Sunday, February 11, 2018

RHAPSODIC RANT



I had some interesting and logical blog posts lined up. Then I said (to myself, of course) "Why the hell should I write anything interesting or logical?"

So I'm offering you a rant. A rhapsodic rant - which is infinitely better than a plain ol' generic rant. 

Actually, I should have named my blog Rhapsodic Rant. I never liked the title Lone Wolf Concerto, but it was a word play on my old blog Lone Star Concerto.
And it's a reasonably semi-apt description of who I am:
A musically-inclined loner in the wilderness, and a.....
....well, I'm not exactly a wolf - but "wolf" sounded more intriguing than "hopelessly neurotic sissified dandy".

It's raining hard tonight as I write. It rained hard yesterday, and undoubtedly will rain hard again tomorrow. I'm glad. The rain is accompanied by warmer temperatures. 
I haven't turned the heat on since I received that stunningly astronomical heating bill (see previous post).
I'm still trying to decide whether I should sell my blood or my ass to pay for it. I don't have much blood to spare.

Don't let the "ass" thing scare you. Remember - I used to live in Hollywood, where buying and selling asses is a way of life.

So, where's the "rant" part of this post, Jon?

Keep your pants on, Kemosahbee. I'm getting there.

I'm presently completely, thoroughly, absolutely disgusted with every aspect of my wretched life (and my existence in the friggin' wilderness) - - but I suppose that's not exactly a rant. It's more like an observation.

Has anyone been watching the Winter Olympics?
I haven't. Mainly because I don't have a TV. 

Two years ago I was able to watch the 2016 Summer Olympics on an obscure, clandestine, back-alley live stream website - - but NBC suddenly got wise and snuffed out ALL live stream ploys. You now have to pay for cable so you can watch the Olympics on your computer.

The NBC website lets you watch about 30 minutes of live-stream Olympic coverage - and then rudely shuts it off and demands you to pay for a cable channel.

During the duration of the "free" live stream that I watched, about twenty minutes of it were EXTREMELY ANNOYING Olympic commercials that completely suppressed my initial Olympic enthusiasm.

After the commercials, Johnny Weir appeared as a commentator for the ice skating.

Let me put it this way:
Johnny Weir is the only person who has ever ignited a burning urge in me to kill a gay guy with my bare hands.

Weir at the Olympics
 Is it just my imagination,or does Johnny Weir look like an anorexic version of Kim Jong Un?

NBC has taken the Olympics to a new low.

And what about Vice President Mike Pence?
Pence and his wife attended the Olympic opening ceremonies - - and they were seated about six inches away from Kim Jong Un's sister!! She was directly behind them, breathing down their necks for the duration of the entire ceremony.

This was no coincidence. It was a deliberate slap in the face by the Koreans to the U.S.A.


Mike Pence and Sister Un --
too close for comfort

And the liberal, Commie-loving American news media is chastising VP Pence because he didn't stand when the Korean teams entered the stadium!!!
Pence would have had to be a freaking FOOL to stand for the Koreans (north or south). "Protocol", my ass!

The Olympics used to be an event with dignity and class (at least on the surface). It has now deteriorated into a tawdry mega-commercialized freak show. Perhaps I'm better off without it.

Anti-American sentiments are rampant, here and abroad. I suppose everyone would have been blissfully happy if Pence and his wife wore Mao Tse-Tung pants suits and burned the American flag.

You call this crap a "rant", Jon?

I'm just warming up, Kemosahbee. This was merely a preliminary exercise.

17 comments:

  1. At first I thought "guy" was a typo! Johnny Weir (never heard of him until now) totally looks like a woman! Now I'm curious about his voice?

    I don't watch television, so I have not seen the Olympics since the Tonya Harding scandal happened in 1994. However, I can't wait to see I, Tonya (latest movie based on her life and times)! There's nothing better than a dark comedy.

    Good to see you are feeling better? I was quite worried about you. A good rant is sometimes the best medicine for depression. I should know :-)

    P.S. Hope this is not a double post? My first attempt at posting was a true twilight zone moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny Weir was (is??) an ice skater. Actually he's not too bad - - but I just dislike his flamboyant and obnoxious personality. It's more annoying than amusing. I'd love to see the new Tonia movie - it should be a hoot. Fact is definitely stranger than fiction.

      As for me - I'm going through some EXTREMELY difficult times and I'm deeply depressed - but there's usually a light at the end of every tunnel. I hope. Ranting does help.

      By the way, this wasn't a double post. It's always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. The one bright spot in this Olympics is that there's no Bob Costas. I already pay for Dish satellite so I'm able to watch the events I'm interested in. Curling, anyone? There is actually an Olympics channel. I record what I want to see and then can fast forward events like speed skating or cross country skiing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about Bob Costas. I had completely forgotten about him. His HUGE ego always irked me. And the fact that he's about 150 and looks 30 (how many face lifts did it take?).
      I also can't stand Mary Carillo - who I always thought is a man in drag.

