Friday, August 10, 2018

A SUDDEN RANDOM MEMORY





I'm writing this completely inconsequential blog post solely because it's more amusing than all the personal crap I'm presently going through.

Have you ever had a very sudden memory of something that happened long ago, that just popped into your mind for no reason?

I was just lying (or is it laying?) in bed - looking at some mosquito bites on my arm when I suddenly had a flashback:

I'm barely twenty years old. I'm in a Los Angeles Free Clinic (they were abundant back then).
I won't disclose why I was there - except to say that I was getting "tested".

No need to come to dire conclusions. I was nearly innocent back then and pure as the wind driven snow...... 
.....of course, it doesn't snow in L.A. - but that's beside the point.

Anyway, I have to have a blood test.

An old lady comes into the room with a big needle.
She looks damn old to me - - she was probably over 50.

The first thing I notice (besides the big needle) is that she's wearing a name tag that says: 
"Margaret - Volunteer"

The "volunteer" thing unnerves me a little bit - but not as much as the big needle.

Margaret tells me to roll up my sleeve, because she's going to take some blood.  

As I'm rolling the sleeve, she suddenly confesses:
"I've never done this before."

This isn't the first time I heard that phrase, but usually I hear it from someone when we're in bed and smashed from too much liquor.

I never heard it from a medical volunteer. My apprehension escalates.

Before I have time to consider leaving, Margaret jabs the big needle into my arm as hard as she can and suddenly pulls it out, saying
"Oh my God - - I blew it!"

They are her exact words.

Blood is spurting from my ravaged arm like a geyser at Yellowstone.

I don't know who is more panic-stricken - Margaret or me, but the sight of my spurting blood averts my attention from Margaret's horrified face. I'm queasy and fighting hard to keep from passing out.

Another woman (who looks younger and more competent than Margaret) comes into the room and quickly bandages my arm.

When I finally recover enough to sufficiently sit upright again, I'm given a much-needed glass of water. Then the woman who bandaged my arm gets out another needle and draws blood from my other arm.

Much-shaken, and with a newly-found skepticism of all volunteers, I hurriedly leave the free clinic.....
......and vow never to return.

For many years afterward I had a great fear of big needles, the sight of blood, volunteers, and elderly ladies named Margaret.

That's the end of my flashback memory.
It's all true. 
And in retrospect it's almost funny.

Jon (who else?) 

14 comments:

  1. Now that was scary Jon. Wow, that would have freaked me out too. By the way, I often have flashback memories at this time of my life. Some good and (too often), some bad. You have mosquitoes? (Just kidding).
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a big problem with mosquitoes here, but this summer there are more than usual. I hope you're doing okay with the ear infection, Ron. Keep us posted.
      By the way, I'm still reading a lot and thoroughly enjoying the books.

      Delete
  2. She'd been lucky if I didn't grab that needle and stick her ass with it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn't feeling so queasy I would have been angry. I thought I was going to faint.

      Delete
  3. I also once took advantage of a free clinic blood test. My somewhat skewed reasoning was because a female friend of mine had an STD that I too should be tested. We had no partners in common so I guess I felt guilt by association. Happy to say that I didn't test positive for anything. Had I had an experience like yours I probably would never allowed my blood to be drawn again. I cannot believe that they allowed someone with zero experience to attack you like that. Especially unsupervised. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an unnerving experience. I was extremely wild and reckless back then and was always worried about getting VD. I occasionally got tested just to have peace of mind, and those free clinics were the easiest place to go.

      Delete
  4. I don't think they print enough money to have me take blood … or even, administer a shot! I wonder if Margaret ever returned to that clinic? So glad you weren't on (prescription) blood thinners … talk about a geyser!

    PS - Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully Margaret got a job at McDonalds - - far away from needles. I've always had an aversion to blood and needles, and it's gotten even worse now in my old age (not that I'm "old", mind you....).

    I'm always delighted when I induce smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder you haven't thought of this for years. I'd file it away again in the back of your mind as soon as possible--LOL! *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was more resilient back then. If this happened to me today I'd probably faint immediately.
    And when I revived, I'd kill Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jon, Just got home from hospital last night --with about enough blood left to keep a chicken alive. And, yes, this chicken also fears needles. Fortunately I've never had a phlebotomist to compare with your volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo - I was worried about you. You've been blogging infrequently, so I suspected that something was wrong. Anyway I'm glad that you're back home. Please take care and keep us updated when you can. And thanks for taking time to visit my blog.

      Delete
  9. I had a doctor slice open the side of my face to remove a small cyst, and say "opps!"Not what you ever want to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad enough when a volunteer says it. It's FAR worse when you hear it from a doctor.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.