Thursday, August 1, 2019

THUNDERHEADS ON THE EDGE OF AUGUST

....and overnight - subtly, as if not to be noticed - August arrived.

Late on Tuesday, just at dusk, thunderstorms began blowing in. I ran outside to close the windows on the car - - wearing nothing but my underwear and cowboy boots (I added that solely for cheap visual effect).

When I glanced up at the sky I was aghast (yes, aghast) at how dramatic the clouds looked. Massive thunderheads were eerily illuminated by the setting sun. 

Naturally, I ran inside and grabbed my El Cheapo digital camera. Despite the fact that it was nearly dark and lightning was zapping unnervingly close, I managed to get a few shots.


It looked much more impressive in real, but I suppose my efforts are sufficient.
I didn't notice until after I took the first photo that the rising moon is visible between the clouds.

I also never realized how many mosquito bites one can incur while standing outside in your skivvies.







The first three pics were taken in the back "yard" at the edge of the forest.
The fourth (above) is a view from the front.

So here I am, long after midnight, on Thursday - - the first of August:
mild, humid, blissfully lonely. The lightning bugs have dwindled to a paltry few. The forest is alive with the incessant sound of katydids. 

Owls occasionally call from nearby treetops. I love to hear them. And a faraway chorus of wild dogs howl and yelp as they meander through the midnight hours. 
The dogs sound different from the coyotes - who make demonic, unearthly shrieks and wails.

Just another insignificant summer night - where a thousand random thoughts weave restlessly through the dark, isolated passages of my mind.....


15 comments:

  1. As ever, I love how your words evoke emotions in this reader. Gorgeous images ... but please reconsider being lightning lure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely worried about lightning while I was taking the pictures. I almost jumped out of my Fruit of the Looms when the camera flash went off.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous photos! Nature is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to capture the dramatic moment. It looked more spectacular in real, but I'm still pleased with the photos.

      Delete
  3. (I added that solely for cheap visual effect).

    Jon, that cracked me up! Brilliant!

    Hey, these shots are awesome! I love a storms and stormy skies, I think they're beautiful.

    "Owls occasionally call from nearby treetops. I love to hear them."

    Me as well. Owls are actually one of my favorite birds. My very favorite is either a crow or a raven. I think they are stunning birds. Mystical. And VERY smart!

    We're due for some stormy weather here as well. And looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storms always looked really dramatic when I lived in Texas, because there were very few trees to obstruct the view.

      I like owls, crows, and ravens because they are so mystical and mysterious.
      I also love the plaintive cry of the mourning dove, but unfortunately there aren't very many around here.

      I hope you enjoy the storm!

      Delete
  4. Jon, please check your "El Cheapo" camera for biological components --I believe it's evolving. These photos are absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wish my El Cheapo would evolve into a new camera. Actually, it's a Kodak Easy Share which must be at least 15 years old. It performs very well for its age (which is more than I can say for myself...)

      Delete
  5. I also enjoyed these storm captures, Jon, and also the humor you added in your attire ( or lack of it) while capturing them, nature provides such great photo ops! It doesn’t really matter what type of gear is used if you get the picture which you did. We had torrential downpours on Wed but it was raining so much I couldn’t open the apt windows for any photos. 😕
    Thanks for the visit to our blog and your comment, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After living in arid West Texas - where it rains about twice a year - it was somewhat of a shock to be here in TN where it rains nearly every day. I like rain - but I hate how it nourishes and encourages the weeds and brush on my property.

      Delete
  6. I sure am glad you shared your "random thoughts" with us in this post, because they make for some captivating and evocative reading. Those clouds are magnificent, and your el cheapo camera captured them beautifully.

    We've been having a lot of thunderstorms lately, too. Last night's was a lulu in that it lasted for so many hours. Our cats were not happy campers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, both of my cats vanish immediately whenever there's a thunderstorm. Bosco disappears for hours and I've never yet figured out where he goes.

      But Tennessee is mild compared to Springfield, Missouri. That is definitely the thunderstorm capital of the world.

      Whenever I write "random thoughts" they always turn out better than when I purposefully try to write something "good".

      Delete
  7. I keep a window open beside my bed just so I can listen to the katydids at night! Be careful going out in that 'back yard' at night in your skivvies, you think mosquito bites are bad I'd hate for you to run into some poison ivy!
    Beautiful photos. The skies must have cleared by the time they reached my neck of the woods.


    I started me a blog to keep track of my walking if you would like to drop in and say HI.
    https://soperipatetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep my bedroom window open at night, too. I love to hear the owls and all the other wonderful night sounds.

      Delete
  8. Jon,
    No doubt about it, you do live in a beautiful part of the country, those Tennessee mountains. Now all you need is central air conditioning and someone to share it with.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.