Tuesday, October 24, 2017

IN THE MISTY MORN

 
"I saw old autumn in the misty morn, stand shadowless like silence listening to silence...."

Thomas Hood (1799-1845)

I first read the poem "Autumn" by Thomas Hood when I was sixteen and it immediately took up permanent residence in the romantic realms of my mind.

These many years later it still haunts me on misty autumn mornings, and transports me to those blissfully innocent times of  youthful romanticism that are never quite equaled in the harsh unromantic reality of adulthood.

Ironically, at a rather recent online auction, I was able to obtain a handwritten letter by Thomas Hood.

The photo of the spider web was taken by me last year in the back yard. I love it. 

Lately, I've been overwhelmed with personal problems and projects with deadlines - so instead of my usual verbose nonsense, I'll share some recent photos - all of which were taken within the past two days on my property here in the unforgiving wilderness.

Why "unforgiving", Jon?

Because I thought it sounded good. 
  


Yesterday was a dreary, rainy, misty day that was appropriately atmospheric and seemed to be haunted by October ghosts.

 A view from the back porch.

 I wandered over to get a glimpse at the neighboring cow meadow. The cows are far beyond those bales of hay.

 It gets dark out very early now. The sun made a brief (and feeble) appearance before sinking in the west.

 Sunset, taken from the front porch.

 The back yard this morning, on a breezy and very chilly day.


 Something's wrong with my camera lens, which makes this pic look spookier than it actually was.
I put these pumpkins on top of the refrigerator so Bosco wouldn't get at them...
.....so, of course, he climbed up there to check them out. 

P.S.
Here's the link (again) to my online store. I noticed that my "Floral" collection is still missing. I'll try to get it fixed soon (it's Zazzle's fault, not mine).

Catnip Cabaret 


Jon, you're getting us really irritated with that damn store.

Calm down. Irritation is my specialty.  

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, gives a feeling of peacefulness & a calm that infiltrates one's emotions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks Nan! I think we both need as much peacefulness and calm as we can get!

      Delete
  2. I love the touch of some Halloween pictures beginning to sneak in... you also have more foliage change then we have here. With a rainy summer and it still being very warm, our changing of the color is almost a month behind. Tree are usually bare by now and we have frost at least twice by now. But Global Warming is a myth don't you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll do some Halloween posts before the end of the month (those Silly Symphonies always inspire me). The autumn foliage here in TN hasn't quite peaked yet - it usually extends into November (but the wind has been blowing lots of leaves off the trees).

      Delete
  3. "...like silence listening to silence." I love that line. Thank you for reminding me of Thos. Hood, Jon. Your photos are magnificent. I'm especially moved by the misted cobweb. It took me back 15 years, when my youngest son --only 22 at the time-- offered his services as keyboardist to a band embarking on a world tour. He woke early one morning on the Island of Saint-Malo and sent back cobweb photos to us --some of which we had framed (I'm looking at one right now), but yours has a chromatic spectrum of sunlight that his camera couldn't capture. Do more please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I dislike spiders, I always leave the outdoor ones alone. Their webs are incredible.
      I took that particular photo in the morning, just as the sun was emerging over the trees. The light was just right and the web was wet with dew.

      How incredibly exciting to be able to participate in a world tour! I had no idea your son was a keyboardist.

      Delete
  4. I'm loving each of these images ... but the cow meadow. Wow.
    ... and Bosco? Cracks me up!

    Again, thanks for the new products. On-line shopping is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to climb over lots of moss and slippery rocks (not to mention thorns) to access the cow meadow - but the rewards were worth the effort. Everything looked wonderful in the autumn mists.

      Bosco is a real buffoon. He's always doing annoying but very funny things.

      I checked the store today and saw that Zazzle FINALLY put my latest products there. Next time I'll have to remember that it takes about three days. I have a lot more ideas for products, but presently I'm up to my neck doing other things.

      Delete
  5. Lovely fall pics!! Even the spider web and I am not overly fond of spiders (well, big ones).

    There is a colorful paw mug on the way to my apartment. (Sorry, I got it on sale--does that effect what you get?) I thought Ian might like to drink out of it, too, because he loves animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, I have always been terrified of spiders (no exaggeration) but I'm intrigued by the beautiful webs they weave. I always leave the outdoor spiders alone.

    I really like that paw print design and I'm delighted that you are smitten with it, too. Zazzle has a lot of sales on the products, but I don't think it effects my percentage of the price (and even if it does, I don't care). I'm glad you got it on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the pictures are lovely but my favorite is the sunset from your front porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sunset picture, too. That and the spider web are my favorites.

      Delete
  8. love the spider web. no sure i'd be too fond of seeing a spider though. i love your online store so much i bought my second tea mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified of spiders but I admittedly like their webs (from a safe distance).

      And I'm delighted that you bought another mug. I know that you like tea mugs as much as I do. I plan to put all of my online coffee and tea mugs in one collection - so they will be easier to find. I'll do it before the holiday season.

      Delete
  9. Your pic of the spider web is fantabulous! Very artsy fartsy. :)

    I like the other pics, too. They're very atmospheric. I don't know if there's something "wrong" with your camera or not, but I really like that hazy look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Fantabulous" - - hey, I like that word!

    My camera lens was acting very weird for one day - but I actually think something went awry while the photos were processing.
    I took some more photos today and the lens (or whatever) was back to normal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.