Sunday, October 29, 2017

SCARY STUFF




It wasn't until this morning, when I unwittingly glanced in the mirror, that I realized there are some advantages to growing older. I'll never again have to worry about buying a Halloween costume. I'm permanently wearing a mask that would win first prize for Best Spook at any Halloween party.

I initially thought I looked like Lurch from the Addam's Family.


 But on second glance I realized that Lurch looked infinitely better. 

On to a brighter note: scary stuff.
Halloween is my favorite time of year and I had planned on writing  a lot of scary Halloweeny stuff.

As I cowered in bed this morning - reluctant to crawl out from under the covers because of a severe back ache and the fact that the room was colder than a witch's tit - I came to the conclusion that my life here in the wilderness is much scarier than anything Halloween has to offer.

Every day here on Hillbilly Mountain is packed with various degrees of horror that would inspire the most staunch Halloween aficionado to cower and cringe.

The long perilous walk to the mailbox is enough to reduce tough men to tears. 

Having heavy boots sucked off your feet by the thick mud and battling 15 foot high weeds is nothing compared to the steep trek back to the house - which saps your breath, increases your heart rate to 300 beats a minute, and renders you semi-conscious by the time you're halfway home.

I won't bother to mention the coyotes that gleefully emit death howls at my back door at 3:00 a.m.
Or the mice that scratch mercilessly in the walls until 5:00 a.m. 
Or the 'possums under the house
Or the Unknown Creatures on the roof that makes my should-be-peaceful nights a living hell.

Did I mention the insects?
The only positive thing is that the temperature has suddenly dropped 400 degrees and many of the annoying insects are finally gone.

Yup, boys and girls, last night was below freezing. Today the daytime "high" was 35 degrees (that's Fahrenheit, for those of you in the Hebrides). There were snow showers early this morning.

And this is the coldest house I've ever lived in. If it's 35 degrees outside, it's minus 40 degrees inside. 

"Global warming", my shivering ass! 

I flatly refuse to put the heat on in October. I (supposedly) live in a mild southern state. If I wanted to put the heat on in October, I would have moved to Iceland. 

Is this post getting too long? Tough noogies. I'll stop for a moment to insert these delight photos that I snapped this morning from the back porch. Cloudy, dreary, frosty.



My cat Scratch (also know as Kitzee) was very sick a week ago. She has never had a sick day in twelve years, so I was extremely worried. Her behavior was frighteningly strange.

I was almost ready to call the vet, but decided to wait. In two days she began eating again. In three days she was beginning to act halfway normal.

Now, she is completely normal again and intent on making me delightfully miserable.

This afternoon she kicked Bosco off the bed and slept in his favorite place - so I am assured that she has made a full recovery.


Bosco was sleeping on this old green pillowcase, and Kitzee scared him off and took his place.

BTW-
the photo of Scratch (Kitzee) at the top of this post was taken when I lived in Texas. She's posing with one of the tiny pumpkins from my drought-stricken garden.

Well, that's enough scary stuff for now.
Just wait 'till Halloween....

28 comments:

  1. OMG, that expression! I wonder if that's what Hillary looks like when she remembers Election night. I'm so glad Scratch/Kitzee has returned to 'normal' ... can felines catch the flu?

    Seriously, I'm sorry to hear your back is acting up (again). Nevertheless, you make living amid all the challenges sound hilarious. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitzee was actually squinting from the camera flash, and it gave her a "Don't Mess With Me" look.
      Hillary was soused to the whiskers on Election Night...

      Kitzee was out on the back porch just before she got sick and I'm wondering if she had been bitten by something...or had eaten something toxic.

      My back has been completely ravaged ever since I fell on the ice two years ago. I did permanent damage.

      Delete
  2. since getting my mail is the high point to each day. i don't know how you can handle being so far from your mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mail used to be one of the high points of my day. Ever since moving here it has been a complete nightmare.

      Delete
  3. ps) glad the kitty is feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely relieved. I was very worried, especially since she's 12 years old.

      Delete
  4. Maybe you're missing your neighbors from Texas. Bet they are gearing up for Halloween about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Texas my neighbors thought every day (and night) was Cinco de Mayo.

      Delete
  5. Glad Kitzee is feeling fit. As for varmints, I've found crickets creeping into the kitchen and cruelly killed a couple --doubles as a tonguetwister. Always liked Lurch, wanted to hear him sing in that incredible voice. Deeper than Ford's "16 Tons" or Robison's "Ole Man River". Halloween stuff. Sure hope you haven't been affected by the Google-Friend-Connect-Fisaco I, and a world of others have been baffling about this past week --see latest "Trainride..." Be careful on your property, take slow and easy. I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would welcome crickets, compared to all the other horrors I've had to deal with. It would be a hoot to see Lurch singing "Ole Man River".

