Sunday, August 11, 2019

ARRANGEMENT IN BLUE, WITH LOVE






This is an encore of a post I wrote a few years ago. Heck, I'm in a blue mood....

As I looked back at the sprawling smog-drenched cityscape of Los Angeles on that sweltering September afternoon, I knew in my heart that I was leaving forever and would never return.

This isn't the place to dissect the reasons why I left. It's merely a  personal channel to release a surge of nostalgic fondness and golden memories - an arrangement in blue, with love.



Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin holds a significant place in my final year in California. It was the last thing that I ever performed there at a public concert (in August). It was also the music that was playing in my mind on that day as I gazed at the L.A. skyline for the last time.

For that reason, Rhapsody in Blue, for me, is synonymous with nostalgic farewells.

I wrote a solo piano arrangement of Rhapsody in Blue when I was in my mid-twenties and living in Hollywood. It has become a personal favorite of all my piano arrangements, and the one that is definitely the most difficult to play. The pianist does all the work - there's no orchestral backup.

Initially, I was never fond of Rhapsody in Blue. It just wasn't geared to my pianistic style. As I studied the music and wrote the arrangement, however, I grew to love it - and to fully appreciate Gershwin's unique harmonic genius.

I've made several recordings of my Rhapsody in Blue arrangement. The one on my YouTube video (above) was made (long ago) at a friend's private music studio nestled in the Hollywood Hills. It was near midnight on a hot summer night. After ingesting a few glasses of Madeira, I sat at the piano and recorded it in one take with no edits. No easy task, considering the length and extreme difficulty of the piece - and the detrimental influence of my semi-inebriation.

Gershwin - 1898-1937

Bandleader Paul Whiteman commissioned George Gershwin to write a piece for piano and orchestra, which would be included in a concert at Aeolian Hall in New York. Gershwin began writing the music in January, 1924 - and the premiere took place on February 12th.

Since Gershwin wasn't completely adept at orchestration, he initially wrote the piece for two pianos. Composer Ferde Grofe (who wrote the Grand Canyon Suite) orchestrated the score for the premiere - and Gershwin improvised the piano part.

Grofe later revised his orchestration in 1926 and again in 1942. These are the arrangements that are most widely known today.

Gershwin originally called his composition American Rhapsody. It was his brother Ira who suggested the title Rhapsody in Blue. Ira was inspired by an exhibition of paintings by James Whistler - especially one entitled Arrangement in Grey and Black (better known as Whistler's Mother).


My solo piano arrangement of Rhapsody in Blue is a humble tribute to Gershwin - and one of my personal crowning musical achievements. 

Jon V.

Video is best viewed full-screen


14 comments:

  1. *thunderous applause*

    BRAVO, JON! WOW...that's AMAZING! And you are so absolutely right... "and the one that is definitely the most difficult to play. The pianist does all the work - there's no orchestral backup." Which makes it all the more impressive that you played this, and played it to perfection. You are incredible talented!

    I love the photographs you used in the video because they go perfect with the song.

    Rhapsody in Blue is one of my favorite songs. Woody Allen used it in the opening of the movie, Manhattan. I don't know if you ever saw it, but I'm leaving you the link in case you haven't and are interested. It's a wonderful 3 minute clip from the opening of the film, which is all shot in black and white.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mwZYGcbQCo

    Again, well done, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means a lot to know how much you appreciated this, Ron. Thanks!!!
      Rhapsody in Blue always reminds me of L.A. - but it truly is the essence of New York. I am familiar with Woody Allen's Manhattan and the beginning sequence of that film is classic.

      I initially had no idea how I was going to make a video for the music, but I decided to keep a blue theme (what else?) and it worked out very well.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you've chosen to publish this again …. brava! Funny how certain triggers can evoke such strong emotions (that) one has no words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many things that trigger strong emotions in me and I've always been that way since I was a small child (especially music....and colors).

      Delete
  3. I have always liked Gershwin so thanks for this. I listened with great joy since it reminded me of happy occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the music evoked happy occasions for you, Valerie. I didn't appreciate Gershwin until later in life.....but better late than never (*smile*).

      Delete
  4. Thus particular piece is my husband’s favorite of all the Gershwin tunes. And, it’s also one I enjoy hearing. Thanks, Jon for the background on it and also for including your personal connection, which I detected was bittersweet. I enjoyed hearing your performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you liked it. It's rather long, but I wanted to do the full, original version.
      I'm surprised I got through it without major mistakes.

      Delete
  5. Lovely! Such a special thing to share with us. I love that songs can remind of us of people, places, and events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only regret is that the audio isn't better, but it's a rather old recording. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. Dear Jon, thank you for reposting your beautiful recording of "Rhapsody In Blue". You are remarkable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo - there are some (very) rare times when I actually surprise (and please) myself. This is one of them. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Mr. Jon. My wife has been following your blog since you lived in AZ., was it? She always raved abot your music. To be honest with you, she loves your playing but said the recordings sound like they are done on a bad or old tape recorder. So I pulled up your "Rhapsody..." myself. As a musician myself, I have to applaud you because I know that you are extremely gifted. Thank you for sharing your gift with us, Jon. May I share, in my humbleness, with you? I know you lost some of your work in your move. We would like to hear you get back to recording. A few years ago I discovered a FREE app or download called "audacity". It changed my world, Jon. It's a recording studio on your computer! Did I mention it's free?! I simply bought a good mic and went at it. If you have an electric keyboard, you can go direct from the keys to the computer. I'm NOT very tech minded but there's so much that can be done that I'm still blowing my own mind. I'm a singer who is not that great but I kill it with audacity! Please check it out, if you haven't already. Sincerely, Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Rich - thanks so much for your comment - it means a lot to know that you and your wife appreciate my music. You are absolutely right about my piano recordings. Most of them were recorded years ago on cassette tapes, and I transferred them to mp3 files. Unfortunately the audio quality is poor (sometimes very poor).

    I do use Audacity to transfer my tapes and I like it a lot - even though my technical knowledge is very limited. I had no idea that I could use an electric keyboard with it. My old electric keyboard was lost when I moved from Texas to Tennessee, but I'm thinking about getting a new one.

    I haven't played the piano, and haven't done any music work since I moved. The movers not only "lost" my keyboard, they also lost my vast collection of music scores that I had for many years. I went into a deep depression because of this.
    Fortunately they didn't lose my old cassette recordings!
    Anyway, thanks for the comment - - and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.