Thursday, October 10, 2019

RANDOM NONENTITIES


I saw old autumn in the misty morn
stand shadowless like silence, listening
to silence....

Thomas Hood (1799 - 1845)

I first read Thomas Hood's Ode to Autumn when I was sixteen and fell in love with it. I never knew that - many years later - I would obtain a handwritten letter of Thomas Hood at a public auction. It is among my (many) treasures.

The above recent photo of  morning mists in my back yard echoed the essence of Hood's poem....
 

I have some good blog posts lined up for October (honest), but for today I'm forfeiting quality in favor of boring stuff and random nonentities.

I drove to town last Tuesday (8th)  solely out of necessity - despite the fact that my hip and knee still hurt and haven't improved much in two weeks. I try to rest as often as possible, but there's too much work to do in this cursed rural place - so I keep re-injuring the injury.
I can walk, but can't bend my leg.
I navigate like a peg-legged pirate, which - I suppose - is probably better than not navigating at all...

The temperature has (finally) dropped considerably and it feels like autumn. A few days ago it was 90 degrees (that's Fahrenheit for those of you in Macedonia). Yesterday it was around 60.
Chilly nights. Hot tea and extra covers.

Possible frost by the weekend.
I hope it kills all the damn bugs. I've been completely besieged by flying stink bugs for the past three weeks. They're harmless but annoying - - and they do emit an odious odor.



The pesky stinkies are very adept at getting inside through cracks and spaces in the window screens. And they're attracted to lights. 

I was reading in bed last week and a couple of them swarmed around the lamp. One  jumped on me and managed to race down inside the back of my T shirt. I rolled out of bed - - despite my peg-leg - - and did an impromptu free-style St. Vitus dance around the bedroom, while stripping off my T shirt. The cats were bewildered.
Yesterday a roving stink bug got caught in my hair.

Speaking of hair -
notice how smoothly I make my transitions.....

I've been using Suave shampoo for at least thirty years. In fact, when I first started using it they only had three kinds to choose from: regular, daily clarifying, and baby formula. 

Nowadays Suave has dozens of concoctions to choose from: cherry, strawberry, lavender, and what-the-heck else. I really don't care what "flavor" I use.

A few weeks ago I was shopping in a hurry and simply grabbed a random bottle of Suave. It said Sweet Pea and Violet. Sounded like a curious combination, but I figured it's good enough.

So I've been using it on my hair for about a month. A few days ago I happened to look closely at the bottle and discovered that it's body wash, not shampoo!

 That was a helluva long way to go for a completely pointless story. And actually the body wash did a pretty good job on my hair.

One more thing before I go:

One of my recent blog posts was about the old Victorian house in Hollywood that was the inspiration for Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Several of my readers never saw the movie and others haven't seen it in a long time.
I wanted to watch it again but YouTube removed it for copyright violations.
SO.......
I did a little research and found it on the Japanese version of YouTube, which is YouKu. Here's the link:

 https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTcyMjQ3NTk2.html?refer=seo_operation.liuxiao.liux_00003310_3000_nUF3ai_19042900

 
The entire website is in Japanese. When you click "Play" to see the movie, there's a Japanese commercial that lasts about a minute or two. Be patient. Then the movie will play, completely commercial-free. It's in English and in beautiful HD - all for free.

It's kinda loud, so make sure the volume is turned down.




19 comments:

  1. Great post, Jon. You had me smiling out loud when I read 'it's body wash, not shampoo!'. And then there was the movie to smile about. All I need do now is watch it for myself, if only I knew how, when or where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, they seem to make too many unnecessary products nowadays. I've never used body wash before - but it does seem to work well on my hair.

      Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is a dark and disturbing movie about two aging, demented sisters. I like it, but it's not for everyone. I was surprised to discover that it's available on the Japanese channel!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you getting around however slowly. Sorry you're still hobbling about. We have stink bugs here too. Pesky little bugs. They are genuinely a pain in the butt. And you're right the smell is awful particularly after they're squished. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is really getting to be a piss - - it's one unpleasant thing after another - but at least I'm able to walk and get around.

      I initially didn't know they are stink bugs (until I smelled them). I just thought they were beetles. This summer there was a surplus of them - and they're still around.
      I hope you're doing well. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Ok, I laughed out loud when you realized it was body wash, I will bet the shampoo formula is the same as the body wash anyway!

    Interesting tidbit on the stink bugs: I guess there's a genetic component to whether you can smell them or not. I'm one of those lucky folks who kill them left and right and can't smell a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - I think the shampoo formula is very similar to the body wash. My initial thought was that it's a shampoo with a conditioner.

      I had no clue what the bugs were, but the peculiar odor made me curious so I did an Internet search. There are so MANY of them this year - and they still haven't gone away. I'm hoping the predicted weekend frost will kill them.

