Thursday, April 15, 2021

POSTCARDS AND WHATEVER

Inspired by one of Myra's
recent blog posts, I had planned to do a BIG post about postcards. I have over three hundred postcards that I've collected since I was a kid. And I have at least a hundred cards that my father got during WWII when he was in Europe, Italy, and Africa.

I was excited about my potential endeavor...
....until....I realized that pictures of the postcards would only look good if they were scanned. Unfortunately, my printer/scanner isn't working.

I tried to take photos of the cards and they turned out horrible - - fuzzy and blurry (kind of like my mind...). 

So, I'll only share a few, and save my Big Postcard Post for another time (when I have a working scanner).

Have you ever seen wooden postcards? I got these when I lived in the Missouri Ozarks. They're made of real (thin) wood.


Here's the verso. There's a caution that they should be hand-stamped if mailed. And there's still an Osco sticker on it, which is obviously where I bought them.

Ever see a round postcard?

My cousin Nancy's parents (Aunt Ann and Uncle Jack) sent this when they went on a skiing trip to the Austrian Alps. Can't read the postmark so I don't know what year it was. 1970s or 80s.



I got these postcards in Mexico when I was about fifteen. The dresses on the senoritas are made with real fabric.



Sorry for the inferior quality of the photos.

My entire life has been inferior quality lately - I'm plagued with problems and health issues, but I'll spare the grim details. Some days I'd like to just crawl into bed and never emerge again.....

One the bright side (assuming that there might be one) - - I'm seriously thinking of getting a new computer. My laptop is working fine but it's over six years old and won't last forever. I saw a computer that I really like in Walmart. It's a sleek desktop HP that doesn't have a cumbersome old fashioned "tower" or thousands of connecting wires. I'll be able to finish writing my memoirs
(I'm sure you're waiting with breathless anticipation).

I have been so SERIOUSLY depressed over the messy clutter in this small house that I FINALLY did something over the Easter weekend. 

Junk was haphazardly piled up to the ceiling in two of the bedrooms (I have three bedrooms). I cleaned up everything, got rid of all the clutter, and made the rooms look decent.
This long-overdue task lifted a weight off my shoulders.

I'm now in the process of doing my bedroom (the largest of the three). I plan to paint the walls and get some new "throw" rugs.

When I'm finally finished (soon I hope) the house will look completely clean and decent.

BUT
(there's always an inevitable "but")
next I have to completely clean out the garage - which is an absolute nightmare.

Here's Kitzee enjoying the front porch yesterday (some white blossoms in the background).
Bosco was out of camera range.


 


6 comments:

  1. Cleaning up the clutter. You know it is time when you say," EVERYTHING MUST GO!" and do not bother to open the boxes you moved five times with and never opened. If it is not being used, it has to be thrown out! But that theory was not my Parents. They kept everything! Everything attached to a memory. They were always complaining they they could not move around the house, but whenever I would try to help them clean up.. they could sit and tell me stories about the "JUNK" I was about to throw away. Cool Postcards! Dad had an entire shoebox filled with cards from Sweden. For Grandpa... IN Swedish! Having no ability to speak, read or write Swedish, I could not see any reason to keep them. Grandpa Allen was long dead, Grandma kept them even though she could not read them, and passed them to Dad. Maybe my Brother has them, but I was not up for the responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great image of Kitzee with the Spring blossoms!
    Hey, big pat on the back for the purge! I probably spend more mental angst than is healthy, fretting and procrastinating over unwelcome projects. And then I fret about my seeming inability to get them done.

    No way I'd entrust one of those wooden postcards to the care(?) of the U.S. Postal Service! The round one is so cool; and I'm in awe of those featuring real fabric.
    I WAS thinking about putting some of mine out on eBay, but don't want to have to buy a scanner. Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painting is hard work, physically. I'm exhausted even thinking about it. It sounds like a relief to get some clean up done; I'm always less stressed if I get rid of clutter. (or some of it) I have seen wooden postcards, and recently, but never round ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaning, organizing, and downsizing always feels so good.
    I have never seen a wooden postcard or a round one...or one with fabric on that wasn't mixed media, for that matter--LOL! Quite a collection, I bet. I hope you get your scanner working...or a new one. Is it part of the printer--like a printer, copier, scanner? That's what I have but I don't know how to use the scanner part to get the pictures in my laptop. Beyond me...and I guess I've never asked Dagan or Leah to see if it works even. I just take photos on my cellphone of everything. Not as good but I know how to do that, at least--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My scanner is part of the printer. It's quite old and only works with my old desktop computer (which has stopped working completely).

      A lot of printers no longer have scanners - and it's difficult finding one that's compatible with my laptop.
      Unfortunately my cell phone doesn't take very good pictures.

      Delete
  5. These are really cool! I never saw a round post card before either. Pretty neat actually.

    When I was a kid I used to collect stamps - lol!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.