Thursday, November 8, 2018

AUTUMNAL EPITAPH




Let's talk of graves, of worms, and epitaphs;
make dust our paper
and with rainy eyes write sorrow
on the bosom of the earth.

from Richard II, Shakespeare

Every once in a while a dusty quote from my poetic youth comes to mind, as a sober reminder of days that were once filled with an insatiable quest for knowledge and the uncanny ability to retain it.

Those days have long vanished. Lately I have trouble enough remembering my own phone number, let alone the intricate effusions of literary masters.....

......but yesterday, while rambling through the fading autumn foliage in the nearby woods, I was suddenly recalling soliloquies from Shakespeare that I learned in college decades ago.

So what's my point?
The mind works in strange ways.
And I've probably been alone in the wilderness too long.



This mild autumn weather will end soon, with frigid temperatures predicted to move in this weekend. I'm dreading it.

My walks in the woods are always a blessed inspiration: providing the (temporary) rejuvenation of a weary soul and a rare time for uninterrupted thought.
I'm in a deeply melancholic mood - which many people don't understand, but which has always been a part of my nature.

The fleeting beauty of golden autumn is a time for remembrance....and a somber reminder of all the subtractions that have extinguished the light along the path of our lives.

The golden moments are precious but all too brief.






 



I'm always delighted that I only have to wander a few feet from my back porch to get these photos.

16 comments:

  1. My memory is often non-existent as confirmed in an incident this week about which I shall write about. I wonder if beautiful scenery such as yours would help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beautiful scenery always puts me in a calm and meditative mood - and that's when I always think the most clearly.

      Delete
  2. I'm not that familiar with Mr. Shakespeare … but I think I 'get' what you mean. When I'm enjoying the quiet, the solace of feeling alone, the most RANDOM (i.e., bizarre) thoughts spring into my consciousness. Olden songs, as well -- that I KNOW I could not have possibly overheard in the supermarket or a television background.

    Thank you for sharing your autumnal splendor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need the blessing of solitude to purify our thoughts, which are too often tainted by outside influences.

      I was never a huge Shakespeare fan, but every once in awhile one of his poetic effusions will intrigue me. I took a Shakespeare class in college and was forced to study his plays.

      Delete
  3. So beautiful there...while it lasts, I know. But if it were like that all the time, every single day...would we appreciate it as much? Often only distance seems to give us perspective. Just like if we weren't this old we wouldn't be able to look back on our youth as fondly--LOL! ;) Happy fall, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best things in life are indeed fleeting - which is why we savor them. If they lasted forever we'd definitely lose interest. I always yearn for the illusion of things past - - which in reality probably weren't so great....

      Delete
  4. Yes, the mind does work in strange ways. Your words about the golden moment being precious and brief made a memory spring to my mind. The theme of our senior prom was "One Brief Shining Moment." We didn't appreciate the importance of those words nearly as much then as we do now. The older we get, the more precious those golden moments are, and I am oh-so glad that even though you're feeling somewhat melancholy, you're also feeling appreciative of the beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered that it takes a long time to fully appreciate the importance of many things (unfortunately). When I was in high school I couldn't really relate to "one brief shining moment"....but I sure do now.

      Delete
  5. I can't pick a favourite season, but trees are probably my favourite symbols for each. Deciduous for the embracing of change, evergreens for the hardiness. I hope the beauty and the poetry get you through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked the transitional seasons best - spring and autumn. Trees are definitely the most inspiring seasonal symbol. Warm thoughts and memories certainly do a lot to melt the wintry ice.

      Delete
  6. the trees are beautiful. inspiration for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get tired of absorbing the wonders of nature - always soothing and reassuring. And definitely inspiring!

      Delete
  7. Your color down there is even more rich than the last view. Alas....from my post last weekend, the leaves up here have more than half fallen off already. With winds we are getting today, they will be but gone too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how long the leaves are hanging on this year. Usually they are just about gone by mid-November. Today the "high" temp was in the low 30's. I'm suddenly yearning for summer....

      Delete
  8. i ran across your blog from a entry comment on Ron's blog. Great Blog.. i'll flow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tommy - thanks for stopping by. I'm always delighted to get new visitors.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.