Wednesday, January 25, 2017

PAPRIKASH

Oh no! Not another musical post!

If you don't like my music videos, just ask yourself this question:
Would I rather read Jon's political rants or listen to his piano music?

Of the two evils, I think you'd choose music. Maybe.

I'm still in the process of transferring some of my old piano tapes to my computer. I found two very rare recordings that I'd like to share.

Why are they rare?
Because, to my knowledge, they are two of the very first piano recordings I ever made. Both tapes were in extremely poor condition (one was actually broken in half). My attempt to restore them was only minimally successful, but the results aren't too bad.

I hastily made these into YouTube videos - adding pictures solely to subtract from the poor audio quality.

Why the post title Paprikash?
Because both recordings are of Hungarian music.

The first tape is the Hungarian Rhapsody #11 in A minor by Franz Liszt. I recorded this in Los Angeles when I was only eighteen years old. It was a live performance.
(there's a part in the middle of the performance that sounds like a mistake, but that's where I spliced the damaged tape together).


 The second tape is the Csardas: A Cigany Lelke (Soul of a Gypsy), one of my own compositions.
I wrote and recorded this when I was nineteen.

Upon hearing this again, after so many years, I'm embarrassed at the brashness of my rather amateur effort. It is much more of an improvisation than a serious composition.
It's kind of weird to hear myself playing when I was so young.


11 comments:

  1. I am impressed. I like the name of the composition as much as I like the music. Csardas: A Cigany Lelke (Soul of a Gypsy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I like the name of the composition BETTER than the composition....(*smile*)

      Delete
  2. Please, if you belched in a paper bag most of us would listen!!!!! I enjoyed both ditties, but my favorite was the Hungarian Rhapsody #11 . I have never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll belch in a bag for an encore.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done, Jon. "A Cigany Lelke" is a wonderfully energetic work. When we are young, it seems part of life to create art that is a gift to who we will become. Such is the abundance of energy and endurance. Your tapes sound fine to me and I appreciate your presentation of them. You are remarkable. And what's that you were saying about politics? I'm a liberal of little memory who doesn't spend much brain on differences--but music, yes and poetry, stays with me always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever ran for president, I'd definitely vote for you.

      Delete
  4. In regards to your last post, I'm surprised blogger didn't remove your blog. It's obvious that you have not dated or had a relationship with someone outside your race. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't dated another race??? You would be VERY surprised.....

      BTW, you're not Mike, R U??

      Delete
  5. i enjoyed both selections. i play (by ear) since the age of 5, and listening to others play, gives me much enjoyment. now in my 60's (my ears tire easily) and yet i have time to give each performance its due and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... and here I thought your last post was worthy of printing and framing. Brava, Jon!

    Goodness, my fingers grew tired just listening to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, I'm beginning to think you're the only one who doesn't want to burn me at the stake. You have my eternal gratitude.

      Delete