Thursday, May 14, 2015

MORE HAIRY STORIES



(Hey Phil, thanks for making me look cuter than I really was)



I was a nervous, timid kid. My home life was harrowing, since my parents marriage was constantly turbulent. Both my parents worked, so I was often cared for by relatives or neighbors. Things were always unstable and I was always apprehensive. Somewhere around the age of three (possibly four??) I developed the habit of twisting my hair around one finger and tugging at it. I didn't do it constantly, but I did it often enough to annoy my father.

One day Dad grabbed me and whisked me off to the barber shop. He plopped me down in the chair and said to the barber "Cut it all off!"

The son of a bitch did. 

Within three minutes of the clipper's buzz, I was as bald as Humpty Dumpty. I looked like a frickin' midget from Camp Pendleton.



 Me during my third Christmas.
I looked cranky, but at least I still had my hair.

From that day on, hair was a big issue for me and I had an intense aversion to barber shops. I was subsequently subjected to crew cuts for many years, although - judging from photos - the length of my hair fluctuated from nearly bald to almost normal.

On my third-grade school photo my crew cut looked so horrible that I hid the picture from everyone. To this day nobody's seen it. From grades four through six my hair seemed to be a more reasonable length. Perhaps my parents finally realized that I shouldn't go through life looking like Sluggo.



Second Grade, age six. I'm the one in the striped shirt. I wasn't subjected to another crew cut until I was in third grade.


By seventh grade (which was Junior High in California) my hair was long enough to part and comb over to one side. That was the "longer" hair style that the surfers wore back then, so everyone started calling me "Surfer".

So, Jon, when are you gonna get to the good stuff?

There is no good stuff. I'm merely walking down a Hairy Memory Lane. 
 
My high school years occurred during the  hippie era. One or two guys dared to have long hair in school, but they were inevitably expelled. Hair cuts for boys were still de rigueur. If your hair grew long enough to touch the top of your ears, it was considered too long.

I was sixteen during my senior year. My maternal grandmother died that autumn and we went back east to attend the funeral. Numerous relatives icily commented that I needed a haircut.



Graduation, age sixteen
my hair was considered too long


Men's hair was a huge issue at that time. You were either a clean-cut non-conformist collegiate type, or a radical, freakish, trouble-making hippie. If a man let his hair grow anywhere near the realms of "shaggy", snide comments would inevitably be hurled.

When are you gonna get a haircut?
Do you want to be a girl?
Are you trying to be a hippie?
Are you a frickin' fairy?
(Yea. Wanna see my magic wand?)

When I was sixteen I happened to encounter my cousin George in New Jersey. George was ten years older than myself and a successful restaurateur. He was always known as a stuck-up condescending snob.

He didn't even bother to say "hello". He simply sneered and said "I'd never let you work in my restaurant with hair like that!"

I was shocked. Hey, Georgie old boy - how'd you like a turkey baster up your ass?

Fortunately I was disgustingly sweet and polite back then. I didn't dare say one word.

Here's a delicious aside:
Ol' George has since been married about five times. I heard that one of his ex-wives dumped boiling water on him, then drove her car through the side of his house (no lie - I couldn't make this stuff up).
Hey - revenge is sweet....... 




After high school graduation I slowly but surely started letting my hair grow - nothing close to radical hippiedom, but long enough to be contentedly shaggy. I began using lemon juice on it (like some surfers did) so it was sun-bleached.



 Hippie Jon (I'm the one on the right......in case you couldn't guess....)

I went through numerous phases during my colorful California youth:

The Huntington Beach Surfer. 
 I was far from ever being an adept surfer, but I could pass for a reasonable facsimile.

The Quasi-Hippie.
 Any one remember puka shell necklaces, granny glasses, and mood rings?

Devotee of Transcendental Meditation.
 I wore sandals and East Indian clothing. A guru told me to give up my worldly possessions and abstain from sex. 
I had no worldly possessions. I abstained from sex for about three hours.

Post Vietnam Army Fatigues and Dog Tags.
 I used to haunt Army & Navy surplus stores. I wound up looking like a reject in a casting call for "Platoon".

Hollywood Boulevard Midnight Cowboy. Arguably my best facade. And my most popular one.



So, what does all this have to do with my hair? 

