Friday, October 12, 2018

32 QUESTIONS (AND ANSWERS)

 
My previous post contained Q and As, but I didn't particularly like the questions (or my answers) so I removed it.

Since I enjoy doing Q and As, I searched online for more and came up with these.

1. Do you ever doubt the existence of others than you?
Well, this is not only a dumb question - it's poorly worded.
When I look around and see the surplus population, I assume that others exist.

2. The person you'd never want to meet.
I'd never want to meet a clone of myself.  

3. What gets you excited about life?
The grim knowledge that it will someday end.

4. What life lesson did you learn the hard way?
Life is a frustratingly endless series of hard knocks - one more powerful and devastating than the next. I've learned a lot of bitter lessons along the way, far too many to condense into one brief answer.

5. Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?
I'm too unique to make comparisons.
But there are many times when I (secretly) admit (to myself) that I've inherited a lot of my father's bad traits and a lot of my mother's good ones.

6. What's a belief that you hold with which many people disagree?
As a realist, an independent thinker, and a non-conformist, I have a lot of beliefs that stray from the mainstream. People like myself who dare to "rock the boat" are generally not welcomed aboard.

7. What do you label yourself as?
A realist, an independent thinker, and a non-conformist.
Labels, however, are used far too often and are extremely restricting. We live in a society that seems to be completely obsessed with labels.  

8. What is the difference between living and existing.
Existing is going through life like a programed robot, being caught up in a narrow and colorless routine.
Living is breaking free from the trap - taking a deep breath of fresh air, learning, exploring, absorbing, realizing that there is an astounding world out there beyond the restrictive realm of your self-centered existence.

9. If not now, then when?
Never.

10. Is it possible to lie without saying a word?
Hey, I lived in Southern California. I've seen a helluva lot of women walking around with triple DDD boobs made out of silicone.
They didn't have to say a word.....

11. What does your joy look like today?
I'm rather appalled that you would assume I have joy.

12. When you looked in the mirror this morning what was the first thing you thought?
Holy shit, I don't need to buy a mask for Halloween!   

13. What shirt are you wearing?
I was wearing a t shirt, but it's after midnight and getting chilly so I just put on a flannel shirt.

14. What were you doing at midnight last night?
Eating a tuna sandwich and watching inane videos on YouTube.

15. On a scale of 1-5, how afraid of the dark are you?
I'm generally not afraid of the dark at all. It's the things in daylight that often scare me.  

16. Have you done anything lately worth remembering?
No, but there are a lot of things I'd like to forget.

17. What do you wish you spent more time doing five years ago?
Preparing for the future.

18. Favorite age you've been so far. 
Age gets less favorable as one grows older. I think my favorite age would be early 40's.

19. Do you have a secret talent? If yes, what is it?  
None of my talents are secret. I like to flaunt them.

20. You can press a button that will make any one person explode. Who would you blow up?
What? Only one person??

21. What is your best physical attribute?
Can't think of any at the moment.
Modesty is one of my virtues.

22. Which activities make you lose track of time?
Reading, writing, music......
and, of course, pondering my physical attributes.

23. What is your favorite word?
Delete.

24. The last song you listened to.
Soundtrack of jazz music by Vince Guaraldi.

25. What is one unique thing you're afraid of?
Being stranded naked and penniless in Pakistan.

26. Do you like someone?
Occasionally.

27. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
I was a student piano teacher in college and hated every minute of it. Some people are born to teach. I definitely am not.

28. Your worst enemy.
I have always been my own worst enemy. I am extremely self-critical and relentlessly dissatisfied with myself.

29. What is your current desktop picture?
What??!!??
It's a picture of a forest in autumn.

30. Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?
Crying is a basic human emotion, an extension of our soul, and sometimes a necessary cathartic outlet. It is never a sign of weakness, and often makes us stronger.
As the old adage goes: tears cleanse the eyes so we can see more clearly. 

31. You can only have one kind of sandwich. Every sandwich ingredient known to humankind is at your disposal.  
I'm thinking of those incredible, unbelievably delicious Italian submarine sandwiches that I remember as a child in New Jersey. Nothing could ever compare with them.  

