Monday, July 6, 2020

MEMORIES OF WEST TEXAS




I lived in West Texas for many more years than I care to remember. I went there solely to be near my retired parents.

I always emphasize West Texas, because it's a world apart from other areas of the vast state. And it's a severe culture shock for someone who was raised in Southern California like myself:
it's a raw, rowdy, crude, rough, unforgiving, sometimes lawless place.

I lived in three TX towns - San Angelo, Odessa, and a minuscule cow town on the high plains about 50 miles from Lubbock (which shall remain nameless).

Both of my parents died in Texas. After my father died in 2005, I took care of my Mom until she passed away in 2009.

My intense disdain for Texas came from the fact that I had some incredible bad luck there and wound up losing an enormous (and I mean enormous) amount of money. Which explains why I'm presently living in poverty in Tennessee.
Texas provided me with a myriad of bad memories.

Despite all the negatives, there are things that I miss about Texas:
the sprawling endlessness of the land, the vast skies and incredible sunsets, the ravaging surrealistic dust storms, the ubiquitous Mexican culture. And the food.

Texas is where I bought my infamous El Cheapo digital camera, which quickly became my inspiration for taking a vast amount of photos.

My most recent video, Memories of West Texas, contains a small collection of photos from my massive Texas files. It was very difficult to choose favorites.

The accompanying music that I picked is the haunting Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Terrega (1852 - 1909) - - one of my all-time favorite Spanish compositions.

Video (as always) best viewed in full-screen mode.


14 comments:

  1. John, you have beautiful photographs in this video and that was a great choice of music. I am going back to listen to it again as I take a closer look at your photography. I enjoy many types of Mexican music, but this was particularly beautiful.Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. I have so many Texas photos that it was nearly impossible to choose favorites. I didn't want the video to be excessively long.

      The music is one of my absolute favorites - it is so haunting and nostalgic. The composer Francisco Terrega was a Spanish guitarist.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the video, Jon, but not wanting to relocate. Those red skies were beautiful as were many of the scenics. I was curious about the long building which showed up several times. Liked the pumpkins and then the snow covered one and of course your snow covered hat, once again. Was that flooding in several shots?
    Sorry that TX was where you lost a lot of $ that alone is a reason not to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas is a fascinating place but definitely not for the timid. I'd advise against relocation (*smile*). The building in the video is Fort Concho in San Angelo. It was built in 1867 during the American Indian Wars.

      The water in the video is a small lake that was very near my house. In the winter lots of Canadian geese would migrate there.

      Delete
  3. Nice post, Jon - thank you for sharing the photos and cool music, too! BTW, I had to laugh my ass off when you said "El Cheapo" because I actually grew up hearing that word at home A LOT ha ha ha!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used the term El Cheapo for years (and I named my camera in honor of it) I'm glad it gave you some laughs - and delighted to know I'm not the only one who uses it!

      Delete
  4. Both video and music most enjoyable, Jon, and of course the written words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Valerie. Glad you enjoyed the video. It transported you to Texas without all the trouble of actually having to go there!
      Take care, and hugs to you and Charlie!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this so much! You're absolutely right about emphasizing the "West" in "West Texas." (Unless someone's lived there, they probably wouldn't understand.) If you don't mind me asking, how did your parents initially come to reside there? I get where your experiences muddied your feelings about Texas … I feel the same way about Florida. Nevertheless, I expect I'll always be a little homesick for having lived my 'best life' while in West Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely is a huge difference between West Texas and other parts of the state. I warned my parents about moving to Texas, but they were naively optimistic. They thought it would be an inexpensive (and easy) place to live. When they got there, their problems had just begun......

      I could write a book about my own Texas experiences - my neighbors were drug dealers and prostitutes and they were friends with the cops. After I turned them in to the "authorities" I received death threats and my house was shot at!!!
      That was only the beginning of my problems....

      Delete
  6. They really have snow in Texas? And Pumpkins? I had to chuckle at the "yellow Rose of Texas". I actually watched that old John Wayne movie... Ah yes! Losing a ton of Money in a former state you once called home... bad memories from 2001-2010. Michigan will never be my home again... But I do miss the Great Lakes. And all that Outdoor junk we used to do. Probably that is why I'm so bitter about that state. ( you love it, it breaks your heart.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern West Texas - on the high plains near Lubbock - can have surprisingly harsh winters. It can get very cold, with snow - - but the snow doesn't last long. It usually melts in a few days. That area is great for growing pumpkins. Those pumpkins in the video were from my garden (so was that yellow rose).

      San Angelo is much farther south and EXTREMELY HOT - but even they got a dusting of snow one year.

      Delete
  7. I’ve never been to Texas and I certainly didn’t expect to see snow in your pictures. The yellow tree by the lake is amazing. My son’s best friend in college was a girl from Austin. She dazzled me, to be honest. Just a super down to earth gal. I was hoping it wasn’t so platonic. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of West Texas is hot and arid (San Angelo was the hottest place I ever lived),
      but in the northern part (on the high plains) winters can be surprisingly harsh. It occasionally snows, but the snow seldom lasts very long.

      Those yellow trees are fascinating, but I've never discovered what kind of trees they are.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.