Saturday, November 11, 2017

FROSTED

The only good thing about the sudden arrival of cold weather is that the Asian beetles are finally gone. They started dropping faster than soldiers at the siege of Stalingrad.

That's a crappy analogy, but it's all I could think of.

It took me over a day to clean up all the carcasses - but I'm still occasionally finding some on the carpets and windowsills (in case you're innocently perplexed, read my previous post).

The deliciously balmy weather has vanished. Yesterday the daytime high temp. was 42 degrees (that's Fahrenheit, for those of you in Cambodia). Tonight it is 25 degrees. Which means I'm frosted.

This is the coldest house I ever lived in. Drafts are rampant. Dampness prevails. Cold spots of Amityville proportions are everywhere. The heater's efforts are feeble and costly. I rely on it as little as possible.

I miss the fireplace that I had in Texas - but fireplaces are messy and a pain in the butt if you have to rely on them for warmth.

I'm in a bitchy mood and merely talking to myself. The cold is the very least of my problems. Without going into horrific details, I'll just say that life in the wilderness can be a challenge. 

"Challenge", my ass. It can be a devastatingly relentless nightmare.

On the bright side, my three cats are surviving.
Bosco sleeps under the covers with me.
Scruffy sleeps on my legs (which is why I always feel half-dead by morning).
Scratch sleeps in a chair and I cover her with a big towel.

Despite what my enemies think, I'm a sweetheart.

Jon, it's impossible to believe that you have enemies.

There are a few sorely misguided people who refuse to acknowledge my charm, wit, and intellect.

Did I spell "acknowledge" correctly?

Since I'm in a foul mood and have absolutely nothing interesting to say, I'll offer a few uninteresting back yard photos (taken yesterday).



The trees are shedding leaves quickly and the autumnal beauty is fading fast (not unlike myself...).




Now that most of the leaves are gone, I can see the nearby mountain again.
Well, technically it's probably more like a large hill.
Hell, I've seen bigger boobs in Beverly Hills.....


This is the road that winds past my property. That's where my mailbox is located. Somewhere....





 Unrelated note:

I'm in the process of adding a Holiday and Winter collection to my online store (including Christmas cards). It should be ready by Sunday.
I figure I might as well pimp the store.



Things still keep mysteriously appearing and disappearing on the storefront, despite my settings. Zazzle is as annoying as Blogger.


 

23 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you don't want to cover yourself with cats when sleeping. They have figured you're the best source of warmth, surely it should be mutual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feline bed companions actually do provide warmth. Bosco is a huge cat and he generates warmth like an electric blanket.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous color you have. We have been extremely warm up here. But this week , we too, have gotten cold. We went from in the 70's right too 40' and 30's at night, which is transforming the leaves it seems over night. But later this week warm again. The weather is all screwed up. I will have to check out your holiday wears....in the store that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foliage colors are really lingering this year and I love it.

      BTW - you can check out my wears any time you like....

      Delete
  3. Colorful autumn pics. With a drafty house like that be glad you don't live up here where we've had it down in the single digits already. Brrr! If I had a bigger bed Annie would sleep with me but she's afraid of the limited room and my restless nights (pain) on the twin. Can't blame her. Hope you're in a better mood soon. Hugs from Fargo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sleep on a twin bed, too, and it gets kinda crowded with the cats (not to mention uncomfortable). It definitely aggravates my bad back. Some people think I should kick the cats out - but I'm not that cruel.

      Delete
    2. I would never kick Annie out, either. When Karma was alive I was very conscious of her occasional visits to the bed and was careful to leave her enough room. She would only lay up by my head/chest on the one side of the bed when I was facing that way--LOL! So I would lay on that side way too long--until I was so sore I had to change to the other side and she would leave. Still miss her. :)

      Delete
  4. You mean you didn't make a batch of beetle juice ... just kidding. At least the buggers are gone for the year. It is a bit chilly in your parts, but it's colder here. Wood burning fireplaces are a royal pain in the butt. I hate the mess and having the damper open just lets in cold air anyhow. A wood stove, or better yet, a pellet stove would keep you warm and toasty.

