Sunday, October 21, 2018

WILD ONE-EYED ADVENTURE



Well, boys and girls - I've been debating whether or not I should reveal this latest "adventure" on a public blog. It will confirm the absolute chaos in my wretched life and raise serious questions about my sanity (if indeed I still have any).

My entire life has been filled with  unconventional incidents, catastrophic occurrences, chaotic catastrophes, and a generous share of wild adventures.

I thought that as I grew older and attempted to live a simple, uncomplicated existence things would calm down. I was wrong.

My life here in the Tennessee wilderness is fraught with problems, inconveniences, and complications.

I valiantly try to downplay the negatives on this blog - but it ain't easy.

It's no secret that one of the inconveniences I despise most is the long drive into town on a narrow, perilous mountain road. The very thought of navigating it sends me into spasms of acute anxiety.

  Last Friday I had to drive into town. There was no way to avoid it.
I was low on supplies, my car (desperately) needed gas, I had some personal business to take care of, and - most importantly - I had to get a postal money order for some new contact lenses.

I order my contact lenses from Canada. Since I no longer have a credit card I'm compelled to pay with a money order (it's the only alternative payment method they accept).

I desperately need new contacts because one of my lenses recently ripped in half. All I currently have left to see with is an ancient pair of glasses.

I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of driving to town wearing my old glasses but I had no choice.

I was still pondering this when I sat on the edge of my bed - not knowing that my glasses were there until I felt the crunch under my ass.

Leaping up in a panic, I saw the pulverized remains of the only source of vision enhancement that I had.
I'm extremely nearsighted and can't see a herd of elephants two feet away without contacts or glasses.

So, here I am in the wilderness with no glasses, ONE contact lens, and an urgent need to drive into town.

After considering all the alternatives (which were nearly non-existent) I decided to tackle the dilemma head-on:
I guzzled a few beers for courage, popped the one contact lens into my left eye, and got into the car.

Within minutes I'm navigating the harrowing mountainous curves while peering through a grimy windshield and desperately trying to see with one contact lens.

As I'm squinting like Popeye and praying that I won't go over a cliff, I happen to see (with my left eye) the bright red ROAD CONSTRUCTION sign.

I've lived here for four friggin' years and never saw a smidgen of construction work being done on the mountain road. To say it's ironic is an understatement. 

For the next six miles, I'm straining my left eye to avoid hitting construction workers, ramming into steamrollers, and running through freshly-laid patches of tar.

By the time I got to town I was not only catatonic, I needed a crowbar to pry my fingers from the steering wheel.

I won't bore you with details about my one-eyed trip to the gas station, the bank, the post office, or Walmart....

.....but I will say that it's a slight challenge to do one-eyed grocery shopping in a crowded supermarket. Thanks to the long and grueling drive, my normally bad back gave out completely and caused an excruciatingly sharp pain in one of my legs.

I could hardly limp and squint my way to the checkout line.

Let's cut this tedious blog post short (or is it too late?). I won't reveal any details about my drive home - except to say that I did a lot of cursing....and praying.
Not to mention squinting.

A grim postscript:
After I mailed my order to the contact lens company I realized that I made a horrendous mistake when filling out the order form (with one eye). I now have to contact Customer Service and try to get it all straightened out.



 

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jon, I love your way with words in paragraph #2! A nightmare, indeed. Does Walgreens not offer eyeglasses for near-sightedness?
    A few months ago I accidentally scratched my eye. Wearing a contact was out of the question, so ya. I vividly recall the discomfort driving to church and sitting there like Popeye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jon, I'm ashamed to admit I had to surprise a laugh when I read of your adventure riding down those treacherous mountain roads (which I know all too well having visited my father's birth place in the mountains of western North Carolina which borders on Tennessee near Johnson City, TN and Erwin TN). I just just picture you clutching your steering wheel making those turns then coming on ROAD CONSTRUCTION! What were the odds of that happening?! I used to be as nearsighted as you, seeing at a distance was foggy. Now my vision has changed and I can see almost 20/20 distance but closeup I definitely need glasses whereas before I was fine without glasses for reading. I also used to wear contact lenses in my Foolish Youth but couldn't wear them anymore because of a stigma in my left eye so I had no choice but to wear glasses, which I am used to now. Oh the times when I was in the bar and cruised someone on the other side of the bar who I couldn't see clearly, then when I approached them and focused in on their looks, I realized I made a BIG MISTAKE. Hopefully you'll get your contact lenses soon from Canada. By the way, I bought more lottery tickets this morning. Remember, if I win you'll never have another money worry the rest of your life!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you must have made it home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! After all that I hope you get the contact lens situation sorted out.

    I was extremely nearsighted all my life until I got cataract surgery. Now I can see far away and NOT close up. It is weirder than weird. Sure--now I could see better to drive, but without my trifocals not be able to see how much gas I had in the car, or read anything at the grocery store, or write a check. Awk!!

    Even with glasses I can't see to do anything really close--like thread a needle or pluck your eyebrows, for example. Not that I have much in the way of eyebrows but I no longer know exactly what they look like--LOL! Bizarre for a person who had clear vision of up to about 5 inches to suddenly not be able to see anything really close up anymore but can read street signs! It's like living in the Twilight Zone.

    When you said you'd have to drive with one good eye--OMG! My heart lurched and I could feel the panic in my own chest. I have the one wonky eye, too, since the surgery so I often have to close one eye to see to read or type (like right now)--with my glasses on. I hope you got a hold of the Canadian contact place!!

    Take care. Rest your back. You survived!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jon - good grief, what a day that must have been ? Glad you made it home in one piece along with your vehicle intact. Hope your contact lenses get sorted out quick and easy. All the best ... take care !




    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually only wore one contact lens upon the advice of my optician. This allowed me to be able to read documents, for example, without having to use cheater glasses. I'm very near sighted. Once I retired I pretty much only wore glasses except when wearing a helmet for horseback riding. My glasses would fog up so it was back to the one contact. I hope you get things straightened out with the Canadian company.

    I have been trying to reason with a florist who sent my order to the wrong address. They must have an automatic response because I keep getting the same one over and over. Obviously no one is reading my messages.

    Glad you made it back home safely. Hopefully you won't have to leave again anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jon, persevere! For all of us who spent this summer in purgatory, persevere. I could use a good example. All my best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.