Monday, December 16, 2019

IT'S CHRISTMAS MOVIE TIME

There's no doubt that more Christmas-themed movies have been made than any other film genre.
You could easily overdose on the Hallmark Christmas movies alone - - not to mention all those TV movies-of-the-week. 
(I'm not bashing them - - some are remarkably good). 

My personal taste tends to lean towards the old tried-and-true Hollywood Christmas classics. Although we've seen them more times than we care to remember, they always hold up to the test of time.

I have two rules about watching old movies: NEVER watch the colorized versions (they destroy and cheapen the original intent) and ALWAYS watch the full-length versions (I'm thinking of all those old movies that I watched on TV as a kid  that were savagely edited and chopped up with commercials).

The movies that I'm listing are in no particular order - they just happened to pop into my head.

HEIDI (1937)  

The classic version with Shirley Temple and Jean Hersholt. It's not exactly faithful to Johanna Spyri's book, and it's not specifically a Christmas movie - but it has snow and a Christmas Eve scene.
I recently found the original black and white version on YouTube. 

Holiday Inn (1942)

 I usually prefer to watch this one on New Year's Eve, but it's a timeless Christmas classic. Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire are in top form. Beautiful Marjorie Reynold's singing voice is dubbed - but what the heck....
Caution: the black-faced minstrel scene is sometimes cut by the liberal Movie Police. 

You can watch Holiday Inn (for free) at Internet Archive. Here's the link (I hope...):

https://archive.org/details/holiday_inn


THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940)

 This charming romantic comedy takes place in a little shop in Budapest, where two employees who loathe each other (James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan) are unknowingly secret penpals.

 Here's a link to watch this film:
https://ok.ru/video/43381688898  (this is a Russian website, but it's legit - I've used it many times)






 In the Good Old Summertime (1949)
Don't let the title fool you. This movie has nothing to do with summer. It is a remake of the 1940 film The Shop Around the Corner - starring Judy Garland and Van Johnson.
I generally don't like remakes, but this one is great. Both films are worth watching.

White Christmas (1954) 


 Okay, this film has hokey dialogue, a mediocre plot, and possibly tries too hard - but it's still a holiday warhorse that's fun to watch - with great singing and dancing. 
Personally, I never liked Bing Crosby, and I can't warm up to Danny Kaye - but Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen add charm. And everyone does their own singing - - except Vera-Ellen, who was dubbed.

You can watch it for free at this link:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24ka2u


Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
 Not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but still pleasant holiday fluff. Barbara Stanwyck is a New York food columnist who consistently writes about her husband, baby, and farm in Connecticut. Problem is, it's all a sham. She's single, can't cook, and has no farm. Things get tricky when one of her fans (Dennis Morgan) is chosen to spend Christmas with her at the fictitious farm.

Here's a link to the movie:
https://ok.ru/video/268185504419


Scrooge (1951)
 There have been more film renditions of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol than I can count. This British film is one of the best, with Alastair Sim as Scrooge. A genuine classic to watch on Christmas Eve.

It's available on YouTube. Put Scrooge 1951 in the search.

A Christmas Carol (1938)

 Another great version of the Charles Dickens classic. This American film features Reginald Owen as Scrooge and several members of the Lockhart family - including a very young June Lockhart.
 I think this movie can still be found on YouTube.

 Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
 Is he really Santa Claus?
There are several remakes of this film, but you can't beat the original starring Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn, and Maureen O'Hara. 

This film is available on Internet Archive (archive.org)
but I don't have the link.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
 Why am I not as thrilled with this film as every one else? Possibly because it's over-played and praised to oblivion. But it admittedly is a timeless holiday classic well worth watching - starring James Stewart and Donna Reed. 
And, heck - we all need a guardian angel.....
 Not certain, but this might be available on Internet Archive (archive.org)


So many Christmas movies - - so little time.....
I should probably mention
The Homecoming (1971) spinoff for the TV series The Waltons (it's available on YouTube)
Home Alone (1990) and Home Alone 2 (1992)
A Christmas Story (1983)

and two real tear-jerkers

Christmas Eve (1986) starring Loretta Young
The Christmas Shoes (2002) with Rob Lowe  

I'm not nearly finished, but this post is getting annoyingly long. I hope that the links I provided are accurate and working properly. 

What are your favorite holiday movies? 


note:
I wrote this very quickly and it's not one of my best efforts, but I'm posting it anyway


18 comments:

  1. Perhaps I should watch a few old films. I can't seem to get interested in anything on tele these days or nights.... can't seem to muster up any enthusiasm even to watch my old favourites. Is it just me or are there more people like me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, you're not alone - - my enthusiasm for everything has waned lately. I watched a few holiday movies during the past few weeks, but they didn't generate much excitement.

