Tuesday, June 16, 2020

CURIOUS



(sarcasm alert)

I'm curious - -
to see if YouTube will ban my latest video.

There's a war on the Confederacy.
Confederate flags are being banned. 
Statues of Confederate soldiers are being toppled.
Anything that bears a Confederate name is being expunged.

Goodbye, Robert E. Lee

Those people who've read my previous blog post (all three of you) know that the movie Gone With the Wind has been deemed "racist" and is being snuffed from our midst.

As a musician and a reasonably curious Homo sapien (don't panic - it's nothing sexual), I'm wondering if the musical score to Gone With the Wind will also be banned.

So last night I got into my never-ending Creative Mode and made a video of music from the 1939 film Gone With the Wind. The original score was written by Max Steiner (1888 - 1971).

I used my own piano arrangement for the video, which I wrote when I was a nineteen-year-old music student in Los Angeles. 
The audio recording is old but reasonably tolerable.

The hardest part of the whole project was finding film clips from the movie - which I tossed together rather  haphazardly.

Watch the video quickly.

The Anti-Confederate Music Police are probably on my tail.


video best viewed full-screen

5 comments:

  1. What I find puzzling is all the hub bub over the Confederacy. It only lasted four short years.60 minutes news show has lasted longer. Yet such anger and passion from the deep south when those southerns have long been dead. I miss be missing something.

    And no surprise i enjoyed the video. It amazes me you know how to do all this. You'll probably be safe with the video.you tube is noy as bad as other platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like 100 years since I watched GWTW, but hearing these opening notes gave me goosebumps. I thoroughly enjoyed this, Jon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your video is up and available for viewing. I enjoyed it. Was surprised Clark Gable looked so handsome in the footage you got of him. He has always reminded me of a big eared, wooden-toothed ventriloquist doll and I try to stay away from his movies. I have never read the book Gone With The Wind or seen the movie from which it came so thank you for the video. I have only ever seen Vivian Leigh in A streetcar Named Desire and as for the beautiful Hattie McDaniel, I remember her fondly as Mom Beck in The Little Colonel. Most likely if I ever do see Gone With The Wind it will be to see Leslie Howard in the role of Ashley Wilkes because 1: I am probably the last living Leslie Howard fan alive and 2 because "he hated the damn part". Loved your music!
    Post Script: I do not think removing statues is the fix certain mentalities think it is. Robert E. Lee was a great man and his Confederate Army was made up of both black and white soldiers who shared the same ideology. That said, the Union Army won the war and slavery was abolished. When our country falls and it seems to be falling, it will benefit no one. Absolutely no one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon, After watching this video clip and hearing you play Steiner’s score, I went looking in our video collection and we will be watchung GWTW sometime soon. But it will have to wait until after I watch the vintage Fred Astaire films From the local library, just jn case they are one day removed. Glad you liked the word hullabaloo, as I did too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.