Tuesday, January 15, 2019

THIRTY




Thirty questions and thirty answers.
The questions were lifted from Sunday Stealing


1. Are you filled with joy today?
I haven't been filled with joy since Rocky and Bullwinkle was on afternoon TV and Black Cow suckers were five cents.

2. Has it been a rough week?
It's been a rough life.

3. If given the opportunity, would you like to star in a musical?
Yea, I'd like to play the lead in Hello Dolly.

4. Name one person you'd take a bullet for.
Hell, I can name fifty people who I'd like to put a bullet THROUGH.

5. Did you trip over anything today?
Early this morning I went into the tiny bathroom adjacent to my bedroom and tripped over the cat's litter box. I landed on the toilet and almost went through the window (no lie).  

6. Is your favorite color yellow?
Why yellow??
Actually, my favorite color is blue. My second favorite color is yellow.
Does this disqualify me?

7. Were you born in a hospital? Do you know the name of the person who delivered you?
Contrary to ugly rumors, hospitals did exist when I was born - - and I was indeed born in one.  
The person who delivered me was Dr. Moreno.

8. Have you ever had a friend or relative that's incarcerated?
When I was a young, wild, uninhibited hellion in California, I had a very (very very) close "friend" who had been in prison for attempted murder.   
I could write a book about that relationship.

9. Do you enjoy romantic movies even if they're cliche?
Almost all romantic movies are cliche.
And I enjoy them.

10. Ever been to Rhode Island?
No, but it's on my "must do" vacation list.

11. Can you read music?
Well, let's see:
I majored in piano, minored in composition, studied conducting, played cello in a chamber group, performed a piano concerto at Cal State Fullerton, gave recitals at UCLA,
and played piano in some of the trashiest bars and clubs in Southern California.
I can probably read music.

12. Are flowers a nice gift to give someone?
Only after they die.
If someone wants flowers, I'll send them a package of seeds.

13. Do you wear any jewelry? 
I used to collect antique (ancient) jewelry. Unfortunately some of it mysteriously "disappeared" when I moved from Texas to Tennessee.
I still have one Russian bronze cross that's about 300 years old.
And I wear (alternately) several antique rings. My favorite is a sixteenth century ring from Italy. 

14. Have you ever laid in a field of flowers?
No, but I've gotten laid in a place that had poison ivy. Happened in the Missouri Ozarks. And I'm still itching.

15. Do you like tea?
I am a tea addict. I drink copious amounts of tea. Hot or iced.

16. What word do you have trouble saying?
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

17. Favorite fairytale.
Fairy tale?
Heck, I don't know. How about Oscar Wilde and Alfred Douglas. Or Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud?
Or are you looking for something more Grimm?
Perhaps Hansel and Gretel. 

18. Do you sleep with stuffed animals?
No, but I sleep with my cat Bosco who's heavier than a 30 lb. sack of potatoes.

19. Do you prefer the city or the country?
Depends on which city......and which country.
When I was young I loved big cities.
Lately I prefer rural areas. The more isolated, the better. 

20. Are you a big fan of makeup?
Only when I'm in drag.
Seriously, though, there's nothing more spooky than a woman whose makeup was applied with a pallet knife.
Less is better. 

21. Favorite drink?
Alcoholic or non-alcoholic?  There are far too many to list.

22. What's the longest time you've stayed awake?
I have absolutely no clue.

23. Do you like spring?
I have nothing against it.
I love the transitional seasons: autumn and spring.

24. Lipstick or lip gloss?
Neither.

25. Are aliens real?
I never believed in aliens until I lived in West Texas.

26. Does your zodiac sign fit your personality?
Let's see. Sagittarius.
Intelligent, passionate, musical, poetic, witty, fascinating, handsome, versatile, mysterious, creative, unique.
Yea. It fits.

27. Favorite sea animal.
Killer shark.

28. Are you a nice person?
Let's put it this way:
sometimes I'm so nice that I scare myself.

29. Night or day?
Depends on whether I'm up or sleeping.
Actually, I have always been a night person. I am a hardcore night owl. I'm never fully awake until after midnight.

30. What would make you happy right now?
A few million tax-free dollars.
Eternal youth.
Perfect health. 

I'm not asking for much. 
                  
                 
  

19 comments:

  1. I hope those 50 people don't force you to fire the gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, it might actually be MORE than fifty people. That was just a rough guess (*smile*).

