Saturday, July 20, 2019

TURANDOT : THE ICE PRINCESS








 My opera posts are almost as unpopular as my political posts......but don't panic. Look at the positive side:
I'm diverse and unpredictable, which makes me fascinating.
Or perhaps unbearable.

Above: via SoundCloud
This is my piano transcription of music from the opera Turandot by Puccini, which I wrote when I was twenty. It's one of my most difficult (and favorite) transcriptions. 
A reckless and brash hodgepodge of themes from my favorite opera, peppered with unnecessary difficult passages shamelessly intended to show off my astounding technique.

Should I insert a *smile* here?

One of the greatest tragedies in operatic history is that Giacomo Puccini (1858 - 1924) died before he completed Turandot.
The final scene of the opera was finished by composer Franco Alfano, who used sketches left by Puccini. This finale is adequate, but lacks the sublime genius of Puccini - whose incomparable skill would have made it a masterpiece.




 My pen & ink sketch of Puccini

So, who is Turandot?
The name is derived  from the Persian Turan-Dokht (daughter of Turan).

In the opera, Turandot is a Chinese Princess: beautiful and mesmerizing, but cold and ruthless with an inability to love. The tragic death of one of her beloved ancestors has inspired her to hate men - and take revenge on them.


Despite Turandot's many negative aspects, she is (inexplicably) extremely desirable and many men of noble blood have sought her hand in marriage - - with dire consequences.

Here's the catch:
in order to marry Turandot, the potential groom must first successfully answer three riddles. If he fails the test, he's put to death by beheading. 

To make a long story short (if it's not too late) - valiant Prince Calaf comes along, correctly answers the three riddles and marries Princess Turandot. His burning love eventually melts Turandot's icy heart and - we can only hope - they live happily ever after.

In essence, love conquers all.

The plot might seem a bit hokey, but the concept (theatrically speaking) works.

The entire opera takes place at night and is drenched in moonlight, exotic mysticism, echoes of danger, a lavish setting, and underlying eroticism. 

In the first act, the unfortunate Prince of Persia fails to answer the three riddles. During the rising of the moon, before a horrified crowd, he is executed.
His severed head is displayed for all to see. 
The sinister scene is deliciously intriguing.

Puccini's music is completely intoxicating and beyond superb: majestic, exotic, erotic, overwhelmingly beautiful.
Of course, I am prejudiced.....

 Franco Zeffirelli's magnificent production of Turandot at the MET


If there are any opera aficionados out there - - who is your favorite Turandot?

Anne Roselle's interpretation of Turandot is very impressive in some old 1927 recordings - but her voice seemed more suited for Butterfly.

I always liked Eva Martin's Turandot (I met her once and she gave me her photo with an inscription in Hungarian, but it was lost when I moved to TN).


Brigit Nilsson was arguably the best - she was like a Sherman tank - - pulverizing everything in her path.

My personal favorite Turandot is the late, great Ghena Dimitrova. Her powerful voice was superb. In my humble opinion she was flawless.


Ghena Dimitrova
as Turandot

 
 One more thing:

If you want to see a video of me playing my Turandot transcription, you can find it on my YouTube channel Jayveesonata.




9 comments:

  1. Jon, first, you play the piano absolutely beautifully. BRAVO! I've never seen the Puccini opera, Turandot, however from listening to you play, I have heard that piece before, and it's stunning. Puccini's music always makes me teary-eyed because it tugs at your heart. Many years ago when I was still a stage actor, I was in Puccini's, La Boheme. It was with the Orlando Opera Company. I played the character of Parpignol, a toy vendor. I had only 2 solo singing lines, but it was an experience I will always remember. It was the very first opera I was ever in and it was magical!

    Whenever I hear music from La boheme,I immediately think of the movie, Moonstruck. Brilliant film!

    Thanks so much for sharing your passion for opera. I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ron! It's refreshing to know that someone actually appreciates my opera post. When I wrote that piano "transcription" of Turandot I was only 20 yrs. old and admittedly knew very little about the opera. Now that I'm familiar with the musical score I would write it much differently.

    Puccini's music always tears at my heart - it's really difficult to choose a favorite opera. He had an uncanny way of charging our emotions. It's fantastic that you had a part in La Boheme! Actually being a participant on the stage during a performance would be incredible.

    Believe it or not, I've never seen Moonstruck. I'll add it to my list of must-sees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me! who said your opera posts were unpopular? Just you carry on being diverse and unpredictabe. It's better than being boring.

    As for the characters you write about, I find them exgtremely interesting. Keep 'em coming, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile, Valerie - and it gave me hope and courage. I wish more people would think like you.

      Delete
  4. Exactly … yours are always interesting. Besides, this is the only opportunity I've left to absorb any class. :)
    Sorry to be late; I tried commenting yesterday, but this post had been taken down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had completely forgotten that I took the post down, Myra. I disliked my first post (thought it was boring) and rewrote it. The second post is still boring, but better than the first.

      "Class"?? I have about as much class as a six-pack of Budweiser.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jon, this is totally off topic. You mentioned that you love Hollywood. There is this guy that has a you tube site and he does a great job of telling us about Hollywood and its stars and. I have learned a few new things since I got hooked. "daze with Jordan the lion". BTW we live a few blocks from where Lucy and Ricky had their first home. Google it, Lucy and Ricky's Chatsworth home, it should pop up. We also live about two miles west of Barbara Stanwick and Robert Taylors estate they had build in the thirties. It was designed by the same guy, Paul Williams, that designed the them building at LAX. It's the space ship looking building in the middle of it all. Stanwik's home is now owned by the city of Los Angeles. It is the Stanwick home in Northridge. After she moved out, Jack Okie lived there for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Mike - - I'm familiar with "Jordan the Lion" and I follow his channel on YouTube (I'm a rather recent subscriber). Ironically, the first video of his that I watched was the one that featured Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor's home!

      Ron Tipton sent me a book about Lucy and Desi and it has some photos of their Chatsworth ranch. It's really interesting that you live so close to it. I wonder who owns it now?
      Anyway, thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. Their place was at the corner of Corbin and Devonshire, southwest corner. It is all homes now. We are about four blocks west of what was once their place.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.