Thursday, October 18, 2018

MUSINGS ON A MELLOW OCTOBER AFTERNOON




Well, they're not exactly musings - they're merely thoughts ....but I figured "musings" sounds more poetic and intriguing.

I had planned on going into town today - there's a lot I need to do - but I didn't sleep ten minutes last night (no exaggeration) and I really felt like hell.
I crawled out of bed early, got all ready to go, and then "crashed" on the sofa and fell asleep for a few hours. When I woke up it was nearly 2:00 in the afternoon - far too late to do anything constructive.
So I scrambled some eggs, made coffee, and called it "a day".

I no longer have dire financial problems (like I did last summer) but I'm still plagued with lots of other miseries. They might not sound like a lot - but add them all up and they're a big bitch.

One of my contact lenses ripped in half, so I have to order new ones ( I order them from Canada).

My clothes dryer "blew up" last summer and I'm lost without it (even though I'm no longer in abject poverty, I'm still not ready to buy a new one).
So.....I've been forced to hang clothes outside to dry.

When I lived in West Texas, the humidity was so low that wet clothes would dry outside in fifteen minutes.
Here in incredibly humid Tennessee if you hang clothes outside to dry in May, they'll still be wet in August. No lie.

My microwave also recently went kaput.
I think I can fix it but I need to get the "parts". 
For now, I'm compelled to make everything in the oven
Confession: even though it's quicker to cook things in the microwave, they taste a helluva lot better when cooked in an oven.

Does anybody remember when my computer connection was switched over from copper cable to fiber optics?
They installed a mysterious UPS black box on my wall. Everything was fine at first, but about a week ago the mysterious black box went haywire and started making INCREDIBLY annoying whining and grinding noises.
My computers and telephone still work, but the noisy box is literally driving me to the brink of insanity.
I'll be forced to call Customer Service soon.
If I don't pulverize the box first.....

A band of wayward 'possums broke into my garage and destroyed nearly everything a few nights ago. They have also moved into my roof.
Even though I'm inherently a pacifist - I occasionally get the urge to kill.

Now that the weather is cooler, my three cats have taken up residence on my bed at night. To say that it's uncomfortable for all of us is a gross understatement.

Why the hell don't you just kick them out, Jon?

Despite my crude facade, I'm really a sweetheart. During my long and sordid existence, I can't remember ever kicking anyone out of my bed - - although there were many times when I was tempted.

I'm presently very worried about Scruffy - who is sick and hasn't eaten in the past two days. I spent a good deal of time keeping an eye on her last night.

My complain list is getting too long (and I'm not nearly done).
Should I try to fortify this post with some photos?


 Scratch loves the autumn weather. She spends most of the day on the front porch.


Scratch rolling around by the front door, while Bosco quietly observes her antics from a safe distance.


Scratch and Scruffy camping out on my bed.


A few nights ago I caught the 'possums red-handed as they were tearing everything up in the garage.
This photo is lousy because I took it through a window, without using the flash.


There's still very little color on the foliage. Hopefully it will look better in another week or so.


Shadow of leaves on the side of the house.

I'll bid farewell for now, and give you some time to recover from experiencing the breathtaking magnificence of these photos.


6 comments:

  1. I’m lucky if I sleep 3 hours a night lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sleep "average" used to be six hours a night. Now it's only four or five - if I'm lucky.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, that shadow shot is wonderful! But that business with the UPS black box makes my liver tremble. (I'm easily intimidated by inanimate objects.) That's a stinkin' shame about the microwave. Wonder if you couldn't pick up a used one for a song at Goodwill? That's what we did with the 2 the previous owners left here.

    Sending bunches of positivity for sweet Scruffy. Have you tried Pedialyte? (That's what I give our girls w/ an eyedropper when they're feeling poorly.) Please let us know how she's doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially wasn't going to use the shadow photo, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it.
      I dismantled the mysterious black box this morning and messed around with it (despite my lack of technical knowledge). So far it's now working better with much less noise. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

      If all else fails, I'll eventually buy a new microwave. The one I have is at least 12 years old.

      Scruffy seemed a little better today but I'm still worried. I never thought of Pedialyte but it's a good idea.

      Delete
  3. You know how I love animals--but not in my home. Odd but cute as they may be-out! out!

    I hope Scruffy is okay! I worry so when any of my critters is sick.

    I also hope you get some more sleep! I've been having all kinds of sleep issues with this head cold where I can't breathe through my nose--seems like forever. It wears you down when you can't sleep decently. This cold is going around up here and lasts for weeks Caroline (my cleaning girl) told me. She should know--she had it first and probably gave it to me--ROFL! So far I haven't given it to Ian or anyone over at McFamily's.

    It seems like when things break or wear out they decide to do so in groups! Buggers! I will agree with you, though--things taste better cooked in the oven than in the microwave.

    What a beautiful autumn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cats are spoiled (unfortunately). They mostly enjoy being on my bed when the weather is cold. I'd like to get them a couple of pet beds for the winter - but they'd probably ignore them and prefer to be on my bed.

      It's almost impossible to sleep when you have a cold/congestion. I hope you feel better soon. Have you tried a vaporizer? Sometimes that helps. I'm always reluctant to go out in public because it's so easy to catch a cold or the flu (unfortunately, your cleaning lady seems to have brought it to you!).

      Here in TN the autumn foliage usually looks its best around Halloween. I'll take some photos then.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.