Thursday, June 8, 2017

INTERMISSION





I accidentally deleted my original post and I'm in no mood to attempt reconstructing it. The problems I've been having with Blogger lately are enough to turn me into a homicidal maniac. Or a reasonable facsimile.

Anyway - 
here are two of my old piano recordings that I made in Los Angeles when I was in my early 20's. 

The first is a 1907 ragtime composition entitled The Shovel Fish, by Harry Levi Cook (1878-1953).
(I'm assuming a shovel fish is the same as a shovelnose catfish).

The second is the Piano Sonata in D minor op.31 no.2 by Beethoven - nicknamed The Tempest.
(this is the first movement)

Note: it's not very pleasant to see a smiling fish hovering above Beethoven's head, but that's the only way I was able to download these music files from Soundcloud. 

11 comments:

  1. They both made lovely background music whilst getting things done here this morning. Can I just hire you to come here and play? Of course my favorite was Beethoven. The fish!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like that Rag Jon, more of an old country girl's type. Are you playing music up there in those hills? The birds and bees would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Beethoven. BUT I loved the Shovel Fish Rag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon, both pieces are superb. Norma walked in on the 2nd one and asked if it was a duet --I told her, "No, but Jon has four arms." Not sure she believed me. Also like Beethoven's I-think-there's-a-fish-on-my-head expression. Thanks for sharing these two flawless and enjoyable recordings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fantastic. I agree with Geo. You MUST have had four hands to do such an awesome job with the Beethoven piece. I'm gonna have to listen to it again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. London 20 years ago....you know fuck all.......i have had it with your shit here....trump is a wanker and you are misguided.....and probably an isolated drunk ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - like all trolls, you are filled with an enormous amount of hate (and probably jealousy). I have a strong feeling that my apt observations struck a dark and dissonant chord in your soul.

      The fact that you've been hanging around here for so long proves the compelling magnetism of my attraction.

      Delete
  7. I love the Beethoven. It is very masculine. What kind of piano were you playing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jimmy. I have two Baldwin pianos - - both of which are slightly out of tune.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jon!
    Finally getting back to reading and posting blogs! By the way, I tried to leave a comment on your latest blog but there was no where to leave my comment. Did you close the comments?
    Ron

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.