      That Big Google Glitch is very weird and annoying. I haven't been affected (or infected) yet....but give it time....
      I hope a solution is found soon.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I had forgotten about the "you rang?" thing. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
      Kitzee sends kisses your way.

      Delete
  7. If it gets too scary there, maybe you could move back to your old neighborhood in Texas. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't completely recovered from my old neighborhood in Texas. Out of the two evils, I'd rather be here in the scary Boonies.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad she's feeling better--hurray!
    It is that cold down by you, too! We're suppose to have a high of 34 degrees for the poor kids on Halloween. Cold months get colder and hot months get hotter. I still prefer the cold to the heat and humidity, though.
    Have a good week. Hope your back is better and you get some sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids will really have to bundle up for Halloween where you live. Perhaps they can go trick or treating as polar bears.
      Fortunately the cold weather didn't last long here. It got back up in the 50's today (Monday).

      Delete
  9. Jon,

    Glad to hear your cat is better. Ah, you're place might have been very inspiring back in my horror writing youth.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place does inspire a lot of horror stories - mostly featuring Mother Nature rather than ghosts.

      Delete
  10. I am so glad that Scratch is better now. Sounds as if going to pick up your mail keeps you fit. You'll probably end up as one of those old guys who rushes around till they're 110 because they're so tough and hardy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially THOUGHT I was tough and hardy - - until I moved here. This rural place is lovely but I think it's already subtracted 20 years from my life.
      I hope your prediction is right....

      Delete
  11. Hi Jon - I've been hit with one bug after another and it's only October. Yippee, cold and flu season is upon us. I'm glad Scratch has bounced back.

    Now if only your injured back would stop plaguing you .... then perhaps life on Hillbilly Mountain ( as you called it ) would be easier to contend with. I'll have to check out your new shop since I'm behind on everything, but congrats and good luck with it all. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that you've been hit with the flu bug (especially so early in the season). Fortunately I haven't been sick (yet) - - only the usual aches and pains.
      I was really worried about Scratch, because she's never been sick in twelve years. She had been out on the back porch right before she got sick - so perhaps she ate something disagreeable.

      I still have a lot of work to do on my online store - it's not very organized, but at least I have a lot of products.
      Anyway, take care and I hope you feel better and can avoid future bugs (easier said than done).

      Delete
  12. Jon,
    Nice Halloween posting! Oh I know all too well of what looks back at one when one looks in the mirror. In my mind I think I look thirty years younger than the cruel image that is reflected back to me today in my mirror. Living in the country, one with nature so to speak, has it advantages but more disadvantages. I don't like to be too far away from my local supermarket, hospital, and other conveniences. I remember years ago my aunt and uncle moved to the mountains in Avery County in western North Carolina. My uncle was born nearby (hillbilly country) but his family moved to Pennsylvania when he was a teenager. He wants to spend his declining years "in the mountains." My aunt, was miserable living in such isolation in those mountains, miles away from any store and then only down twisty, dangerous mountain roads. She told me at night she would often be awaken by the woman like screams of mountain lions. I visited them once and man oh man, they were isolated, but not of me though. Beautiful mountain scenery though.
    I'm glad Scratch is back to good health. Happy Halloween Jon!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Ron. In my (delusional) mind I keep thinking I'm still twenty. When I look in the mirror I see a stranger and can't believe how much time has flown by.

      There are definitely a lot of disadvantages and inconveniences living in a rural area. I absolutely love the beauty and peace - - but that's about it. The isolation is scary....and driving to town is a big nightmare. Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  13. Hey Jon, how do I go about getting an invite to Cabinet of Curious Treasures? I'm blocked from looking at it.
    Happy Halloween. At least you're isolated from trick or treaters, as are we.
    We've had snow twice but it all has melted. Still darn chilly though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently changed the settings on "Cabinet" because I planned to discontinue the blog. Last night - in a moment of regret - I started a new post "Happy Halloween" but never finished it. I'll change my settings to "public" again- - and I'll TRY to finish the new post sometime tonight.

      Delete
  14. I'm rather fond of Lurch. Mostly because that's what my favorite aunt used to call me when I was a teen. Not because of my appearance, hopefully, but because I wasn't particularly... graceful. :)

    Fun post. And in spite of all your complaints about living in Tennessee, I bet it's still a lot better than your life in Texas.

    Oh yeah, we've had some chilly days, but it's gonna be in the high seventies for the next few days and up to eighty by Monday. Maybe you didn't move far enough south. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our frigid weather didn't last long (thankfully). It warmed up to about 58 today and is supposed to get even warmer by the weekend.
      I live in northern TN - in fact I'm only about five miles from Kentucky.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.