      Delete
  4. Jon, I have also used body wash as a shampoo, and also accidentally when traveling as some places have both products in similar packaging. And, like your experience, the results were not too bad. I would have liked the body wash you mentioned as the one currently in our bathroom is a fruity scented one. Thanks for the info on the link to the Baby Jane movie, which I have never seen and most likely never will, as it’s just now the type of film I enjoy although the stars are legendary performers. Glad to read that you were able to get out to town although sounds painful still. Stink bugs are annoying as I recall from our years if living in VA in a rural area. Just recently, I spotted one on the apt screen which was amazing to me considering we live on the 5th floor in a city now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, I really didn't see much difference in the body wash - it just seems like shampoo with a conditioner. I'll just have to read the labels more carefully next time.

      Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is a classic film that's worth watching - but it is very disturbing and might not be your "cup of tea".

      I really seem to be falling apart physically, but at least I'm still able to drag myself around. Most of my problems come from old spinal injuries that never healed properly.
      It's amazing that there was a stink bug on your 5th floor window!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Jon ... there never seems to be a shortage of interesting ( comical ) events happening at your homestead. Not being able to bend your leg isn't one of them though. I've never heard of flying stink bugs ( lol ). Is that their defense mechanism, sort of like a skunk, or do they just naturally stink ?

    I did watch ' Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' the other night. Boy, this film doesn't fail to thrill even after all these decades. The script, the acting, the makeup ... excellent. For some reason I thought this was one of Hitchcock's films. I was totally wrong about that.

    The morning mist in your back yard does echo the essence of Hood's poem. Very nice. We had our first taste of snowfall the other night. It didn't stick thankfully. It's way to early for that white stuff, but being situated in higher elevations ( the mountains ) we always get hit first.

    I sure hope you can walk much better soon. Take care !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helga - when I first moved here I thought my life would finally be peaceful and worry-free. Wow, was I wrong! It's one problem after another. I haven't written a fraction of them on my blog.

      I'm hoping that my knee/hip will eventually heal, but I don't rest enough. As for the stink bugs - I initially thought they were just beetles. The strange odor inspired me to do some research. I think the smell is mostly a defense mechanism.

      Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is definitely a classic and no matter how many times I see it, the film never loses its impact. Bette Davis was deservedly nominated for Best Actress but unfortunately she lost. I think Anne Bancroft won for The Miracle Worker that year.
















      Delete
    2. I was having computer trouble while writing replies to the comments, and this blank space appeared between comments.

      Delete
  6. here in wv the frost don't kill them. it only brings more to overwinter in your house.
    they hide inside till spring. when the weather warms up, they get active. usually at 2 am. then they try to find new hole. I have been woke up by stink bugs trying to crawl in my ear, and other assorted body openings and folds.
    and they bite, if trapped.

    do you have red ladybug invasion there too?
    the fun never ends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it's discouraging to know that the cold doesn't kill them and they'll hibernate 'till spring! And I didn't know they bite. You're giving me nightmares.

      We always get the ladybug invasion around late Sept. or early October - but this year they didn't show up. Maybe they will be late....??

      Delete
  7. Those stink bugs sound annoying!
    Well, your hair IS a part of your body--LOL!
    I hope those who haven't seen the movie get this chance you found them. It's a classic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stink bugs are still around, but fortunately there are fewer of them now.
      I didn't really see much difference between the body wash and shampoo but what do I know?....
      I was initially suspicious of the Japanese website, but the movie played perfectly. It definitely is a classic and I never tire of seeing it.

      Delete
  8. Well, I'm still waiting for the chance to say 'chilly' ... but I'm happy for you. (She says as our a/c kicks in. Again.) That's funny about the body wash/shampoo. While sticking my head under the kitchen faucet, I've been known to just grab the Dawn dish soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, perhaps I spoke too soon....it's supposed to get near 80 again today - but cool weather and frost (at night) is promised by Saturday. At least I don't need any a/c.
      We both might have to move farther north, Myra...

      Delete
  9. Cooler temperatures have found their way here, too, thank goodness. It's been cool enough to open the windows at night, but the AC still runs during the day. Works for me!

    We get those nasty little stinkbugs, too, but not in abundance. Whenever I see one, I immediately catch and release outside. I don't want one of our "girls" to try to eat it (Dot loves to eat bugs... which, of course, makes her ralph...) and I don;t want to squish it and release that delightful aroma.

    Thanks for the chuckle. I laughed out loud when you realized you'd been using body wash. Sound like something I'd do. Exactly like something I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan many thanks for taking time to visit my blog in the midst of your own personal difficulties. And I'm glad I provided some chuckles.
      I always try to catch and release the stink bugs, too - for the exact same reason: cats seem to like eating bugs - despite all the expensive kitty food we provide them with.
      My thoughts are with you. Take care!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.