Thursday, July 4, 2019

HALFWAY TO CHRISTMAS



The year is already half gone. The Christmas season will be assaulting us in less than five months.

But today is the Fourth of July: American Independence Day. A day to celebrate our independence and honor our great country. Barbecues, picnics, parades, fireworks. Pride!

Liberals and leftists despise this day. They hate our country and all it stands for. Yet - unfortunately - they never leave.

Fair warning:
In honor of this day, I have written some political posts which will undoubtedly sting.
I might post them later today or tomorrow. Maybe.
Still deciding.
Be assured - my stings are never lethal.
You'll eventually recover.

Speaking of stinging......
notice how smoothly and subtly he gets out of an uncomfortable situation....

I opened the back door yesterday and was just stepping out, when something hit my left arm and stung me. It struck like a kamikazi pilot. 
I don't know what the hell it was -
A wasp? A horsefly? An angry liberal? 
Anyway - it hurt, then itched, then became swollen, and still hurts.
But it wasn't lethal. I survived.

Rain last night and a foggy morning.
The (very) bland header photo was taken in the front yard when the fog was lifting this morning.
Gone are the sunny, blue-sky, California July days that I knew in my youth.

I drove to town last Monday. Planned to get things for the house: new shelving, new tile for the two bathrooms, paint.
Instead, I got lots of groceries and supplies.

What's on my agenda for today?
No fireworks. No parades.
I'm going to have hamburgers, corn on the cob, baked potatoes. Fresh cantaloupe. And ice cream.

I bought Johnsonville burgers, which I used to love when I lived in Texas. Was delighted to discover them here in Tennessee. They're made with pork, not beef.

A photo for your viewing pleasure:



This is a boring and absolutely worthless blog post. My previous one was much more exciting......I think.

Happy Fourth, Patriots!


Note to Geo -
I corrected my mistake on previous post concerning Mucha and Maxfield Parrish. I would have never noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. 

Okay - I just had my 4th of July meal and the Johnsonville burgers weren't quite as good as they used to be. They're smaller, too.
But the corn, potatoes, and ice cream were delicious.  

12 comments:

  1. Happy Fourth dar!!!!! Are you cooking out? I always tell my friends here they get the country and government mixed up. Some of my friends say they aren't celebrating like you said, because they dont like trump. I say you should be patriotic for your country, beautiful land, and freedom....but the government must earn it. I'm off tomorrow for Europe.....I miss reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right - it's not about Trump. It's about our country - which we all love. I was going to barbecue but then decided to just cook them in a pan. It's easier.

      You're off to Europe? My gawd, that's wonderful. I'll eagerly await hearing about your adventures.

      Delete
  2. Happy 4th Jon, I had a chance to go with my daughter and her family to her mother in laws for a cook out, but decided to stay home and rest. Your meal sound good. Wish I had a watermelon, they're having a big day at the lake I could go up there and eat me some since they will be having plenty they say. I'm just to tired or maybe lazy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's best just to relax and stay home, Jean. That's what I like to do. I hope your day is pleasant no matter what you chose to do.

      Delete
  3. Dear Jon, I thought that print of yours looked Parrish but didn't know. All I knew knew was my regrettably long-lost Edison Mazda poster was by Parrish. Mainly, I recall my dear friend, Richard (a Jehovah's Witness) arguing at my kitchen table late at night, asking, "Do you really think cave-people looked like this?" The women were lovely, softly lit, and the men busy by the fire with obsidian arrowheads. I said,"It's commercial art, Richard, which has nothing to do with reality." Richard went on to the Gilead School in NY and became an elder of the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo, I have no clue why Mucha was on my mind. Between the two artists, Parrish has always been my favorite. I love the beautiful, soft romanticism that he conveys.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you will be "eating high on the hog" today! Corn on the cob fits the bill altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I've gone a step up from frozen pizza. And I loved the corn. I hope you had a nice 4th.

      Delete
  5. hornets hit you hard, then sting, look around for a nest close. they get meaner as their family grows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of wasp (and I assume hornet) nests around here. And they are all super aggressive. I'm often afraid to wander outside.

      Delete
  6. Sorry I missed this yesterday! Hope that bug bite feels better? I'm going to look for those burgers. We used to buy the Bubba Burgers before the price grew ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bug bite is a little better. I loved Johnsonville burgers when I lived in TX. They're still good but have changed somewhat. They're not nearly as big as they used to be. I used to only cook one for a meal. Now I cook two. They come 6 in a package.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.