegant and gracious. I confess I rather like "boring" pictures of peoples homes, it's not boring to me :)
    I hope your back gets better soon. Nothing worse than trying to turn a new house into a home when you are hobbling around in agony.
    What lovely items you have ! I look forward to seeing more photos as you get them done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I'm glad you liked the photos. This humble mountain shack is much smaller than my Texas house was, but I'm feeling comfortable surrounded with my favorite possessions. I will post more photos in the future.

      Delete
  7. Odessa? There are some stories in the collection of the collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - - I should have been more specific. Odessa, Texas......not very glamorous or exciting.......

      Delete
  8. Jon,
    Wow! Now this was some blog post. Some personal items (which I am always interested in, being the nosy yenta that I am) and a tour of your art collection. More!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my boring posts are more exciting than my exciting posts.
      A complete tour of my art collection would probably take weeks.

      Delete
  9. Jon,
    By the way, I love your red bud tree!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of red bud trees around here. That one happens to be the closest one.

      Delete
  10. house is looking good there, jon! love the desk! and scratch's gift - eeeeew, but that's the way cats are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the fourth mouse since I moved here..........EEEEEEEW, for sure!

      Delete
  11. Love the way you are doing your home. Love the paintings also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Helen. I hope you're doing okay - it's good to hear from you.

      Delete
  12. Can't access your post about family pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I removed it, but will post it again (hopefully) soon.

      Delete
  13. I'd loved to have helped unpack these delight's. With such beautiful portaits and furniture I could have arranged a mini-tour here in Scotland! lol

    Good on Scratch for keeping up his mouse hunting escapades.........!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though I'm living in a modest mountain hut, I'm surrounded by some lovely possessions - - and three mice-catching cats!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.