Thursday, November 2, 2017

EMBARRASSED



I initially wasn't going to write about this in my blog, but - what the heck - I'll reveal it anyway.

First, let me do a preface:
When I was a kid ( a couple hundred years ago) there was delightful diversity in automobiles. Different styles, varieties of color, uniqueness.

You could immediately tell the make of a car just by glancing at it.
Nash Rambler, De Soto, Pontiac, Chevy.

Gradually, a great (and unhappy) change began to take place in the automobile industry. Uniqueness and diversity dwindled....and eventually vanished.

Cars took on an annoying, clinical, assembly-line sameness - - to the point that nowadays ALL cars look exactly alike and seem to be the same bland color.

When you leave your car in a shopping center parking lot, it immediately blends in with the 800 other grey or silver nondescript four-door sedans. 

Okay, now that I got that out of the way I'll continue with my story. 

I made the dreaded drive to town last Monday (Oct. 30) and got a really late start. I had to go to numerous places and was in a hurry.

I always do my grocery shopping last, so that (hopefully) the frozen food won't perish on the way home.

So I emerged from the supermarket with a shopping cart filled to the brim with food.

It was windy. The late afternoon sun was nearly blinding me, and my vision wasn't very clear anyway - because I was wearing old contact lenses. Let's also throw in the fact that I was exhausted from lack of sleep.

The parking lot is a complete blur and - of course - all the vehicles look exactly alike.

I finally find my car - the silver four-door sedan. I unlock the door and reach for the lever under the driver's seat to open the trunk. 
That's when I notice the faux-leopard skin scarf on the front seat.

Funny thing is - - I don't own a faux-leopard skin scarf. It would clash with my quasi-hillbilly Army fatigue
wardrobe. 

That's when I took a second look at the car and saw the sun roof!!
My car doesn't have a sun roof.

Why in the hell didn't I notice that before?????

In abject astonishment (to say the very least) I slammed the door, backed away from the car....

....and suddenly found my own car a very short distance away.

To say that I was embarrassed and stunned would be a gross understatement. I've done plenty of stupid things in my time, but I've NEVER gotten into the wrong car. Not while I was sober, anyway.

I quickly scanned the parking lot and don't think anyone saw me. Thank Gawd the owner of the car didn't show up. I would have had a lot of explaining to do.
Or "splainin", as Ricky Ricardo would say.

What really baffles me is that my key unlocked the door on the other car. I'm not kidding. I'm not certain if that car was the same make as mine - because I left too quickly to notice.

Anyway, that's my tale of embarrassment - - and carelessness...and stupidity......

23 comments:

  1. Jon, you're not the only one! This has happened to me twice. I hit the "unlock" button on my electronic key and the door unlocks. I assume it's my car --until I see unfamiliar objects in it. After all, how many key-codes can numbers generate? You're right, cars don't look like wide-eyed road-royalty any more. From the front, they're slanty and look upset. They look like they want to crawl in holes. And, Oh yes, the 2nd time it happened to me, the car's owner was right behind me. I apologized profusely and skedaddled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Geo, it's (slightly) reassuring to know that I'm not the only one. I like your description of "wide-eyed road royalty" - it's very apt. The cars not only look alike, they've lost all their color. I miss those old two-tone cars. My father had a two-tone red and white Willys.

      Delete
  2. My Barcelona Red truck is a bit easier to find but just in case I put a red, white, and blue sticker in the back glass. It is kind of scary that your key fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really amazed that my key fit! It's a good thing I didn't drive it home!
      When I lived in Texas my pickup truck was easy to spot.

      Delete
  3. The same thing happened to me years ago when I had my first Saturn. I couldn't believe my key unlocked it! I had the same feeling you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought it was possible for one key to unlock another car, but apparently it's more common than I imagined.
      Perhaps I can embark on a new career of stealing cars...

      Delete
  4. That happened to me once upon a time too. It's weird to think the same key works for two different cars, but you're living proof it does. nothing to be embarrassed about at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine why I didn't initially see the sun roof on the car. My mind (or what's left of it) must have really been preoccupied.

      Delete
  5. Too funny! Thank you for lightening up my eve, Jon.

