Tuesday, June 19, 2018

ALMOST WORKING FOR DISNEY




My parents first moved to Anaheim, California when I was eleven and I attended junior high school there. Then we moved to a different town in a rural area where I went to high school.
After I graduated at sixteen, we moved back to Anaheim and I was delighted.


At that time, Anaheim (in Orange County) was a fantastic and thriving place to live, with lots of opportunities.
Huntington Beach was only about six miles away from my parent's home. Knott's Berry Farm (in Buena Park) was two miles away.
Disneyland was five miles.

On summer evenings I often walked to Knott's Berry Farm - just to hang out, watch the tourists, and smoke cigarettes. I started (secretly) smoking at sixteen because I thought it made me look cool and tough. It probably only made me look trashy - but that was close enough.

Every summer night at exactly 9:00 p.m. Disneyland would shoot off a display of fireworks. We never got tired of watching the fireworks from our back yard.


Knott's and Disney were undoubtedly the biggest attractions in Orange County at that time, and getting a job at either place was a prestigious endeavor. 
Naturally, I eventually applied for work at both places (at different times, of course). And I was hired at both places. But neither job worked out.



Knott's hired me as a cook in their famous chicken dinner restaurant. The problem is - as a new employee (and a very young one) I didn't have regular hours. They kept me "on call".

Sometimes I had to work in the afternoon. Sometimes it was evenings. Often it was on weekends. Occasionally week days. The inconsistencies infuriated me beyond redemption. I finally told them to put their chicken where the sun don't shine and I quit.

I admittedly didn't know much about working for Disneyland. I did know a gay "reindeer" who was in the Disneyland Christmas Parade - but that's another story for another time.
No - I'm not kidding.

Becoming a member of the "Disney Family" was like being recruited into the CIA. There were more Disney rules than the rules God had in the Old Testament.

For my initial interview, I was interrogated by a gigantic, rotund black man wearing Uganda attire. I knew this was simply a ploy to see how I would react (Disney employees have to deal with all types of foreigners and ethnicities). I got along good with the guy. No problem.
I was hired as a ride operator.

My enthusiasm for joining the Disney clan began to rapidly diminish when I was presented with all the rules and regulations of how I should behave, act, dress, and look. 

I had the "cute", wholesome blonde blue-eyed appearance that exemplified the Disney image - - but in my rebellious youth I wasn't about to be transformed into a plastic Ken doll.

They scrutinized everything from your hair and clothing to shoes and fingernails. 

I'm not sure if this photo will be readable, but it's a letter concerning their shoe policy:



With each new rule my panic increased, until I decided that I was going to be transformed into a Nazi. I balked and backed out.

In retrospect - a thousand years later - I regret my rash decision. I think working for Disney would have been a positive and interesting experience.

I would have never thought about this, but yesterday I was going through an old plastic storage container and found all of my Disneyland rule and regulation books.





 The male employees were called "hosts" and the females were "hostesses"


These aren't readable on the blurry photos, but I thought I'd include them anyway.


15 comments:

  1. Oh, how my mother and dad loved Knotts Berry Farm; all I can recall was her waxing poetic over the fresh fruit.

    The Disney organization sounds a lot like Wyndham … lovely on the surface, but oh, what lies (lays?) beneath. Even that wardrobe policy! When they first took over everyone had to undergo being "Wyndhamized" … not unlike Stepford Wives. LOL.
    I'm glad you got out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "old" Knott's Berry Farm was absolutely fantastic - there was no place like it. It had a very distinct aura and feeling. Later, things started changing (for the worst) and it eventually turned into a Disneyesque amusement park.

      I met the owner Walter Knott when I was about 12 and he gave me a free pass to all the rides. After his death the Knott family eventually sold the place but I can't remember any of the details. I'm glad that I'm old enough to remember how wonderful it used to be.

      Delete
  2. Doesn't surprise me that Disney would have a ton of rules because they have a particular image and deal with families--tons of impressionable kids. They want repeat business and sales and movie tickets and more sales when the families go home. Disney had recycling before anyone else and their own waste system, etc. They were like a city unto themselves--at least in Florida, I know. I can see where being rebellious or hostile would not fit in with their employee regulations--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire the Disney organization for sticking to their stringent rules and regulations. As you said, they had to maintain a certain "image". I regret that I was so rebellious back then and didn't want to comply.

      Delete
  3. I see there are no loafers allowed at Disneyland. (I'm sorry)

    I've been there several times. The last time was probably 35-40 years ago. My former roommate coerced me onto the Space Mountain ride. I don't think its there any more.

    We spent many evenings at Knott's Berry Farm when my sister and her husband lived in Long Beach. There was no admission and we could listen to the various musicians perform outside. I can't remember if we had access to the interior of the park or not. I about threw my nephew out of the ferris wheel as he wouldn't stop rocking the gondola. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Disneyland in a very long time, either. I'm sure it's changed a lot since the "good ol' days".

      It's a widely-known Disney "secret" that a lady died on the Space Mountain ride. She lost consciousness and dropped dead.

      I loved Knott's Berry Farm more than any place - especially when all of it was free. Things started to change in the late 1960's when the hippies tried to take over. They camped in the parking lots and one of the female Knott employees was raped while going to her car at night. That's when all the fences were put up and an admission was charged (a small part of it was still free).

      Delete
  4. rules and regulations follow any new job but admittingly the disney rules did sound a tad bit excessive. still it might have been fun to work there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Disney rules were definitely necessary and I regret that I didn't choose to comply with them. I was a rebel back then. The thing that bothered me most was that they wanted me to cut my hair.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting. I have heard they were very strict about appearances and the such, and guidelines about clothing. I also heard if you get picked to be a costumed character like Snow White, Mickey, Minnie and the sort, under no circumstance could you break character or remove any part of it till out of the public view. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a particularly "ugly" incident that happened at Disneyland. The guy who played the Goofy character got mad at an obnoxious kid and slapped the kid in the face. Goofy was fired immediately.

      Actually, I think the incident is hilarious.

      Delete
  6. Jon,
    I think you would have been a great Disney host. You have a good heart.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have, too, Ron. I'm honest - and when I was young I had a great personality (I seem to have lost it over the years...)

      Delete
  7. Sounds a little much for your personality and I'm sure you wouldn't have stood for it a minute. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My attitude has changed a lot now that I'm older, but at that time working for Disney seemed a lot like going into the Army.

      Delete
  8. I was a massive fan of Disney in those days. Despite the huge numbers of people at least the guests felt like we were individuals. I can't help feeling it's changed too much. Now it feels really corporate for the guests too. Last time I went I was surprised to find I wanted to leave. Just spending a day there was like a military campaign of planning, and I felt a great sense of relief as I left.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.