Monday, November 9, 2015

GHOSTS OF FALLEN ANGELS




On lonely nights here in the mountain wilderness, restless winds whisper through the treetops like resurrected voices of the past. 

I start thinking about all of the lost souls I knew during my wild youth on the streets of Hollywood. Gentle souls like myself who abandoned sweet innocence in favor of the toxic midnight world of corruption. 
Hustlers, hookers, druggies, hardcore nocturnal wanderers, junkies of the night. Tarnished angels, devoured by their own selfish desires......

I wrote a poem (a small excerpt of which is included below).

I also made a video. It's a hurried and haphazard endeavor, with no subliminal message or redeeming value, but it reflects my feelings.
I'm posting it here to save you a trip to YouTube. Full screen viewing is best. 

  

Banished from the
lofty realms of righteousness,
they tumble beyond
a cradle of clouds
in swift descent
to the open arms of mortal desire
and the sweet embrace of Sodom.

by Jon V.
from In the Shadow of Babylonian Kings 


new post at

Cabinet of Curious Treasures 






8 comments:

  1. Love this post! I too have known many fallen angels through my travels. Especially in Morocco, young pretty guys that got caught up. So lucky I didn't become one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's refreshing to hear from someone who can actually relate to my efforts. Thanks.
    Morocco sounds so intriguing.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, according to Biblical folklore --accessible from several points but mainly Revelation 12:4-- when Satan was cast out of Heaven, a third of the staff left with him. I've been involved in labor negotiations enough to surmise they had their reasons. St. John had many cautionary hallucinations on Patmos Island and I'd classify this one with the general admonition to "be good" --that includes kindness and generosity of spirit, a quality much practiced by angels both fallen and unfallen-- and reservation of judgement. We need love in this world as much or more than we need judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Geo!
      If the world would stop and listen , and consider the power of kindness and generosity of spirit, love would illuminate every shadow - and the weeping angels would smile.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful video, Jon.
    The opening reminded me of my youth and the Santa Fe mission ... but soon, I became engrossed. Not so much the models or the skies, but the tear-stained statues touched my self.
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, this reminded me of the California missions that I visited in my youth. The weeping angels and stained glass evoke powerful and poignant memories.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I appreciate that.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.