      Delete
  3. Jon,
    I gave up on watching the Olympics years ago when there were more commercials than Olympic action. Another reason is trust I liked to watch the action live but now every thing isvtspe delayed and edited which takes out all the spontaneity out it. And so much emphasis on the American participants. Unless the Americans are not leading in the medal count you don’t know who is winning. And all those profiles of the “courageous athletes”, boring. I’ll take a pass this year too.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved the spontaneity of the Olympics and the feeling that I was really there. I agree - - now the whole thing is drastically delayed, cut, and edited. It's more like an assembly line process than an event.
      And I've heard numerous complaints about how the Americans are the only ones featured and the other countries aren't even mentioned.

      Enjoy that California sunshine!!!

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched for years. But I have noticed that trying to get anything online that you could get for free on broadcast TV...well, they either make it very difficult (have to wait a week and have a couple weeks before they remove the episode or special) or want you to pay them. I wait until I can see it on Netflix anymore. Only three shows I have followed for so many years that I am still trying to keep up with the current season online: Big Bang, Criminal Minds, and Supernatural. But if they wanted to charge me...I could wait a year till they come on Netflix. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be easy to get live stream things on line, but now it's extremely difficult.You Tube still has several live stream news channels, but that probably won't last long. I'm tired of how complicated everything has become.
      I miss the good ol' days when we simply plugged the TV in and watched "Lassie".

      Delete
  5. Now Jon, it looks like everything's well covered in comments so I'll get right to Mike Pence. Although, as you know, I'm a liberal, I cannot fault Mr. Pence for not standing when protocol might expect otherwise. He is a Vice President, not a Jack-in-the-Box. His composure was understandable; he did nothing. This is a lesson learned from a prior administration: in 1992, while attending a banquet hosted by Japanese Prime Minister, Kiichi Miyazawa, U.S. President George H. W. Bush vomited in Miyazawa's lap. I remember this, and realized, when in doubt about foreign protocol, it is better not guess. Doing nothing is sometimes the wisest and tidiest choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!! I remember the George Bush vomit incident - what a disastrous nightmare!!!
      I don't see why any dignitary should be forced to, stand and cheer for another country other than their own. Pence had every right to cheer for America - - and, hell, Sister Un had every right to cheer for North Korea.

      But they should have been sitting MILES apart.

      Delete
  6. Spot on, my friend. I watched but a fraction of the opening ceremonies ... not impressed. The networks are so quick to point fingers at anyone not inclined to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Mike Pence deserves a medal for maintaining his dignity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to see the opening ceremonies. I suppose I'll find a re-run of them somewhere....sooner or later.

      As you might have guessed, I drastically restrained myself from revealing too many of my political views. I was afraid the liberal trolls would crawl out from under their rocks and send me more death threats.

      CNN has been praising Sister Un and condemning VP Pence. I sure as hell wasn't exaggerating when I said that the liberal media is cheering for the commies.

      Delete
  7. rant away. that's what we're all here for. i used to love the olympics but not anymore. they focus too much on the lindsey vonn's and shaun whites and not enough on the lesser knowns who have interesting stories too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love the Olympics, too, and never missed a minute of it. The whole concept has changed so drastically that I no longer care.

      Remember when the athletes used to march out with respectful dignity at the opening ceremonies? Now it's a disorganized mob scene, with them screaming and taking pictures with their cell phones.
      And there definitely is too much focus on certain "favorites".

      Delete
  8. I have never been able to get into the Olympics and don't believe I have ever watched more than 10 minutes each time it's been on. And don't get me started on Johnny Weir. He is talented, but beyond on your last gay nerve. But I wouldn't want to get caught in the cross hair of the Pences and Kim Jong Un's sister. That wacko is gonna do something over there yet!!!! She looks like she'd eat them for a snack. And what's with this not standing stuff? I noticed during the SOTU First Lady Melania was the only one not standing for Trumps' speech. Seemed very odd to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny Weir is talented, but his annoying factors get on my nerves. I couldn't believe what his hair looked like with that Samurai knot on the top!

      Sister Un did look like she'd eat Pence for a snack! I would be extremely nervous if she were sitting behind me. The Pences and the Uns should have been miles apart!!

      Delete
  9. I reckon I'm in the minority here again. (So what's new?) I still enjoy watching the Olympics, and this year's is kinda cool in that, because Korea is 14 hours ahead of us, we're seeing most of the events in real time.

    Johnny Weir? Um, yeah. Great skater. Bizarre hairdo. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.