Tuesday, November 23, 2021

ROOSTER RAG



I wanted to post some music associated with turkeys, in honor of Thanksgiving - but turkey music seems to be nearly non-existent.
The once-popular Turkey Trot dance (over 100 years ago) isn't foremost in my piano repertoire.

So I searched through my music files and extracted an old recording I made of the Rooster Rag. 
Heck, roosters are sort of similar to turkeys - - and if you're drunk enough you can't even tell the difference.

Last night I made a video to accompany the music. I threw it together in less than half an hour - which explains the shabby quality.

I'll readily confess that it isn't easy to do anything creative with a rooster theme.

 The Rooster Rag was composed by Muriel Pollack (1895-1971) and published in 1917.

Pollack was a composer/lyricist who started out as a piano player for silent movies. She studied at the New York Institute of Musical Art (which later became Julliard) and eventually had a fairly successful musical career.


Her full name was Mary Muriel Pollock Groll Donaldson (she was married twice). Born in New York, died in Hollywood, California.

I heard that Muriel initially wrote The Rooster Rag when she was about seventeen, but it wasn't published until several years later.
It's a brilliant piece and fun to play. 

If you listen to this recording carefully, you'll probably hear the music manuscript fall off the piano (around 1:12) while I was in the middle of the performance.
Fortunately I kept valiantly playing without missing much of a beat......

                                 Jon

 This was originally posted two years ago



14 comments:

  1. Definitely that Rag time quality. I don't want anyone to know that I know the dif between ragtime, blues or jazz. I'm not known for liking those genres, but I do have my favorites in each category. ( Like the Sting.) For a moment, I was in a John Wayne Saloon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ragtime has never been my favorite genre, yet it has always fascinated me - and it's not easy to play.

      Delete
  2. What's this? You've never heard that grand old classic "Turkey in the Straw"? Where's my banjo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief - I never thought of "Turkey in the Straw". Thanks for reminding me. It's been a very long time since I heard it.

      Delete
  3. What a delight! 'Almost puts me in the mood for the upcoming marathon -- aka, Hunger Games at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delightful (sometimes I actually make myself smile....). It would be appropriate background music for shopping in Walmart.

      Delete
  4. delightful indeed. threw my back out, so i can't toe tap. HAPPY Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest up and take care of your back - - and don't do any turkey trots...

      Delete
  5. Very entertaining, Jon! And you obviously had the music memorized so you didn't really need the sheet music anyhow I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subconsciously I did have it memorized. This piece is fun to play.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyd this very much! Once again, thank you for sharing your God-given talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a fun listen, Jon, and I was also thinking that Thanksgiving gets the short stick in the music dept. by the way, I would delete that comment from Ratana as I believe it’s spam since it has appeared on several of my posts and on the posts of other bloggers. There’s always a link to online gambling or something similar. Also, the comment is always generic and never related directly to the post…just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy. I strongly suspected that Ratana's comment was spam - because I received numerous similar comments in the recent past. They never say anything specific about your post, but rather give a very vague "compliment".

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.