Thursday, March 17, 2016

MUSICAL INTERLUDE



Wait a minute! Don't run away! This is going to be painless. Or almost painless.

I was initially going to write something in honor of St. Patrick's Day, but suddenly realized that I'm not Irish. 

Then I was going to write an ode to welcome spring.....but I saw that the local weather forecast is predicting a frost (yes, a frost) for the first day of spring.

So, what's left?
I resorted to digging through my old YouTube videos and resurrecting a few musical selections for your torture  enjoyment.

These are two old rehearsal tapes, recorded in my Texas music studio. I simply propped a camcorder up on a bookcase above the piano and hoped for the best. I was out of practice and way past my California prime, so don't expect anything spectacular.

Some of my long-time readers have already seen these videos. I'm rehashing them for people who haven't seen them. 

Note:
Make sure your volume is turned DOWN. YouTube tends to go full blast.






Video #1
Rustle of Spring  Op.33 No.3
by Christian Sinding (1856-1941)

Video #2
Clair de Lune, from the Bergamasque Suite
Claude Debussy (1862-1918)   

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful performance, Jon! First heard Clair de Lune in the Frankie and Johnny movie (Nathan Lane stole the show). You somehow managed to give the piece an extra haunting quality...

    P.S. You really are a man of many talents - and cats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second piece; haunting, touching, passionate, gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - I had heard them before but they deserve repeating. BTW I don't think St Paddy would mind you celebrating his day even if you are not Irish! First time I was in the US on 17 March I was amazed at how widely it was celebrated. Now we have Irish in laws I am much more conscious of it and even got a St Patricks Day card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a new follower I did not know you had such hidden talents. Sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, you have me. Clair de Lune is one of my all time favorite pieces. Happy St, Patrick's Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and I like your Irish cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Performance much admired and appreciated,Jon. I have seen no snakes today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed
    I cant even play tiddlywinks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loverly! I even stopped the Beethoven CD I was listening to, so I could hear you play.

    But whattaya mean you aren't Irish? You should know by now that on St. Patty's Day, EVERYONE is Irish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo!! Have a great weekend! Sheila

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.