Thursday, May 23, 2019

CELL PHONES, HEAT, POSSIBILITY OF MURDER






Yesterday I received more mail for the guy who used to live here (see my previous post for explanation).

I am starting to get very slightly suspicious. 

I've lived here for four and a half years and never previously received any mail for him at this address. Not one thing.

Here's the Big Question (capitalized for emphasis):

Why this sudden postal surge?
It seems kinda odd.

I know the guy has a dubious past, but I genuinely believed I could trust him.  Now - however - I'm wondering if he has a plan to murder me and reclaim his old homestead.

Don't laugh. Stranger things have happened. He seems like a nice person, but.....

....Jack the Ripper probably seemed like a nice person, too. Until you got to know him. 

The rain has stopped (finally) and the summer heat has arrived a little early. Gorgeous sunny days.

On Tuesday morning the water pressure (here in the house) was very low. Finally there was no water at all. I didn't panic. This happens sporadically.
I said "To hell with it" and decided to drive to town.
By the time I got back home, the water was on again. 

I bought some good things: fresh corn on the cob and tomatoes. Roasted chicken. Ice cream. I haven't had ice cream in years. Tried some yesterday and it was heaven.

I also bought a new cell phone.

The recent Tracfone that I purchased is absolutely worthless. I seldom get a signal and can't text at all. Every time I try to text I get a "Check your network connection" message.

My first Tracfone was great. I had it five years with no problems.

Tracfone now features Alcatel phones, which are so bad that you'd do better using two cans and a string. Or Indian smoke signals.

I recently did some research on Alcatel phones:

They are designed in France.
Anything designed in France is crap.

They are owned by a Finnish company.
What has Finland ever given us but cheese and Sibelius?

They are assembled in China.
This conjures visions of eight-year-olds
working as slave laborers in Mao Tse-tung factories.

Anyway, my new phone is a so-called smart phone. Which was a big mistake - considering that I hardly ever use a cell phone. I only need a cell phone for texting - -
and for emergencies, like if a former resident of this place tries to kill me. 

This "smart" phone is at least five times more expensive to maintain than the Tracfone was. And it has loads of bells and whistles that I'll never use. You can supposedly watch a movie on it.

Who the bloody hell would want to watch a movie on a cell phone??? 

I haven't yet activated my new phone. But I did read part of the 700-page instruction booklet. Which is in about 450 languages.

Globalization, my ass.


15 comments:

  1. I bought my first smart phone about 10 years ago, the lady in the phone store said, "in a week we won't be able to pry it out of your hands!" She lied, it was only about two days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two days seems to be a reasonable amount of time to own a smart phone.
      Three at the most....

      Delete
  2. That is weird that you suddenly are getting mail from that guy! Maybe there is more to it, yes. Hummm...

    I am so lucky. I have my tech support deal with hooking up phones, internet, etc (Leah--LOL!). She even called herself that when she just connected my new headset to work wireless with my laptop, tablet, and cell phone. Those manuals scare the hell out of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of this tech stuff is completely overwhelming and has served to seriously complicate out lives. You're fortunate to have Assistant Leah.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jon ... I'm unable to use my previous account since the whole thing vanished due to Goggle's changes. It's taken me awhile to figure out how to even comment on your blog, so who knows if this will even work.

    Anyhow - let's hope that the guy who used to live there goes away as quickly as he appeared. He should move along once he fully realizes that you're not up for any negotiations.

    I only use my cell phone for emergencies. There's so many apps on the darn thing that I'll never use - nor do I have any interest in learning them either. I was in Vancouver, B.C. last week where I actually spotted a real phone booth in working order. I tried it. That was weird. Good luck with your stalker - and of course your new smart phone. See ya ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering what happened to you. Glad you're okay, but it's too bad that the Google changes have messed things up. You're not the first person I've heard who had trouble because of it.

      I really dislike cell phones and only use them for texting. They mainly serve as one more thing to complicate our lives.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't tell that guy that he has more mail at your house. No way!! Too suspicious for my liking. I love my smart phone I got about a year and a half ago. I couldn't see the pictures or video's of my grandkids and said phooey on that nonsense and got myself one I could see them on :-) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. I'm going to start marking his mail "Not at this address". I'm glad that you've had good luck with your smart phone. I hope I will, too.

      Delete
  5. VERY strange, indeed. One thing. By publishing this info, you've probably thwarted any nefarious plans he may be harboring.
    Tom and I are much like 'Travel', above. Well, me mostly. I rarely call or text, but use it for practically every other detail of my life. For instance? I'd no idea how o spell nefarious, so I just asked my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I text quite often but rarely ever call. I had no idea you could do a spell check on a cell phone.

      The more I think about that guy and his mail, the more strange it seems.

      Delete
  6. I would write on his mail wrong address and put it back in the mail box. I think this guy might be up to something hope not murder, he might be hiding something and don't want anyone to know where he is. Have your gun in your hand if he comes back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I agree with you completely. The entire situation seems strange to me. I'm going to have his mail returned to sender, as you said.
      I hope things are going well for you. Take care and keep in touch!

      Delete
  7. hope you find a cell phone that works. that guy sounds a tad bit suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love LOVE my smarty pants phone. Once you get addicted to it, you'll love it too.
    Oh, and Return to Sender. Address Unknown. No such Number. Oops ��

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.