      Delete
  2. As you are an accomplished musician, I have a serious question for you. My 16 year old grandson is interested in playing piano and guitar. He took a few guitar lessons and had to quit due to conflicts with school sports and activities. He learned a few chords and finger techniques and took it from there and plays with a Church praise band. As for piano, he has never taken any lessons, but is self taught from various online resources. He plays remarkably well, which tells me he has talent. I have encouraged him to take lessons to expand his capabilities. He is not interested. I feel that being self-taught limits his performing abilities significantly. Nobody else in our family or friends is remotely musical. What words of advice would you give to a young person in this situation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your grandson does indeed have musical talents and a genuine interest in music. Having taken some guitar lessons, I assume that he already knows at least the basics in how to read music.

      Many musicians (especially rock or popular-type musicians) have actually made careers without having any formal musical training. Being self-taught is good, but it definitely is best to get some formal training in order to (as you said) expand his capabilities.

      Being a good musician takes a lot of effort and dedication. At the age of sixteen, he undoubtedly has other interests that take up his time - which might be why he's reluctant to take lessons. I would definitely encourage him to keep learning as much as possible about music and to seriously think about getting some professional training/guidance.
      Perhaps he could take lessons during the summer? Or later enroll in some beginning music classes in a community college.
      I was a student music teacher at Cypress College (in Calif) and they had some really good piano classes for adult beginners.

      Even if he doesn't plan to chose music as a career, he'll never regret having a solid knowledge in the fundamentals of music.

      Hope this makes some sense. I'm not particularly good at giving advice.
      Also, finding a good music teacher that he can relate to is very important. Believe me, good music teachers are not always easy to find.

      I had a musical advantage, because my mother was my first piano teacher (when I was 10) and she was excellent. Without her guidance and encouragement I would have probably lost interest.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I will have him read this. His desire is there and he spends hours practicing piano, but mostly “plays by ear”. I think that limits him to only copying what others do. He actually creates his own music, which is mostly very mellow easy listening type music, and I think that is odd for a teenager.
      He also does some very edgy things. So perhaps he is not as limited as I fear.

      I appreciate your advice.

      Delete
    3. It certainly sounds like your grandson has talent. I hope that he will keep expanding his musical horizons and being encouraged by others, such as yourself.
      It's refreshing to know that he's interested in mellow, easy-listening music. That always has a wide-audience appreciation.

      Delete
  3. Some of these made me literally LOL and wake up Annie!
    I love when you answer surveys!
    Have a fabulous week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, when I answer these questions I sometimes make myself laugh out loud - which is a good things, since I haven't been laughing too often lately.
      You have a great week, too!

      Delete
  4. Hello Dolly!, yessss! Sing it loud, sing it strong!
    I LOVE when you publish these Q-and-A's, Jon! Yellow is actually my favorite color. Flowers? Meh. Don't hate me, but I'm a hardcore morning person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ironic that I mentioned "Hello Dolly" since I just heard that Carol Channing passed away today at the age of 97.

    I always get a big kick out of answering these inane questions. And I have respect and admiration for anyone who can fully function in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that CC passed away!!! Another chunk of my youth gone by the way ….

      Delete
  6. i love the questions and your answers. always something new to learn about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm becoming addicted to questions. At any rate, I always have fun answering them (and revealing things about myself).

      Delete
  7. I've never read 30 questions answered so constructively. You did good, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent answers to 30 questions. You seemed admirably calm throughout the interrogation. I wouldn't hold up as well. I recently heard the state Rhode Island and Yosemite National Park are about the same size (#10). I'm satisfied with that but for the other 29, I'd have to rough myself up and slap myself around a little --or I'd name names and the mob would get me. But you did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo - I've never been "admirably calm" in my entire life, but I'm good at faking it.

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy when you do these Q&A kinda posts, and these questions are particularly good. (Your responses are ALWAYS good.) In fact, I like these questions so much, I may borrow them for my blog. It's getting harder and harder to come up with something new for a post, and this would definitely fill the bill. Thanks!

    Like Myra, I'm a morning person, too, and I usually jump out of bed singing and full of energy, but I've learned to mostly leave Smarticus alone until he's progressed beyond the grunting stage.

    And flowers? I don't want them when I'm dead. I'd much rather have them NOW while I can still appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually took two sets of questions from Sunday Stealing and combined them - eliminating a few that were either uninteresting or kinda stupid. Whenever I have nothing to say on my blog (which is often) I use questions. It's always fun to answer them.

      I was admittedly being sarcastic about the flower question (which you already knew). I truly love flowers and they always enhance my life.

      Delete
    2. I thought you were being sarcastic, but I'm glad to hear I was right. :)

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.