Sunday, December 9, 2018

WATER WOES



Every morning after I wake up and reluctantly extract myself from a warm bed and the blissful escape of Dreamland, I always say (out loud, of course)

Jon, what the hell is going to happen next?

I've been bombarded with one unpleasant thing after another ever since I moved here.
My advice to any naive and inexperienced person who wants to  move to a rural area and have a simple life:

Don't do it unless you're young, healthy, and wealthy. There's no such thing as a "simple life".

Of course, I'm far from being naive or inexperienced.

When I was young I hustled the streets of Hollywood - which quickly knocked every semblance of innocence and inexperience out of me.

Later I lived in the Missouri Ozarks and West Texas - which knocked everything else out of me.
The mega problems I had in Texas were so humongous that they make Tennessee look like an E ticket ride at Disneyland.

Does anybody remember those old E tickets at Disneyland, or am I the only one?



But where was I?
Oh yea - getting out of my Tennessee bed in the morning.

I know that you're all breathlessly (not to mention impatiently) waiting for me to get to the point, but - heck - I'm here to entertain you,
and if I get to my point too quickly  it will greatly diminish the entertainment value.

For the past few months I've been having water pressure problems (in the faucets in my house). The pressure will suddenly drop drastically (usually to a paltry trickle) and stay that way for hours. Then it will (suddenly) be normal again.

I (reluctantly) learned to live with it - and attributed it to yet another delight of living in the wilderness.

Yesterday afternoon there was no water at all. Absolutely none. I was worried (not to mention annoyed) but figured I'd wait it out and see what would happen.
Sure enough, within three hours the water was back on.

I breathed a *sigh* of relief and took a short nap.
Then I got up to prepare a very late dinner. 

I turned on the kitchen sink faucet. No water emerged - but
a VERY THICK brown mud oozed out.
It looked like chocolate pudding, only worse.

I panicked.
Then I called the emergency number for the water company.

After I explained the problem I had to pinpoint exactly where I live, which wasn't easy since I'm about a zillion miles from town.

The guy was extremely nice, but I experienced the same problem that I had with people in West Texas.

I don't want to sound condescending, but

I cannot understand these southern hillbilly accents. I swear to Gawd it's true and I'm not exaggerating.

(I won't mention the fact that my telephone connection isn't exactly perfect - which exasperates indecipherable southern accents)

Anyway -
he explained something about the fact that my property is situated in an odd place (as if I didn't know...) where I am located over (or perhaps under) the creaky and rusted mechanisms of a main water valve that gets clogged and periodically fills with gunk and
what the hell else, I don't know.

Before sending a maintenance team out (which would take a couple hours) he suggested that I run the kitchen tap for five minutes and then call him back.

I ran the tap for five and a half minutes and the water miraculously cleared.
I called him back.

He did his best to appease my apprehension that the water might not be safe to drink.

It'll be safe, he assured me.

Later last night - long after midnight - I made a cup of tea.
I let the water boil a long time.
After drinking the tea I was expecting to get violently ill and eventually croak.

But it's now Sunday morning. And I'm still alive.
I think.



 

26 comments:

  1. Glad you managed to understand the accent enough to follow his advice! It is pretty scary to have water replaced with mud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially thought it might be a water pipe inside the house. I'm (slightly) relieved that it's an "outside" problem. But the mud is indeed scary.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh no! After this last episode, I wonder if you wouldn't have a viable advantage on CBS' Survivor.
    Yes, I well remember those Disney tickets. Weren't the GOOD ride tickets purple-colored?

    PS - Trying my best not to burst out in the (theme) song from "Green Acres." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember if the good ride tickets were purple. I used to have several old Disneyland ticket books but - unfortunately - they were with my diaries and journals that the movers "lost".

      "Green Acres" should definitely be my theme song
      or perhaps a revision called "Acres From Hell".

      Delete
  3. Glad your water is running again. If there is mud appearing I think there's a good chance that there's a crack in a pipe somewhere.

