Tuesday, May 8, 2018

SLEEPLESS




Is there a difference between being an insomniac and being a night owl?

Definitely. One is torture and the other is joyous. I speak from a lifetime of experience. I go both ways (no sexual implications intended).

I've been nocturnally inclined for as long as I can remember. I always feel most alive between the hours of midnight and dawn. 

So where is this blog post going? Nowhere. I merely thought this was a good opening.

My present sleep "schedule" is simple:
I go to bed around dawn, then get up in about three or four hours to start my day.

That's undoubtedly why I feel comatose all day......and usually look like I died six weeks ago. But that's beside the point.



Unfortunately, the cats get up at dawn and eagerly (not to mention impatiently) wait for me to get out of bed.


Scruffy periodically climbs onto my chest and stares (two inches away from my face), just to make sure I'm still breathing.
 

Bosco is more aggressive. He eagerly (and frequently) pounces on the bed (and sometimes on me) to deliberately get me up.

So why don't you close the bedroom door and keep the cats out, Jon?

Because Bosco stays by the door and scratches the hell out of it when it's closed. I'd rather have a pouncing cat than a scratching cat. Maybe.


But, the cats are the least of my problems. 

Birds and squirrels clamor over the (metal) roof at dawn, making loud noises that jar me awake.

The birds are trying to build nests.
The squirrels are......
........who the hell knows....
looking for acorns??? 

So early this morning I had been asleep for about eight blessed minutes when the phone rings.

I stumble out of bed and crawl into the kitchen (that's where the landline phone is).

"Hello?"

Nobody responds. All I hear is lots of static. The last time I experienced that much static, it was coming from my hair on an extremely dry summer day in San Angelo, Texas.

Ponder that for awhile. It might eventually make some sense. 

Anyway, I finally hear a very weird voice with an extremely thick accent (East Indian, maybe?), informing me that I won a prize.

"Did you get the letter about the prize?" they ask. (I can't discern if this person is a he or a she

"Letter?? I don't give a damn about a letter. And to hell with the prize. Just send cash."

I hang up abruptly. 

There's no satisfactory end to this story - and no plausible reason for writing it. I just wanted to share my morning with you.  

I won't mention the never-ending back pain that I have.

Or the fact that a recent storm prompted the weeds to grow about five feet overnight.

Or that three cats can't seem to catch one mouse.

 Recent Rain...
...and hail...


By the way, my cat Kitzee (also known as Scratch) would rather sleep in the morning than waste her time trying to wake me up.

 

16 comments:

  1. Kitzee's a smart cat!
    Yours being a family-friendly blog, I won't repeat what my hubby says to those telemarketers ... only that he prompts them to hang up on him!

    Our recent change of venue, perhaps, but I'm astonished to sleep past 4AM. (Ya, I'm one of those despicable morning people.) Unlike her sweet and obedient twin, Macie refuses to let me sleep past 6. And when I dare play dead, she stands on my head and begins washing my face. Ya, like a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly sure if my blog is "family friendly", but it's a pleasant description anyway.

      I suppose your sleeping habits are still programed for your work schedule. It takes awhile to adjust to a new lifestyle.
      Our furry friends seem to have an obsession with getting us up at dawn.

      My cats have never licked my face, but Scruffy has occasionally sneezed in my face when I was sleeping. Believe me, THAT will get you up in a hurry...

      Delete
  2. I am and have always been extremely nocturnally inclined, which is fin on the weekends, but during the week it kills me. Since I get up at 5:15am, I try to go to bed early but still never make it before midnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been nocturnal ever since I was a kid - and I always get very little sleep....which undoubtedly accounts for the fact that I can hardly function.

      Delete
  3. I like you am a night owl. you follow my exact schedule. Kitzee (also known as Scratch) is one smart kitty, sleeping in when she can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something magical and inspiring about the night hours - it's a great time for thinking and working.

      If I only had Kitzee things around here would be more peaceful. Bosco and Scruffy are hooligans.

      Delete
  4. I'm nocturnal too, that's why I'm here right now. I like to do laundry etc. in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The night hours are the very best time to do anything. I always do the laundry late at night, too.

      Delete
  5. I know back pain can be caused by a number of things. I’ll just throw this out there in case it could help you. A few years ago, my Mother’s home health nurse recommended a product for her back pain. I have since started using it and it helps me tremendously. The product is “Stop Pain”. How appropriate is that name. It comes in roll-on and spray. I use the spray because I can just bend over and spray it on my back and control where it is applied without having someone else apply it. Available at Walmart in the section beside Tylenol, aspirin and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Stop Pain, but it's definitely an easy name to remember!
      Unfortunately, the problem with my back is due to two extremely bad spinal injuries which never healed properly. I am nearly crippled because of it, and this accounts for my frequent depression. I was supposed to have spinal surgery years ago but never did.

      I'll take a look at Stop Pain the next time I'm in Walmart (which will probably be soon).

      Delete
  6. I am a morning person, it is a wonder I have not be strangled by now. The cats are checking to see if you are going to feed them, or time for them to start feeding on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have an uneasy feeling that the cats are lingering around my bed in anticipation of getting a meal out of me.....

      Delete
  7. Hey, Jon. I've been up all night (again) so I think I know what you are getting at big time. I hate to shop during the day (too many people), plus it is so much more peaceful during those magic hours (12 to 5 A.M.). Then I can think with a calm and clear mind. I guess it must be sort of like being a monk? But we still have the hair raising honor of living in the world. I see it as a good thing - not bad :-)

    Hang in there,

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The late night hours are the best time to shop. I despise the crowded frenzy of daylight shopping. The Walmart here is open 24 hours, but it's too far to drive at night - and also I have night blindness when I drive after dark.

      Since I'm a nocturnal recluse, being a monk doesn't sound like a bad idea...

      Delete
  8. Definitely a difference between Night Owl and insomnia--yes. I do best if I get to bed before 2am, though. I need more sleep than you do, I guess--LOL! I'm lucky my cats have mostly been like Scratch. They trust that I will feed them when I get up--whenever that is--and they prefer me to be sleeping or inactive so they can sleep as much as possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should DEFINITELY get more sleep - but I never do. I always leave some dry food out for the cats (so they can snack). Bosco and Scruffy are always extremely playful early in the morning - and for some reason they never leaves me alone. It's annoying but also funny. They (usually) make me laugh.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.