Wednesday, April 24, 2019

CALLAS RINGS THE BELL



If you disliked my previous post about the Pope, you're going to hate this post about opera.

I felt a distinct icy silence echoing through the Pope post. I'm suspecting it was read by a herd of humorless Catholics.

That's okay. I'd actually be disappointed if anyone loved me.

So what's this about opera?

The other day I happened to (accidentally) find an extraordinary recording on YouTube of Maria Callas singing the Bell Song. It absolutely blew me away.

The Bell Song ( Ou va la jeune Hindoue or l'air des clochettes) is an aria from the opera Lakme by French composer Leo Delibes (1836 - 1891).

 Leo Delibes

So what's the point?

I never thought that this light aria would be suited to the dark voice of Callas. And I never knew she recorded it.

When I say "light", I don't mean fluffy. The Bell Song is one of the most extremely difficult (not to mention long) arias ever written for a coloratura soprano.

Great interpretations of this aria are rare. A few of my personal favorites are Natalie Dessay, Joan Sutherland, and Luisa Tetrazzini.
Lily Pons definitely had the voice for it, but her interpretation is too theatrical, too fast, and lacking emotion.

After hearing Maria Callas, very few others can compare. My only regret is that Callas sings the Bell Song in Italian instead of the original French.


Maria Callas

The opera world has always been extremely divided when it comes to Maria Callas. You either despise her or worship her.

I was always in the neutral middle. When Callas was good, she was very good. When she was bad, she was horrid.
Her earier performances were perhaps the best - although I heard one of her last recitals and it was emotionally sublime.

I suppose it all depended on her mood. I've always been that way when I play the piano.

I could never really pinpoint the greatly divided Callas enigma, until someone aptly told me that "Callas did not have a beautiful voice".
That's it! She was often dark, angry, occasionally screechy.

Yet, when I hear her singing the Bell Song, it is the pure voice of an angel - straight from the realms of Heaven.

Note:
This isn't my video, I got it from YouTube. It seems to have been recorded full-volume, so you might want to tone down the volume before listening.  

 

12 comments:

  1. For the record, I'm not Catholic!
    Maria Callas certainly has an amazing voice. How she hit those high notes is quite remarkable but she made it seem easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother gave up Catholicism when I was a very small child - and her family never forgave her.
      I love those high notes!

      Delete
  2. 'Have to admit, I'm not a fan of Ms. Callas. Opera, actually. Nevertheless you always tweak my curiosity; perhaps I'll acquire a smidgen of class one of these days? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Myra - I love opera and I don't have any class at all. There's hope for everyone.

      Delete
  3. I tried. Something about opera that just makes me turn it off. Sorry. I know a lot of people love it. I am not one of them--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly give you kudos for trying. Opera is definitely not for everyone, and not something that you can suddenly jump into (it could possibly inspire you to jump into the nearest river!).
      I saw my first live, full-length opera when I was 12...so I'm used to it.

      Delete
  4. I love Callas. We have seen Natalie Dessay several times at the Met and she is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, John! I'm delighted to hear from someone who likes opera and Callas. The Callas Bell Song recording is truly extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jon, thanks for that beautiful aria from a personal favorite opera. I have somewhere in the past posted the Flower Duet from the same --when Lakme was performed in Paris. However, I recently found an abbreviated version that totally blew me away --https://youtu.be/SAZ7euewPTk (please copy, paste and click). Opera is still alive, and forever young.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link, Geo. Those two singers are absolutely wonderful! I can't remember ever seeing such talent on America's Got Talent!

    I also had never seen the entire opera before until I discovered it on YouTube.
    I don't have the link, but just type "Lakme opera" in Search and you'll find it.

    As for Maria Callas - I'm completely mesmerized with her "Bell Song" recording. So rich and exotic. The more I listen to it, the more I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.