Friday, July 31, 2020

FAREWELL JULY

I initially thought my Midsummer Elegy had crashed and burned and I was going to delete it.

But then I thought - well hell, how many other people could describe misery with such poetic eloquence? 

The lethal beauty of nature is in concert with the inherent darkness of my soul. Living in this rural area is a preferable alternative to being devoured by the toxic insanity of civilization.

Some innocent and kindly people have recently mentioned that a lawnmower might be of assistance for my property woes. 

Hey, Amigos -  I'm not in Pasadena. I'm in the Tennessee wilderness. The "overgrowth" around here would rival anything  on Mysterious Island.
I need a tractor, a plow, a steam shovel, a brush hog, and a dozen field hands. No lie.


This is the shallow, tame part of my property
(photographed yesterday in the rain and fog)


Here we are on the last day of July. The humidity has been intense. It rains nearly every day. Last night (again) there were Mega Thunderstorms (capitalized for emphasis). 
Donner und blitzen aplenty. 

So, what shall I talk about today? Politics?
No, that will infuriate you. I just lost two long-time readers over my pro-America, anti-mask agenda.

Poetic dissertations and music? Nope. I don't want to scare anyone.
Not much, anyway.

How about boring photos and inane observations? That should generate mass public appeal.

Yesterday my cat Bosco jumped onto the coffee table right next to a ceramic pumpkin candy dish.
I thought it would make a cute Halloween-type photo, so I grabbed my El Cheapo camera.


Bosco yawned exactly as I snapped the picture.
He looks ferocious on this close-up (check out those Dracula fangs).


Actually, Bosco is a sweetheart. He's timid and gentle. And he's afraid of thunder, which inspires him to crawl under the covers on my bed.

 (I should have dusted the pumpkin dish......)

And Kitzee? (also known as Scratch)
She's another sweetheart, but she's lazy now that she's fifteen.


She likes to sleep on the porch near the front door (my cats are indoor felines, but I occasionally let them out on the porch).

Can you believe there's another thunderstorm brewing as I'm writing this?? (it's Friday afternoon). We get them daily (and nightly).
July is going out with a bang.

It's getting extremely dark and the storm is edging closer. I'm anticipating another power outage (we get them often), so I'll cut this post short.
Until soon, I hope......

8 comments:

  1. Lawnmower?!?!?!?

    Wouldn't gasoline and matches be faster??? Ill bring the marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That shot of Bosco and the pumpkin dish is so neat ... great timing!
    For some strange reason, ya. I can envision you on a the wheel of a John Deere or a brushhog. Vroom, Vroom! On the bright side, most of it will die off soon as Winter arrives. Won't it? Just be careful and watch for snakes. Friend Jack (Ship's Log) was recently bit by a copperhead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wilderness around you is beautiful if you don't have to live in it. It looks pretty in photos anyway! I love those fangs! He does look very ferocious. My Mari is also a black cat, but hates mostly everyone except me. She'll tolerate my dad, and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bosco looks downright scary yawning. those teeth look like they could do some serious damage. it is indeed the perfect halloween picture. now you've got me thinking of autumn, apple cider, cool crisp air and pumpkins everywhere. love your property pics. your lot, may be a tad bit overgrown, but all that lush greenery looks inviting in the fog and with raindrops on the window. just lovely. a gentle rain storm is always cathartic. hope you managed to keep your power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After looking at your yard photos, Jon, you would need more than a lawnmower and most likely most of that overgrowth is the invasive type that will return, maybe some dynamite?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a scary picture of Bosco! I look forward to seeing it at Halloween, deserves more than one airing. Your property always does look fascinating but I think I'd be leaving it to look after itself. You wrote on Friday. I hope you had a good and not too stormy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sometimes my landscape crew [cows] miss areas of my yard, and it looks like that. so i do a bit of touch up with cheepo concetrated weed killer from wally. the aftermath makes for creepy dead zones in yard. and i wonder why neighbors avoid me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg, that is quite the Halloween picture, fangs and all. No, I don’t think a lawnmower is going to help!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.