    I totally 'get' what you wrote about the banal look of today's automobiles. ... As well as suburban housing developments.
    Remember that song? -- "And they're all made out of ticky-tacky, and they all look just the same."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly remember that song, and it's so true. This nation-wide sameness is as annoying as it is confusing. I'm glad my blunder gave you some smiles. I was too stunned to even think. All I wanted to do was hightail it out of there....

      Delete
  6. Lol - no need to be embarrassed at all. I think quit a lot of us have gone to the wrong car, myself included. I just couldn't open the vehicle with my key less remote thingy. I am surprised that your key fit though - how odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the thing that shocked me the most - - when my key unlocked the door. It was extremely easy for me to get in.

      By the way, thanks for sending the info about Tranquille. I emailed you tonight.

      Delete
    2. I did that too where I used to work. Same red Cavalier. I got in closed the door put the key in the ignition & when I went to start the car I thought where's the clutch? This car was an automatic! I jumped out so fast found my own car two cars away & squealed the wheels on my way out.

      Delete
    3. That's really funny! At least you got in another red Cavalier.
      The car that I went to looked exactly like mine from the back - but I'll never know how I missed seeing the sun roof.
      It happened in the parking lot at Save-a-Lot.

      Delete
  7. I'm more shocked that you could unlock the car! Now that is scary!!

    I can't tell cars apart and always had a time finding mine. I'm lucky I never got inside of someone else's car, but I did try unlocking the door with my key once. Didn't open. But there you go--could have happened to me, too, if the door had opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what shocked me the most. I couldn't believe that my key unlocked the door!! I always try to remember where I park before going into a store.....but I'm always clueless and confused when I get out.

      Delete
  8. Oh crap, another pithy observation of mine has disappeared (I can say that since no one will read it)

    Luxury cars look the same as cheap vehicles nowadays. It is hard to tell them apart.

    We have three vehicles and sometimes forget which one we had driven that day. Senile much?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even Cadillacs and Rolls Royces have completely lost their unique look. I used to have three vehicles when I lived in Texas and the upkeep drove me crazy.
    Now I only have one vehicle - - and I STILL can't remember what car I drove....(*smile*).

    Sorry that your pithy observation was lost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jon,
    I made this mistake myself. However, it was back in the Fifties, when many cars WERE different. I had went with my Mother to the local Farmers' Market. She had a '57 Chevy, two tone white and red. She went one way at the Farmers' Market and I the other way. I finished my shopping before she did and I exited the Farmers' market and got into my Mom's car. At least I think I did. As I was sitting there waiting for her I noticed a strange afghan on the back seat. Hmmmm. Then I saw cigarette in the ashtray. My Mom didn't smoke. Then I saw some other things that didn't make sense. Then I realized I was in the WRONG car and I quickly exited before the owner of the car came out. What gets me what are the odds that a car just like hers would be parked at the back of the Farmers' market in the same area? Since that time in the Fifties I've tried to get in the wrong car several times. I have a red Subaru Forester and there are a number of red Subaru Foresters in the parking lot at Walmart and BJ's. Fortunately my remote lock wouldn't open those doors.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an amazing story, Ron, especially (as you said) because cars DID look different in the fifties. In retrospect it's really funny that you were sitting in the wrong car. It's a good thing the owner didn't show up.

    I'm still in shock over the fact that my key unlocked the door on this other car. It was probably the same make as my car, but I didn't take the time to look

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jon,

    Not to be embarrassed, I'm sure this happens plenty of times. When I was a lad I went grocery shopping with my grandparents every Friday evening. I was old enough to wander off to the 5 & 10 to spend my allowance, then I would go wait in the car. I had settled in, was readinga comic when suddenly I relized I was in the wrong vehicle.

    Once upon a time I owned a 1966 VW Beetle. I came out of the house and there was a fellow with my hood up about to tinker with the engine (which was in the back(. I walked up to behind him and said hello, and he said hello and then I asked what he was doing. He said his girlfriend had asked him to look at her car for some trouble. I said, well, you know this is my car. Now there was an embarrassed guy. Then I thought maybe I should have waited until he tuned it up before I told him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing these stories, Larry. Apparently getting into the wrong car isn't quite as uncommon as I initially thought it was. I certainly remember those (very popular) VW beetles - and they all looked exactly alike.

      Delete
  13. This sounds like something I would do. What saves me is the very large amateur radio antenna at the back of my car. Kinda makes it stand out in a crowd. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.