32. An angel appears out of Heaven and offers you a lifetime supply of the alcoholic beverage of your choice. "Be brand-specific" it says.
If an angel appears out of Heaven, the last thing I will be thinking about is alcohol. I'll be hanging onto his/her wings - begging for health, wealth, eternal youth, and putting in a good word for me at Heaven's Gate.
      

17 comments:

  1. Dang, Jon. I can't decide which of your responses is my favorite. #20? I nearly snorted my coffee. #1, #3, #16, 17 … all ring SO true. My favorite age was 33. "Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for happy-ever-aftering …."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, #20 was one of my favorites. My initial response, however, was that I wanted to blow up all the Democrats in Congress - - but I figured most of my readers would want to press a button and make ME explode....

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! I hadn't heard this one--tears cleanse the eyes so we can see more clearly. I love it!

    I totally agree with you on the last one--why in the world would you be asking an angel for booze?!?!!! Low bar, people. Low bar.

    Now you have me afraid of being stranded naked and penniless in Pakistan!

    These were interesting and snarky, as usual. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I love that quote about tears but can't remember where I first heard it. I think it was in an old movie.
      The question about the angel and the booze is bizarre.

      And when asked what UNIQUE thing I'm afraid of, Pakistan was the first thing that came to mind (probably because they hate Americans...)
      Anyway, I had fun answering these.

      Delete
  3. "Being stranded naked and penniless in Pakistan" --I hate when that happens too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the only thing worse than that would be stranded naked and penniless in Walmart....

      Delete
    2. Naked and penniless in a Walmart in Pakistan, maybe?

      Delete
  4. You have an unsurpassed talent for these Q&A kinda posts. Your inner snark and humor shine through, but your sensitivity is in clear sight, too. Keep 'em coming!

    Thee answer we differ on the most: the one where you said you wouldn't want to meet a clone of yourself. I think it'd be kinda neat. I mean, no matter how hard we try, we can't maintain any real objectivity about ourselves. We judge ourselves too harshly, or we underestimate our value, or maybe we even have too high of an opinion of ourselves. But with a clone, we could look at ourselves objectively and truly see our worth and shortcomings. I think some of our hurts and insecurities might be healed if we could see and appreciate ourselves as others see us, and by the same token, we can't "fix" a shortcoming if we don't realize it's there. Win-win. (Except I dunno if I want a clone to look just like me as I am today... it's easy to avoid mirrors, but being forced to face the flesh-and-blood proof of how old I am would kinda suck...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoy answering these type of questions, Susan. I always say the first thing that pops into my mind - which usually works out well.

      Being forced to look at myself objectively with all my shortcomings would be more frightening than hell - which is why I'd hate to see my clone. Also, I'd be shocked at seeing how much I aged. In my heart I'm still 20.

      But who knows - there's always the slim chance that I might actually start to like me.......

      Delete
    2. I think there's a lot more than a "slim chance." You're a very likable guy!

      Delete
  5. Jon,

    You ask some provocative questions here. I'm not certain if I am up to answering them in my present condition. I'll think about it though for a couple of days.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Larry - it's really good to hear from you. These are a lot of questions to tackle and answering all of them isn't always easy. Take care and keep in touch!

      Delete
  6. Jon this is a great Q and A post. I liked all of your answers, but #3 really grabbed my attention. I once asked Quentin Crisp a question regarding life. His witty answer was: "The only consolation is one day it all will end." Well, he died at the age of 90! Anyway, I'm glad you decided to do another Q and A post: Your brutal honesty always makes me laugh out loud :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dylan - I'm delighted that you liked my answers. I always say the very first thing that comes to mind - it never works out if I think about the answers too much.

      #3 puzzled me a little bit, because at this stage of the game I don't really find too much exciting about life (except things like reading, writing, music, etc.) Knowing that it will eventually end makes me appreciate things more.

      Quentin Crisp was a truly unique and fascinating person and you were fortunate to have been able to talk with him. I love his wit.

      I'll try to do more Q & As in the near future - - if I'm able to find any good questions.

      Delete
  7. i thoroughly enjoyed this question and answer post. your answers never cease to surprise me. i am smitten with your comment about tears. "tears cleanse the eyes so we can see more clearly."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun answering them. I really love the quote about tears. I first heard it long ago, but can't remember where.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.