Saturday, January 13, 2018

FROZEN LEAVES


Why Frozen Leaves? Because it sounds nice. And the leaves (or those few remaining) are indeed frozen solid today. I encountered some on my morning walk in the woods.


There hasn't been much excitement around here since the customer service repairman came (last Monday) to fix my router.
That sounds deliciously salacious.
Actually, he fixed my computer's router. Not mine.
Unfortunately. 
(I just threw that in to unnerve you).

The next day I had to drive to town. A wet, gloomy, damp, dreary, very misty day. It was Gothic. 

For the second time in a row I forgot to buy trash bags. I'm completely out of them. 
Make a list, Jon.
I made a list. I still forgot to buy them.

Whenever I go into town everything is a complete frenzy. The endlessly long and harrowing drive is enough to impede my memory. Then I have to haul my trash to the dump (this time in improvised trash bags). I have to put gas in the car, go to the bank, pay bills (I never pay online anymore - for reasons I won't go into), and get a month's worth of groceries. And cat supplies.

By the time I get done running around I can't even remember what gender I am - let alone what I have to buy.

On the way home, when I finally reached my property, my car got stuck in the mud. With an incredibly bad back and mud up to my knees, I'm pushing and dragging the friggin' car out of the relentless quicksand.

Then I have to drag bags and bags of groceries up the mercilessly muddy hill to the back door. Slipping, sliding, and gasping for breath.

I'm giving you the kind and gentle version. My existence here in the wilderness - at best - is beyond the deepest realms of hell. 

On the bright side, we had two gloriously warm days in the 50's (Wednesday and Thursday). It was so wonderful that I actually opened my bedroom window for a few hours.

On Friday the temperature dropped rapidly. Snow flurries all night. Today (Saturday, I think) the daytime "high" temperature is 18 degrees (Fahrenheit). It's supposed to get much colder next week. 

Here are a few photos I took today - along with sunsets on the recent warm days (Wed/Thurs).

 I mostly take the sunset photos from the front porch. It's the easiest way to do it.




 I couldn't stay out very long today because my fingers were nearly frozen (I don't have gloves)

Not a living soul except for me (partially alive) and a few birds. I did hear several woodpeckers. 



There were flurries all day long but not much accumulation.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Now that's a good question - - there are good and bad aspects to both places.
      I don't miss the wind, heat, scorpions, or 24/7 drug parties that my illegal immigrant neighbors indulged in. But I miss the LOW humidity, good highways, and the ability to buy booze. And lower food prices!

      Delete
  2. No wonder you only go to town once each month! I think I'd be tempted to stuff my trash in olden clothes (hillbilly version of the Build-A-Bear fad) put them out to pasture and set 'em on fire. Or, are you not permitted to burn on the property?

    That sunset picture is wonderfully arresting. Still, I'm drawn to #1. (Probably on account it was 78 stupid degrees today.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can burn trash out here but a burn permit is required - - I honestly don't know much about it. I'm a sissy city boy at heart.

      I hate the heat and I hate the cold. Out of the two evils - I'd probably choose the cold climate, however. Having to deal with heat all year long is depressing. It's fun to experience the change of seasons.

      Delete
    2. Jon, where I live in Alabama, obtaining a permit is as simple as calling your local fire marshal. They give a yea or nay based on current conditions. And their fire spotters are then aware of where to expect to see smoke so you don’t have emergency vehicles show up in your front yard. You could call a local fire station about procedures in your area.

      Delete
  3. The sunset pictures are lovely but it sure seems lonely there. I think I would even be glad to see the repairman. I would probably tie him to the chair and drown him with coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to live in a quiet, peaceful place...but sometimes it's TOO quiet and peaceful...

      Delete
    2. Stunning! We only get wet/damp leaves in Portland. I like the frozen kind better. I think it's because I was born and raised in Chicago.

      Oh, and the subject of Texas came up: The best thing to come out of Texas is the late great Janis Joplin :-)

      Delete
    3. That one particular tree is only a few feet away from the house - and the leaves never seem to fall off of it. They turn amber in the autumn and hang on all winter. It's strange.

      Janis Joplin is a Texas treasure.

      I hope you're staying warm and cozy.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful sunset shots! I love the woods and the peacefulness of where you live. The mud, I could do without. Lived in the country in Wisconsin--hilly--and muddy in the spring. Had to lay down lumber to walk on to get to the house from the car. Have you ever tried that? Was a solution that didn't cost an arm and a leg--made a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lumber is a great idea, but it is so EXTREMELY hilly here that it wouldn't work. I've never seen any place like it.
      Last summer I tried to use a ladder to do some work on the house and it kept toppling over because the ground isn't level anywhere. I'm always slipping and sliding.

      The snow around here looks like Amateurville compared to what you get way up north. More snow is expected on Tuesday. I'm hoping there will be at least a few inches so I can take some better photos.

      Delete
  5. I love the eeriness of that last picture. I can almost feel the exist of the wood from the Snow Queen herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the last picture, too. It has an intriguing sense of dreariness which reflects my soul.

      Delete
  6. My goodness, wondering why you don't have gloves! Wonderful pictures. In frozen weather I'm not sure I could even take photos without gloves. Maybe I'm just a softie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have gloves but have no idea what happened to them and never thought of buying new ones. Fortunately the woods are extremely close to the house and I wasn't out long.
      But my fingers were NUMB!!!

      Delete
  7. buy youself a hat and some gloves. do you ever question why you moved there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several hats but can't find the gloves that I used to have. I'll probably buy another pair - even though I try not to go out very often in frigid weather.
      I plan to eventually write a blog post (or several) about how I wound up in this situation. It's a long story...,

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.