Tuesday, January 30, 2018

SPANISH NOCTURNE




Okay - I posted this a few days ago but quickly removed it because I thought it was a crappy video (too long and boring with extremely poor audio quality).
Thanks to the encouragement of a few kind people , I decided to post it again.


This video is Spanish Nocturne, one of the compositions that I wrote in Los Angeles when I was 22 years old. It was originally written for orchestra, but I later transcribed it for electric keyboard - which is the version I used for this video. 
In all honesty, the orchestral version is much better than the electric keyboard - which lacks audio fullness and emotional depth.

I'll be the first to admit that my "talent" for composition is limited - yet I composed a large number of works when I was a music student (thankfully, most are forgotten). 

In Spanish Nocturne I attempted to convey the essence, or flavor, of the Spanish guitar: intriguing, plaintive, exotic, often sensual.

At the time that I wrote Spanish Nocturne I was quite influenced by the compositions of Joaquin Rodrigo (1901-1999) - most especially the superb Concierto de Aranjuez. Incredibly, Rodrigo was blind - he lost his sight at the age of three from diphtheria. 

Since I'm often harshly self-critical, I'm hesitant to share this video publicly (which I previously kept "private" on YouTube).
The audio quality is very poor, and - among other things - I think the composition is too long. I could have probably cut it by half. 

One more thing - my electric keyboard was one of the many items the movers "lost" (or stole) when I moved to Tennessee. I miss it, but can't afford to buy a new one.

17 comments:

  1. Jon !
    If I made you a wonderful cake and said "you will probably think this is crap ".I would not be doing you , me or the cake justice . Take my point ? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - your point is well taken.
      And, just for the record, the cake is delicious!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you did, Jon. The electric keyboard sure adds a different touch!
    However briefly, your accompanying graphics transported me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electric keyboard did a good job of simulating the guitar. I tried to use all graphics and paintings of Spain, but it wasn't easy (I had to cheat on a few of them).

      Delete
  3. LOVED it. Beautiful. Just beautiful. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It makes me feel better about re-posting it.

      Delete
  4. Glad you posted it again. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Paula. The music reminds me of West Texas!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for reposting this beautiful piece, Jon. The keyboard comes alive in strings --I felt transported back to a Carlos Montoya concert Norma and I attended in 1969. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, your music and imagery left me in a state of awe. How can one person have so much talent? This just proves you are a very strong person and a true survivor.

      I once spoke Spanish fluently, but now only remember a few words. I grew up in a Spanish area, so I had to speak Spanish on a daily basis.

      I learned to love the music (Eres Tu is still a much loved favorite of mine), but I no longer can converse in Spanish. Hell, I often struggle with English!

      Beautiful composition, and you never fail to amaze me. Is there anything that you cannot do :-)

      Delete
    2. Geo - Carlos Montoya was a great guitarist - - and I was born on his birthday, December 13.
      (me, Susan, Carlos, and Mary Todd Lincoln)

      Delete
    3. Dylan, your kind words are greatly appreciated. I wish that I would have had faith in my talents - instead of going through life feeling completely inferior with a lot of self-loathing. Self-confidence is not something easily gained..... and it can be quickly cut down by vicious, jealous people.

      I also like Eres Tu but haven't heard it in a long time.
      And I really like the twp songs you recently posted on your blog (Elton John and Bette Midler). "The Rose" reminds me of my Hollywood days.

      BTW - I recorded my piano version of "The Rose" and I'll post it some time - if I can find it in my music files.

      Delete
  6. Jon! Knock it off! NEVER doubt your talent, and for goodness sake, NEVER apologize for it. Your composition is wonderful... and it is NOT too long. Too bad you don't have a recording of the orchestral version, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always count on you to boost my depleted ego and validate my self-worth. Thank you, Susan!!

      Delete
  7. I was listening--beautiful--and it seemed like at the end I was just cut off too soon or too abruptly. I would have kept listening. It wasn't too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked the video to make sure that the end wasn't unintentionally cut off - - and it was fine. I deliberately wrote the ending with two very brief, abrupt chords.
      Thanks for listening!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.