Through all of my many phases and identities, I've never again went to a barber. Never had another crew cut. Never trusted anyone to cut my hair but myself. Never gave a damn about what anybody thought about my hair.


I might look like the far side of hell, but at least I'm content.







Nowadays, at 150 years old, I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks. 



Note:
all of my family photos are still stored on my desktop computer, which I haven't unpacked yet, so I didn't have much of a choice. I had to take all of the above photos from my old blog Lone Star Concerto.



 










17 comments:

  1. As one who has to buy his grooming supplies at the hardware store, I have always admired you people with manageable hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geo - my mother's hair was manageable. Unfortunately, mine never was. My hair didn't require a barber - it needed an exorcist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of Dancing with the Stars, and I thought the young guy Riker looked a lot like some of your younger pictures you have posted. He was my favorite I'm hoping he wins. Take care. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't watched Dancing With the Stars in a long time. I'll have to check it out to see what Riker looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally saw Riker Lynch. He does remind me of myself when I was young.

      Delete
  5. Jon,
    What a great post! I an identify with it so much. You've given me an idea for a future post (smile). Hey, guess what? I also had a habit of twirling my hair. I was embarrassed to be caught at it because it was considered something "sissy" to do so I usually did it in private. That was when my hair was longer of course. For several hear I had a crew cut (de rigueur for boys in the Fifties). Of course these days my favorite location for twirling my hair no longer exists on my scalp and besides, I get a buzz cut these days. I've never had hair over my ears though purposely even in the days in the Seventies when that was the style. By the way, you were a cute kid. It's a shame your father didn't appreciate you more.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was initially hesitant to write a post about hair, but I'm glad you enjoyed it - - and I really hope it inspires you to write something in the future ( your tales about the past are always interesting).

      Hey, it's reassuring to know I wasn't the only kid who twisted his hair.

      Delete
  6. Haven't seen the snake before. He/she is as cute as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Paula - - I think the snake is cuter than me....

      Delete
  7. What a boat-load of memories you've evoked! My personal baptism-in-Hell came when my parents decided my braids were too much trouble; that I'd look cute in a 'pixie' cut. Not. (Love what you said about needing an exorcist. Next!)

    Ya, I have to smile at what adults used to consider 'long' hair on boys/men. Then JFK, Jr.'s photo (yes, that photo) went viral and every mother in America wanted her little boy's hair bobbed like John-John.

    Seriously, I really enjoyed this trip down hairy memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been traumatic to go from braids to a pixie cut. I don't think I ever fully recovered from those crew cuts.
      Myra, I'm so glad you enjoyed my trip down Hairy Memory Lane.

      Delete
  8. Loved your hair stories. That's me in my teens... shell necklaces, granny glasses, and mood rings. When I was a kid my mom always gave me a pixie haircut. I hated it. Too short. She and my dad almost dropped dead when the boys I dated started showing up at the house with shoulder length locks. I heard a few choice words about them looking like girls, but I ignored the digs and so did they. I even helped one of my boyfriends pierce his ears. He looked a tad bit like Johnny Depp playing the pirate Jack Sparrow. I don't think my dad ever got over the earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could relate to my hairy stories. It's amazing how things have changed since we were young. Everything was more colorful. I never got my ears pierced but I was tempted.
      Please update us on your cat!

      Delete
  9. It is a bit scary to look back on our youthful hair experiences! I had long hair and a scraggly beard when I was 19. I never wanted to be a hippie. I suppose I was just expressing my youthful rebellious nature? I like your midnight cowboy look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had a beard, but now that I live in the mountain wilderness I'm thinking about it. I think the midnight cowboy look has haunted me my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS) Dara is making progress albeit slowly. Her spirit is suffering from the fact she not only had the operation but they cut her whiskers off on that side of her face. She is far from her old self. Not really bouncing back the way I hoped. I'll do another blog post about her after she gets her stitches out in 14 days. In the meantime giving her lots of TLC. It took her sister most of this week to even be friendly to her again. You can delete this after I post. It was faster for me to update you this way than looking up your email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to delete this. Dara has been through a very traumatic experience and - loving cats as much as I do - I was truly worried about her. Perhaps she will be more settled and like her old self after the stitches are removed......and after her whiskers grow back.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.