Saturday, October 27, 2018

SATURDAY



Your kind comments on my previous post meant a lot. I didn't reply to them, but wanted you to know that they really touched my heart. 

In the safe,  but unrealistic realms of my fanciful expectations I had wanted Scruffy to be miraculously cured by the vet and come home perfectly healthy.

The grim reality, however, is that Scruffy was never perfectly healthy. She had been very sick as a kitten and was plagued with poor health ever since. She always had respiratory problems and the vet said she was extremely congested. Her survival chances were slim.

On Monday I have to drive to town again to pick up the carrying cage I brought her in. I'll also be getting a partial refund for the vet fee. And I paid for her cremation. They offered to return her body to me so I could bury her - but there is absolutely no way I could do that. It would have upset me beyond endurance.

So here I am on a cold, dreary, damp Saturday afternoon. All the foliage has turned vivid colors almost overnight and it is feeling very much like Halloween. I'm drinking a mug of hot tea. Now that the weather is chilly I drink tea or coffee frequently. Scratch and Bosco are sound asleep on my bed - - immersed in feline dreams and snoring in synchronization.

I'm in a profoundly melancholic mood.

I wish I could reach out, embrace glorious October, and hold it forever.

But nothing is forever.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update, Jon. I've been worried sick. Have Scratch and Bosco been searching for their angel sister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Scratch and Bosco have been acting slightly strange - but Bosco was extremely close to Scruffy and misses her most. It's amazing how perceptive our furry friends are.

      Delete
  2. nothing is forever, indeed. but you have the memories to keep you warm at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite line in this post. It took me nearly a lifetime to fully learn the truth of it....

      Delete
  3. So true. Nothing is forever. :(
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the only way we can retain "forever" is in our memories.
      (I'll greedily accept all the hugs I can get).

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping the drive into town tomorrow offers a mosaic of gorgeous fall colors to help brighten that trip for you.

    That last line you wrote ( but nothing is forever ) ugh, so true.

    Take care, Jon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately tomorrow is supposed to be sunny with good weather. It will be a welcomed change from this dreary, cloudy weekend. I always love to see the autumnal scenery around here.
      It is windy today and I'm worried that all the beautiful leaves will blow off the trees too soon....

      Delete
  5. My selfish self wants things to last forever but it’s just not realistic is it? October is almost to a close. Here in Missouri, the colors are at a peak this week. It was so dry this past spring/ summer. Im wondering if it will affect our vivid array of crimson red’s, burnt oranges and golden delicious yellows? It’s my favorite month! Let’s enjoy while we can. Gabs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Springfield, MO after I moved from California. I really loved the Ozark autumns. Here in Tennessee the autumn colors usually peak around Halloween. I'm planning to take more photos before they fade. This October has passed much too quickly.

      Delete
  6. We develop a special bond with our animal friends. My Horace (Pomeranian) died in 1998. He lived a long life (16 years). When he died that was the only time I can remember that I actually cried over a death, which surprised me. The pain just welled up inside me and had to come out. Today, twenty years later, I still miss him. We have had other Pomeranians (total five) and I loved them all. But Horace and I had that special relationship that I suspect was similar to the relationship you had with Scruffy. I know it is of little solace now, but remember all those good times you had with Scruffy and what a wonderful, loving life you provided for her.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Ron - we do develop a very special bond with our furry (four-legged!) friends. It is especially difficult to lose a pet that you've had so long - like your 16 year old Pomeranian Horace. Scruffy was only four and a half, and I regret that she didn't get to have a longer life (my oldest cat Scratch is now 13).

      Delete
  7. Dear Jon, truly, nothing is forever yet minds have doubtless evolved over eons to decide that is so. If nothing is forever, or forever is nothing, I see no end to possibility. The Post just brought me a neat package containing 2 books of excellent poetry --inscribed by the author. Let us both feel very possible today. Thanks Jon, Geo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If nothing is forever, or forever is nothing, I see no end to possibility"
      What a beautiful and apt sentiment, Geo!

      I'm relieved that the books arrived in one piece. I hastily addressed the envelope in my car, in the Walmart parking lot, in the pouring rain. It was a sloppy and haphazard achievement.

      I'm happy to know that the books arrived quickly. It took Amazon over two weeks to send them to me.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.