    We lost power after the earthquake a week ago. We have well water and the pump needs electricity to operate. Fortunately there was water in the tea kettle and we have a gas stove that I could light with matches so at least was able to make instant coffee. After we got power back I filled jugs and buckets with water as a precaution. You know, locking the barn after the horse has been stolen.

    The earthquake must have triggered Amazon's shopping advisor. Today I was offered freeze dried food, water purification tablets, etc.

    I remember those Disneyland tickets. I think it costs over $100 per day per person nowadays. I don't know how families can afford it. Of course I don't understand how young couples can buy million dollar homes on House Hunters either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, I'm glad you survived the earthquake! Did your house sustain any damage? That was a strong one!!

      I'm sick of waking up to new problems every day - and I haven't mentioned all of them on my blog. Ironically, the worst things always happen on a weekend or a holiday.

      I used to watch House Hunters when I had a TV and I ALWAYS wondered how all those extremely young couples could afford mega-expensive homes.

      Delete
  4. That is so weird!! I have never heard of anything like that and would find it very disconcerting! I am glad you are okay and the water cleared up. Whew! What next, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that worries me is that all these water problems only started fairly recently. I've been here four years and never previously had any trouble.

      Delete
    2. Has there been flooding in your area at all? Or drought? That can make a difference. Even fracking. :(

      Delete
    3. Never any flooding around here and definitely no droughts. It could possibly be caused by all the rain....?? who knows...

      Delete
  5. So many things can go wrong in the country that a city-dweller can’t even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a fool to initially think I'd have a simple, uncomplicated life in the country - - but, admittedly, I still like the peace and privacy.

      Delete
  6. I seem to be sailing in the same or a similar boat as you but I won't mention the faults in my home in case things get worse! However, aside from the setbacks, I bet country life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always "superstitious" about mentioning bad things out loud for fear that they'll get worse - but they seem to be bad no matter what I do...

      Despite all the problems and inconveniences, I really do love the peace and privacy of rural life.

      Delete
  7. I am glad You Sir are Alive and Well.... Louisiana Accents are the worst...we muddle our words...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy, I'm still alive but couldn't attest to the fact that I'm well.
      I think a lot of non-southerners muddle their words, too (*smile*)

      Delete
  8. Jon, I hope you got the name of the telephone contact for future access to his knowledge. What he suggested you do to clear the line is next to faith healing --faith plumbing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have his number, Geo, and he said to call any time I have trouble - so that's reassuring. I need all the faith healing I can get.
      (don't we all?)

      Delete
  9. Bet you can't beat my surprise when I woke up Sunday morning & looked at face book only to see a picture of my son & his cousin on my husband's side with a pretty woman between them & the caption "I finally met my brother (my son) & my cousin after looking all my life for him. The woman is 1 month older than my daughter. Am still trying to wrap my head around this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean your son in Florida?? Was this woman serious or is it a sick joke?? That's a real shocker.
      I have lots of questions but will save them for later. Face Book is always filled with unpleasant surprises.

      I'm having trouble reactivating my cell phone, so I can't text. I'll probably try to buy a new one next time I'm in town (which will be either Friday or next Monday). Anyway, take care & luv.

      Delete
  10. My son in New York. It was at the funeral of Jim's brother Tommy's son who disappeared & was found floating in the rariton river in Jersey. She went to the funeral looking for Jim. Its almost to crazy to be real! It gave me such a bad migraine headache I thought I was going to stroke out. Need to get to the bottom of this mess. My other kids are just as upset as me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really is bizarre - fact is always stranger than fiction. I can understand how upset you are but DON'T let it devour you. Whatever happened, there's no way to change it now. Stay strong. I hope the mess can be straightened out. Keep in touch....

      Delete
  11. the lack of water complicates things for sure. MUD in it only makes the matter worse. Glad the guy on the phone knew what to do. So at least you're outta the woods so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it doesn't happen again - but I have a strong feeling it will...

      Delete
  12. Water concerns seem to abound these days.... we just got new water lines in the Garden District two years ago.... the fire hydrant across the street was put in in 1901... it had the manufactuers date on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1901??? Wow - I'm really surprised that it lasted so long!!! That's amazing!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.