Thursday, January 4, 2018

ONLY A DUSTING



Yesterday I frightened and confused you with my poetry. Today I'll enthrall you with a dusting of snow.

Only a dusting. Ernest Shackleton or the Donner Party would have laughed at it. But I enjoyed it - most especially because there was no annoying accumulation. It happened just before dawn.

As soon as is it got light - - fool that I am - - I ventured outside and snapped a few extremely unimpressive photos. Since it was only about ten (10) degrees, my fingers nearly froze in a couple of minutes.....but I was able to leave my signature (first photo).

The temperature has been below freezing all week and usually drops to zero late at night. I feel lethargic and completely unmotivated. Despite the fact that I have many very important things to do, I have been doing nothing.

I crawl into bed and read. I care for the cats (which in itself can sometimes be a never-ending nerve wracking chore). 
Last night, in the throes of insomnia, I watched the 1990 Australian Ballet production of  Coppelia, with Lisa Pavane and Greg Horsman (who, at the time, were married). It was superb and lifted my spirits to dangerously high levels.
Note: this production is available on YouTube (search Australian Ballet, Coppelia).

I'm hoping that sometime soon I will thaw out and resume my mundane, unenviable, miserable, complicated, unconventional life.
I said that with a smidgen of humor, but nobody's laughing.

Photos! Photos, please!

At the crack of dawn, before it was light. I used the (camera) flash.

The trail that leads to my car
(the garage is still too crowded with junk to accommodate any vehicles)

 In the afternoon the temperature soared to 15 degrees (Fahrenheit, for those of you in Pakistan) and the sun appeared.

                                                                                                                                                           

I'll be the first to admit that this is a crappy blog post. 
Have no fear - much more exciting things will be appearing in the future.
 

20 comments:

  1. I have to say Jon, that may be the most neat I have ever seen anyone pee their name and year in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - I have a pistol and know how to use it.

      Delete
  2. I just read your poetry which is beautifully written, heartfelt, and so touching. And this is not a crappy post. I love all the pictures and your narration is always interestingly ( is that a word ) presented.

    It does look like it could be a slippery slope on the way to your car. Be careful, especially in cowboy boots.

    It seems the entire eastern coast is having miserable weather. Stay warm and hibernate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words about my poetry. And I'm sure "interestingly" is a real word (but I'm definitely no expert...).

      I know for a fact that cowboy boots can be dangerous and have no traction. I was wearing them when I slipped on the ice three years ago and injured my back. I still have enormous back pain much of the time.

      The east coast is really being bombarded with bad weather. I'd like to hibernate until summer..

      Delete
    2. Actually, there IS a slippery slope at the end of the trail to my car, and I'll fallen down it numerous times (especially in the muddy rain).

      Delete
  3. Hi Jon. I would rather have your cold weather than the almost constant wet weather I am having here in dear old Blighty. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, John - it's good to hear from you. I hope you're enjoying your travels - and staying dry.... Have a wonderful 2018!

      Delete
  4. Still, you're consistently here (yay)... which is more than I can say for myself. The winter sky in your last image is so pretty. I'm always entertained by my visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am annoyingly consistent, but it's a matter of debate if I'm actually "here".
      The winter sky is always lovely but sun remains very low all day long. It must be hovering over Arizona...

      Delete
  5. We finally had a sunshiney Texas day here but it was still cold. Many more days of this cold and I will be begging for a Texas summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a tough winter everywhere. I hadn't realized Tennessee would get this cold. I doubt if I'll thaw out until summer.

      Delete
  6. a perfectly neat signature in the snow. love the trees in the predawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have taken better photos, but I mostly stayed on the back porch. The signature turned out pretty good, considering that I had frozen fingers.

      Delete
  7. I too read your previous post poems and was moved and impressed. Try not to get too uncomfortable in that sweltering 15-degree weather. Just remember California, back when wags would say "Hot enough for ya?" on 100+ degree days. I believe the polite reply was "Dork!" I like "Jon 2018" carved in the elements much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "hot enough" question has always annoyed me - - but now I have to endure the "Is it cold enough for you?" question. If my hands weren't frozen, I'd punch faces.

      Delete
  8. It's not crappy! I enjoyed it. Surprised to see snow so far south, but there have been a lot of snow surprises this year already all over the place. I finished watching season three of Fargo and snuggled up with Annie. Cats are like furry hot water bottles! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow was quite heavy the first winter that I was here, but there was none at all last year. I'm hoping this "dusting" is all we get. Ironically, one of my cousins moved to Florida to get away from harsh winters - - and it's snowing there!

      You're absolutely right - cats are like furry hot water bottles. Scruffy and Bosco help keep me warm in bed (Scratch stays away because she's not exactly fond of being with the other two cats).

      Delete
    2. Crap, lost my comment and too lazy to re-type it. It snowed all day Wednesday. Anchorage got 4.1 inches. I think we got more. Still, nothing like the East coast where one place I read about had 17 inches.
      Stay warm. If you can afford it you might look into insulating your home before next winter.
      It should help. Of course that means workmen which can either be a pleasant experience or total nightmare.

      Delete
    3. Sorry about losing your comment - I've done that numerous times. Insulation would definitely help - - also storm windows. My windows are very thin and drafty (even though they're fairly new).
      I'm hoping we don't get any snow accumulation this year. A dusting is enough.
      It's going to be near zero again tonight.

      Delete
  9. Glad to see you signed the new year in!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.