Monday, December 26, 2016

ALL GOOD THINGS

 Sunset on Christmas Day

Christmas is finally over, but we're still ensconced in the maddening limbo of the holiday season. New Year's Eve is our next hurdle.

I've decided to curtail my complaints, rants, grievances, and general misery - and try to concentrate on all good things. At least for a few minutes. As a hardcore pessimist it won't be easy, but it's my holiday gift to you.

I finally replied to your comments on my previous post. I generally love comments (as long as they're not death threats), but I don't always acknowledge them simply because I'm lazy - and often because I have nothing interesting to contribute.

Christmas Eve was remarkably pleasant and I savored the persistent fog and dreary weather. I ate supper at midnight and watched the 2002 Hallmark movie Silent Night - which was remarkably good. It was based on a true story about a group of American and German soldiers who were unwittingly brought together by fate on Christmas Eve in 1944.
It's available on YouTube, in case anyone cares. 

On Christmas day the fog and rain cleared out and the temperature rose to 65 balmy degrees (that's Fahrenheit, for those of you in Stockholm). The day was marred by four (yes, four) power outages. They were consistently annoying but mercifully brief.

Today - which I'm assuming is Monday - is still unseasonably mild and windy. It's a clean wind here (not tainted with west Texas dirt), and it inspires the treetops to sing as a great haunting chorus.


 This was my back yard in west Texas during a windstorm (no, I am not kidding)

 This is my Tennessee back yard today during a windstorm. I rest my case.


I watched another movie recently, the 2012 German film Ludwig II starring Sabin Tambrea as the ill-fated Bavarian King (directed by Peter Sehr). Despite taking many liberties with historical accuracy, I thought it was a wonderful film. It certainly held my interest for the two and a half hour duration. 

It's difficult to compare this recent film with the 1973 film about Ludwig II directed by Visconti - - both efforts are good in their own right. 

 Sabin Tambrea as King Ludwig II

I've always had a strong penchant for Ludwig II, the "mad" Bavarian king, because in many ways we were alike. I never held the belief that he was insane, but rather feel that he was an extreme eccentric who chose to avoid the harsh realities of life and kingship by escaping into the safe and soothing fantasy of music, art, and literature.

This is the real King Ludwig II

When I was a child, I escaped from the brutal reality of my father's violence and abuse by reading books, writing, and delving into music. This chimerical safe zone of artistic delusion has followed me throughout life.

Two more things: just for the record, I never agreed with the general theory that Ludwig committed suicide. I believe that he was murdered by his (many) enemies.
The 2012 film Ludwig II is available on YouTube, if you want to see it. It's definitely not a movie that will appeal to everyone - and it's in German. Be sure to enable the English subtitles (I can understand German, but the subtitles help immensely).

I never initially intended this post to be a movie review but, hopefully this transgression will be forgiven.

Now I'm off to feed my cats, feed the 'possums, and make dinner (for myself). 
 

20 comments:

  1. "Silent Night" sounds enormously intriguing! Probably not, but I wonder if it's not akin to "Das Boat."

    Even without knowing his back-story, Ludwig's facial structure and expression seem vulnerable. Fragile, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed "Das Boat" but haven't seen it in a long time. I think it's available on YouTube (but YouTube is always VERY quick to remove movies due to copyright violations...)

      King Ludwig was indeed fragile and somewhat vulnerable. One thing is certain - he never really wanted the responsibilities of kingship.

      Delete
  2. I was going to say Ludwig seems to look vunerable too. The back story is fascinating to be sure. Watching a good movie sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched any movies in a long time - and I'm pleasantly surprised at how many good ones can be found on YouTube.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a decent Christmas. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Decent" is all we can ask for, Donna. I savor these quiet, peaceful days but - much like you - I suffer from winter depression.

      Delete
  4. Happy Boxing Day! Xmas eve we listened to a rendition of 'White Christmas' sung in Vietnamese at a Vietnamese restaurant (it was fabulous). Xmas was spent at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admittedly never heard "White Christmas" sung in Vietnamese - - that is a unique experience! I haven't been to a Vietnamese restaurant since I lived in Southern California.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you sounding happy, Jon!
    And yes, happy Boxing Day! It's the day after already here (Oz) and the weather is pleasant for a change - a comfortable 28ºC, instead of the 38s we've been having some days.
    We feed our possums here, too, although they don't look the same as yours, and they certainly are not in the least vicious. In fact they'll take the chunks of banana from our hands if we are too slow, and if they miss and get a bit of finger, their teeth seem pretty blunt. Their claws now, they are to be avoided at all costs. But they only use those on other creatures, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was initially surprised at how docile 'possums are - but I was apprehensive about being bitten. I had no idea that their claws are so dangerous. I don't think I'll attempt feeding them by hand - - I need all ten fingers to play the piano (*smile*).

      Delete
  6. I want to watch the first one, for sure, but it has subtitles and right now with my eyes giving me grief I don't want to strain them so I saved it for later. Sounds like a good one.

    The sun came out today after our ice storm. Being only 11 degrees I don't know how much of these layers of ice will melt. I put out extra seed for the birds and giggle as I watch the grouse slip and slide and stumble across the sidewalk after they have had their fill. Yes, it is that icy. I am grateful I don't have to go anywhere. ;) Have a wonderful day, Jon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing to do in icy, wicked winter weather is stay home and snuggle up - - while sipping a hot beverage and watching a movie.

      The first movie that I mentioned, "Silent Night", doesn't have subtitles. Just go to YouTube and type a search for "Silent Night movie 2002" or "Silent Night Hallmark 2002"
      The second film "Ludwig II" does have subtitles, and they can indeed be annoying for sensitive eyes.

      Hugs to Karma!

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you had a nice Christmas. It has been very warm here too. Today was 62!!!! I'm ready to get out the square cuts!! Christmas was good for me, but then yesterday found out a dear bloggers had passed away. What is it with the year 2016 and death? Beautiful shots Jon. Your good with the camera I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warm weather didn't last long - - it's starting to cool down and I hate it.
      Such a tragedy with all the recent deaths - George Michael, Carrie Fisher, etc. Gone far too soon.

      Delete
  8. Jon,
    I'll take this balmy weather!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take it, too, Ron - - but it only lasted a few precious days. The Big Cooldown has arrived!

      Delete
    2. I suppose "cool down" should be two words, not one!

      Delete
  9. Haven't seen either film yet. Looking forward to doing so. You know my views on Ludwig II's demise. He was either shot or poisoned for offering an alternative to the Prussian war-machine. Nor was he mad --I believe he was among the few rational leaders in a power-crazed time. Excellent post and best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been fascinated with Ludwig II. The more I read about his life, the more I am convinced that he wasn't insane - - and that he was definitely murdered.
      I hope 2017 will be kind to us.

      Delete
  10. And sounds like you made sure the possums had a good Christmas too. Yes, what you say about Tennessee always makes me feel it must be paradise for all its faults, compared to the hell that was West Texas for you, with your terrible neighbours and lazy realtor. It is true, Ludwig was a very interesting character. I went to Schloss Neuschwanstein as a kid, but last time I went to Bavaria I really wanted to go and see The King's House on Schachen, and visit Herrenchiemsee which are also part of his legacy. However Bavaria was about neck deep in snow and also nobody would accept credit cards and ATMs didn't work because of a dispute they were having with the banks. So my time there was trying to get enough hard cash to buy enough food in the PennyMarkt to feed 3 of us till the roads were clear enough that we could get to a working ATM.... all stuff which I am sure Ludwig II never had to bother about! I'd love to see the film, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.