Friday, October 26, 2018

SCRUFFY



My cat Scruffy was extremely sick for well over a week. She refused to eat anything and I was deeply concerned - especially since she had a history of respiratory problems.

I stayed with her constantly - trying to keep her comfortable, trying to feed her with an eyedropper and encouraging her to drink water. Cats fail very quickly without nourishment, which can cause complications such as liver damage. 

Yesterday (Thursday) she was strong enough to stand up and drink water on her own. Even though this was encouraging, I called the local vet and explained that she was seriously ill. I wanted to take her there immediately but was told that the doctor was out for the day tending to farm animals. They said to bring her in on Friday (today) at 10:30 a.m.

My intuition told me that it was FAR too long to wait, but I reluctantly agreed because I had no choice. I stayed up all night, fully dressed, impatiently waiting for dawn. 

This morning Scruffy was alarmingly worse, hardly responsive. I drove her to the vet (in town) at breakneck speed - - through the pouring rain. I was hardly able to see because I still only have one contact lens (see previous posts).

Even though I was only cautiously optimistic, I still felt some relief that at least she was now getting the proper care she needed. The vet wanted to keep her there until Monday. I petted her, assured her that everything would be fine, and left.

It's now late afternoon on Friday. When the telephone rang fifteen minutes ago I felt very apprehensive and was afraid to answer.

My fears were justified. Scruffy didn't make it. She died.

I'll never forgive myself for not taking her to the vet sooner. I waited nearly a week. I blame myself - - and I also feel that if the vet would have been there yesterday she might have had a better chance for survival. I am completely devastated.

Scruffy was an extremely sweet and loving cat, very gentle and constantly purring. She and my other cat Bosco were inseparable, they had been together since birth. 

I've been plagued with problems these past few months - one bad thing after another - but nothing has hit me harder than this. I'll never get over it. 

I'm debating whether or not I should post this.
It probably seems silly for a grown man to be unduly sentimental over a cat - - but my cats mean everything to me. They are my most faithful companions. Scruffy will be very sorely missed.

 Scruffy (2014 - 2018)

18 comments:

  1. Oh nooooo! Jon, my heart breaks for you, for Scratch and Bosco. Back in 2013 when Caraleigh passed, I also 'beat myself up' … of course, to no avail. I wanted to die and be with her.
    Honor your grief. Then, as you're able, please take solace knowing Scruffy is no longer in pain and is happy frolicking around the stratosphere. I'm sure of it. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, So sorry, it is never easy. She was a part of your life, a family member, and grieving is normal. You feel the way you are feeling, that is okay. Rest assured, you helped her enjoy a good life. Please take care of yourself, David

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will miss her too. She was a part of your blog here making guest appearances. Im sorry to hear of her loss, but why feel embarrassed by posting it. Pets are like our family members. Pets owners all know this and we take it hard when they pass on. Wrap yourself in Scuffy's memories...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loosing a dearly loved fur babie can be devastating. They are the only ones that love us unconditionally. This post is not ridiculous. It's very sad. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Don't beat yourself up over "what ifs".
    Take care.
    Peace~
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jon, My sincere condolences. It's hard losing a true friend, even one of another species. I remember house-sitting in 1965 and having to treat a beloved dog by telephone with the vet. I did what I could, but lost the canine friend --and you're right, it never leaves you. Don't blame yourself; Scruffy wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have my deepest sympathy jon. i too know what it is like to lose a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon, I'm so very sorry about the loss of your little friend. It's perfectly natural to feel the way you do and my heart goes out to you. I like to think of a field of catnip enjoyed by many dear friends that cross over the Rainbow Bridge. Butterflys and catnip, treats and friends....what could be better. Huge hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You love your cats deeply and ; I’m sorry for your loss of Scruffy! Gabs 😔

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand your grief. I've lost so many pets over the years. It never gets easier but I do take comfort that they are no longer suffering. I'm glad you have Bosco and Scratch to help fill the void. Living without any animals would be incredibly lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no!! So sorry, Jon. She was part of the family. Never apologize for loving members of your family.

    Did the vet give you a cause of death? Cats don't show they are sick until it is sometimes too late to begin with. She knows she was loved. You did the best you could. I know I was devastated when Miss Karma died. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is never silly to love a living creature. It speaks volumes about your character that you would care so deeply.
    I hope that your happy memories of Scruffy will comfort you Jon.
    ♥️ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Jon, I don't know if I can say anything to make you feel even a tinge better during this difficult time - but I would like to say I'm so very sorry for your loss. You did what you could for Scruffy - and she couldn't have asked for a better home.



    ReplyDelete
  13. Jon, I missed this post for some reason and I am so sorry. I wish I could say something to help, but I know nothing really helps. I thought Scruffy was the most beautiful looking cat, quite exceptional with all those wonderful colours, and it always sounded as if her personality was as sweet as her looks. I know you did everything you could for her and I am certain she appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jon,

    You made a home for Scruffy's life, console yourself with that. There is no shame in a grown man's tear over a beloved pet when it goes away that final time. I have cried over every one of my own when they passed. It is the hardest thing about having a pet. I lost several over the past year, all long time companions. The hardest was Mark, who was always my companion. My one daughter had rescued him along the highway as a kitten in from of a local high school named St. Marks, thus his name. She brought him home for the night. He walked over, climbed upon my chest, nuzzled my face and never left again until he went to cat heaven, and I do think there is a cat heaven someplace My prayers of comfort are with you as you grieve and also for Bosco.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jon,
    Just read this post. I am so sorry that you have lost your friend Scruffy. Each of our animal friends are unique. I can tell by the photo you posted of Scruffy that she was indeed a sweet and gentle friend.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry. Our pets are definitely part of our families. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to read that sad news. I’m sure you did your best for Scruffy and her time with you was good. It doesn’t make her loss any easier, heartbreak is part of the deal when we share our lives with animals but it’s still wonderful to do so.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.