      Delete
  2. Ok, you will not believe me, but I have only seen 'A Christmas Story' on that list!!! And bits and pieces of 'Home Alone,' because it was my son's fave. I'm just not much of a movie person. It's hard for me to sit still for that long.

    I have watched 'A Christmas Story' more than a dozen times because my husband insists on watching it on TBS every Xmas. It's a Cleveland tradition, having been filmed here. I've even been to the house.

    I might be talked into a Rob Lowe movie, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nev4er knew A Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland. It's an extremely popular holiday movie, but not exactly one of my favorites. I do like Home Alone.

      The Rob Lowe movie was filmed in Canada and was originally made for TV. His wife (in the movie) is dying during the Christmas season and it's a real tear-jerker.

      Delete
  3. So many great choices! I still love It's A Wonderful Life. If I watch no other Christmas movie I will watch that every year...and usually I try to watch the newer movie A Christmas Story. These have both been over-played, but they are still my favorites. I remember when they always played The Wizard of Oz over the holidays, too, even though it has nothing to do with Christmas. You have picked many great old favorites. The only ones I wouldn't bother with are the Home Alone ones--LOL! ;) Happy Holidays, Jon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when they used to play the Wizard of Oz during the holidays. I like Home Alone, mostly because it has good Christmas atmosphere - and real snow.
      I was surprised to find links to so many of these old movies on the Internet. The hardest ones to find for free are the Judy Garland movies, due to copyright violations.

      Delete
  4. Would you believe, I finally got around to watching "It's A Wonderful Life" for the 1st time a few weeks ago? (OK, three-quarters, that is before I feel asleep.) That and A Christmas Story are the only ones I've seen. (I, too, was never bitten by the movie bug.) For some reason, I'm thinking "Six Weeks" may have been Christmas-themed. Then again, it could be just the ice skating ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story aren't exactly my favorites - - I can understand why you fell asleep.
      I've never seen Six Weeks, but if it has ice skating, it's good enough for Christmas...

      Delete
  5. I have to guiltily admit that I don't care for old Christmas movies, except for "A Christmas Carol." I prefer the George C. Scott version though! I do get a kick out of "Home Alone," "Elf," "The Santa Clause" and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." I guess I must prefer comedies. I discovered, after watching "The Knight Before Christmas" that I dislike (extremely) Christmas romance movies. To each our own, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I don't care for holiday movies as much as I used to, but I watched a few recently just for the heck of it. And I definitely agree - I don't like Christmas romances.
      But I will watch A Christmas Carol on Xmas Eve.
      And I like Home Alone!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for listing these movies, Jon, many of which are in our holiday DVD collection. We try to watch as many as we can each year but this year are falling a bit short. Aside from the hones you mentioned we like Mixed Nuts, Home Alone, The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant/David Niven version), Three Wishes, and one with Jimmy Durante that featured a squirrel and I cant recall the title. We don't have cable service, so no Hallmark holiday films for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer have cable service, either, and my DVD player isn't working - so I've had to rely on finding movies on the Internet.
      I think the Durante film you mentioned is called "The Great Rupert". It's available on YouTube. I really like Home Alone and also Home Alone 2.

      I never heard of Mixed Nuts or Three Wishes. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Jon, we don’t have cable service either, by choice, but thankfully our DVD player is working. Yes, it is The Great Rupert and we watched it tonight. Another oldie is Holiday Affair with Robert Mitchum and Beyond Christmas is the movie I was thinking of, not Three Wishes. The Family Man and Family Stone are recent ones that are also set around Christmas, but not favorites. Serendipity with John Cusack is a good one and who can forget that Die Hard is set at holiday time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you mentioned Holiday Affair and Beyond Christmas. They're both available on YouTube and I plan to watch them. Beyond Christmas is also known as Beyond Tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. i love the old black and white movies from back in the day. something about them puts me in the holiday spirit. holiday inn, its a wonderful life are favorites, though you sparked my attention with Christmas in Connecticut. i have never seen it. going to have to find a copy . loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - there's something about the old black and whites that evokes an old-fashioned holiday mood.
      At the bottom of my description of Christmas in Connecticut I have a link where you can watch the movie (commercial-free).

      I'm glad you liked this post - I wasn't sure if it would generate any interest.

      Delete
  9. ps) love your header. those kitty cats are adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.