Friday, June 15, 2018

MAGICAL





There are few magical things left in my life. The early morning fog is one of them. It inevitably rolls in, drifts among the forest trees, lingers in the nearby meadows, and vanishes in the wake of the sun by mid-morning.

Restless, ever-changing, mystic, taunting, elusive.... a haunted reflection of my soul.

The other morning I was awakened by loud banging. It wasn't a knock on the door. It was definitely like hammering. On my front porch!
I stumbled out of bed, disoriented and half-asleep, expecting to find somebody hammering on the house.

To my surprise (perhaps shock) it was a woodpecker boring a hole on the wooden porch railing!
I chased him away but he soon returned. Several times. I was finally forced to cover the railing with a large floor mat that I kept by the front door.
So far the woodpecker hasn't returned.

Another pair of birds made a nest atop the porch lamp by the front door. They do this every year and I try not to disturb them.






I don't know why the porch lamp looks green in the photo. Neither the house nor the lamp are green.
One of the birds that built the nest is sitting on the railing (I took that photo through my bedroom window). 

The weather has been hot, humid, unusually dry. No rain for a week - which is an extreme rarity here. 

This evening, just after sunset, I wandered out for a walk through the high brush in the front of my property.
Another magical moment.
There were hundreds (if not thousands) of fireflies everywhere, creating an enchanted light show.

I've always called them lightning bugs. I vividly remember them as a very young child when we still lived in New Jersey (before moving to Southern California, where they don't exist). 

I keep the blinds up on my bedroom window at night so I can lay in bed and watch the lightning bugs drift by.

The cats always look for the coolest places to escape the heat - which is usually the floor. 

 Bosco, yesterday afternoon

My eldest cat Kitzee (also known as Scratch), waiting to get her tummy rubbed. I took these pics of her about an hour ago.



My third cat Scruffy (no photo available) caught a mouse last night but, for some reason, let it go.
Despite having a trio of cats, I think I need to buy mouse traps. 

I'm tired of writing about silly, mundane things on my blog - but if I ever wrote about the subjects that I'd like to write about, I would be hunted down by lynching mobs.

 

12 comments:

  1. woodpeckers can be pesky old things. glad you got yours to go away. fireflies are delightful creatures, indeed. if you buy mousetraps, make sure the cats don't get hurt by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of woodpeckers in the trees here, but I never heard one close up. They are LOUD!
      I would worry about the cats getting hurt with the mouse traps. I'd have to put the traps in cabinets or under the sink - places where the cats can't go.

      Delete
  2. Your foggy picture is gorgeous. Atmospheric. (Like you.) Growing up in near the water in Maryland, we saw lots of fog, and I always loved it. Here, it's a rarity.

    It's amazing how much noise a woodpecker can make, isn't it? We used to have a fiberglass canoe sitting outside our bedroom window, and for a while a woodpecker would tap his little heart out on it every morning... before dawn. (He was not our favorite bird...) When we moved the canoe, he moved his operation to the gutters above our window. I guess he was trying to tell us something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was always a lot of fog in California because we lived only five miles from the beach. I REALLY missed the fog when I lived in Texas, and I'm glad I can finally see it again.

      Woodpeckers are very persistent. I'd be furious if I had a canoe being destroyed by a bird...

      Delete
  3. Well, I like your magical post. ;)
    I grew up in Minnesota calling them lightning bugs, too.
    Annie is sprawled in the sun. She looks for the hottest spots--LOL!
    Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie would certainly find a lot of hot spots in my house. I don't have central air conditioning. Fortunately the summer heat doesn't last very long here in TN.

      I'm glad to know that other people also call them lightning bugs. I thought it was only my relatives in New Jersey.

      Delete
  4. Not sure why, but I love the fog as well. Your description is spot on!
    I'd quite forgotten lightening bugs … until the other night I had Macie and Grace out front and glimpsed one, then two. All of a sudden I was 9 years old again. Magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no other way to describe lightning bugs but "magical". They always remind me of my childhood.

      The Tennessee mountain fog is quite different than the beach fog that I knew in California. The beach fog was always thick and white. The TN fog is much more misty, elusive, and haunting.

      Delete
  5. Oh...I know the sound of that! Numerous times during the day I have a Red Bellied Woodpecker that taps very loudly on the gutters and drain pipe. You should hear how loud that is on metal!!! The whole cul de sac hears it. Course my neighbor thinks it's funny, because she knows I feeding two if them with my menagerie of birds.

    Although, the pecking at 5:30 am is a bit excessive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, if a woodpecker is so LOUD on wood, I can only imagine what it sounds like when he's attacking metal (I'm assuming it's a "he").

      The last time I saw a Red Bellied Woodpecker was in Texas. It was in a peach tree.

      Delete
  6. Your descriptions of your property make it sound like hard, tough work, but also absolutely amazing. I'm glad you're sharing this with us. Bet you were disappointed the woodpecker didn't have a package from Amazon, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of woodpeckers in the trees here, but I never saw one working close-up. I was surprised at how forceful and completely determined they are.
      I would have definitely preferred a package from Amazon....

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.