    Sad that Autumn is slipping away ... maybe that's affecting your mood. I get a bit cranky at this time of year as well. Take care !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wood-burning fireplaces are really a pain, and I certainly remember the Texas wind howling down the chimney. One time (on New Year's Eve) I forgot to open the damper and the whole house filled with smoke. It took days to fully air it out.

      I'm always rather depressed at the end of autumn, with the coming of winter.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures. Yep I think that is a mountain, anyway it would be to us. We had a little cool snap and managed to blow out a fuse by using the bathroom heater and a space heater in the living room at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually that mountain looks much bigger in real than it does on the photo. This is definitely mountain country - - or at least very high hill country.

      I'm thinking about buying a space heater or something similar.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jon. Yup, I know all about draughts. Live in an Edwardian cottage with a stable door/front door that has the north wind whistling through it at times. I’m off tomorrow to buy draught excluders; gonna try DIY. (Not too optimistic actually). Wish me luck. MaggieB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Maggie - I would LOVE to live in an Edwardian cottage. I think the charm would help me tolerate the whistling north winds (but I'm sure the winds can be very annoying in the winter).
    Good luck in your battle with the drafts (sorry - I'm using the American spelling of draughts).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're rid of all those darned beetles, but too bad about the cold temperatures. Hopefully, fall temperatures will come back for a return engagement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beetles are gone - but I noticed that as soon as the temperature warms up some of them start reappearing (not as many as the first influx, however).
      The weather has been a roller coaster ride lately - constant ups & downs.

      Delete
  9. the kitties take up more of the bed than you do from the sounds of it. as long as you can wrestle a spot from them, you're good. at least that is the way it is here. pretty countryside surrounds you out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kitties definitely make the bed crowded (not to mention uncomfortable) but they're adorable and I don't have the heart to kick them out.
    I love this time of year but October has passed much too quickly and now the colorful foliage is fading fast. Can hardly believe that Thanksgiving is next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jon, because of some tremendous astronomical anomaly October only lasted about ten minutes this year. I don't know what season it is anymore. I wake up, go outside and say, "What the hell is this?" The birds and squirrels scold from the trees, like it's all my fault. Possibly, in a general human over-pollution way, they could be right. I have decided not to accept EPA standards as guidelines until they hire more wild animals as advisors. Your photos are vibrantly beautiful and most encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that my photos are encouraging - that's more than I can say for my attitude. It's a sure fact that time goes more quickly as we get older. Remember how endless summer vacation seemed when we were kids? Nowadays I can't even keep track of the seasons. I go to bed in the spring and wake up to find that it's suddenly winter.

      Delete
  12. Jon,
    Glad to be back here at your blog! Been busy, busy, busy. Hopefully I can get back on my regular blog reading schedule. The cold weather has arrived here in southern Delaware on the coast too. Took care of the mosquitoes and flies. Always enjoy seeing photos of your wooded paradises surroundings. Reminds me of those times I visited the mountains of western North Carolina, just over the border of eastern Tennessee visiting my father's hillbilly roots. Even though I never lived in those mountains I always felt a sense of "home" when visiting just like I do when I see your photos.
    Have a great day!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our roots are always in our souls, Ron. That's undoubtedly why you feel so at home in this part of the country. This is a lovely, peaceful place.
      I'm glad you're visiting blogs again, but I can understand how busy you are. Even though I live alone in the wilderness, I still don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do. There aren't enough hours in a day.

      Delete
  13. H'lo again, Jon! Your images are great ... even more so than Alabama ... but I love it best when you 'talk' about Scratch, Bosco and Scruffy.
    I hadn't paused to consider our own girls' sleeping positions until now ... and how I accommodate my bad back, so as not to disturb the fur-brats. LOL.

    I'm looking forward to Catnip Cabaret's new winter line!


    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I like the term "Fur Brats" - it's very appropriate. My cats always compromise my sleeping positions and contribute to my back and leg problems.

    I added my "winter line" to the store, but I'm still making new products for it. I'll probably be finished by Easter.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.