Thursday, February 24, 2022

THE HEADLESS QUEEN AND OTHER RARITIES

 Note: I originally posted this on one of my old blogs several years ago.

We'll get to the queen later. First, a preliminary photo story.


When I was a teenager in Southern California, my mother had an elderly friend whose husband used to be a European news correspondent during World War II. For some reason unbeknownst to me, the woman gave my Mom a packet of about twenty original, unpublished photos of Adolph Hitler. Most of the photos were taken in Rome during Hitler's visit with Pope Pius XII (the Pope was nearly as corrupt as Hitler - I think there was more than one visit).

Anyway, my mother and I were fascinated with the photos because of their rarity and historical value. 

My father - who never valued anything and was notorious for throwing things away - tossed the packet of photos into a big box of "junk" and  donated it to Goodwill. My Mom and I didn't discover this until weeks later.


I still get sick and disgusted every time I think of the Hitler photos. I might as well mention that the box which went to Goodwill also contained an autographed copy of the novel 1984 by George Orwell which belonged to me.

I've always loved history and I have had a lifelong passion for old photos. I have a large collection of antique photos.


Just for the record - none of the following photos are from my collection. These were all found via the Internet.



Let's begin with the queen.
Off with her head!!



 A photo of Queen Victoria and five of her children (date unknown). For some strange reason the Queen hated how she looked in this photo - - so she personally scratched her head off of it.

I suppose queens have the power and privilege
to behead themselves..... 


This is 94 year old Hannah Stilley.
The photo was taken in 1840.
Hannah was born in 1746!
This makes her the person with the oldest birth date to ever be photographed.



A bird's eye view of Boston in 1860.
Photo was taken from a hot air balloon.





 Abraham Lincoln's granddaughters,
Mary and Jessie.
They were the daughters of Lincoln's son Robert.




A beggar running after the carriage of
King George V and pleading for money.
The King was probably saying
"Why can't these bloody horses go any faster?"
Photo taken in 1920






Russian Tsar Nicholas II, letting his daughter
Grand Duchess Anastasia have a puff
 from his pipe.
Anastasia was fifteen at the time, so the photo was probably taken in 1916.
Tragically, Nicholas, his wife Empress Alexandra, and their five children were executed less than two years later.





 Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan.
Photo taken at Cape Cod, July, 1888.
I love this photo. It's a classic captured in time.





The ice berg that sunk the Titanic. Red paint is visible on it. This photo was taken on April 15, 1912 - from the German ocean liner S.S. Prinz Adalbert





Supposedly the last photo ever taken of the Titanic.
This photo was taken by the Jesuit Priest Francis Browne. Browne was a passenger on the Titanic but got off in Queenstown, Ireland . (That's not a lifeboat in the lower right - it's just a group of curious onlookers).






 White Sheets on Ferris Wheel

 The KKK, attending a carnival in Canon City, Colorado, 1925.
When I first saw this photo I thought it was just a "joke". It was a sobering shock to find out it is real.





This is supposedly the very last photo ever taken of Hitler. April 30, 1945.
Taken only hours before his death
(or alleged death - whatever you choose to believe).




 The last photo of Anne Frank

An extremely poignant photo
of Anne Frank and her sister Margot, taken in the attic where they hid before being captured by the Nazis. 
The photo is dated 1942




Anne Frank's father Otto
revisiting the attic in 1960.
He was the only one in the family who survived
imprisonment in the Nazi death camp.





An unrelated but very powerful photo.


This is a menorah in a window on Chanukah
in Kiel, Germany, 1931
defying the Nazi flag outside.

On the verso of the photo is written:
"Judea will live forever"


 

19 comments:

  1. Those photographs were so interesting. I wonder what Ann and Margot were looking at. The lighting in the photograph was striking.

    Thanks for showing us these amazing photographs. It is so sad that your Dad discarded the pictures of Hitler and also your autographed George Orwell novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Anne Frank photo is really striking. I imagine that they might have been looking at something outside a window. It seems to be a spontaneous photo, rather than a posed one.

      Delete
  2. The Frank picture really got to me. What a beautiful photograph of the sisters.

    Not that I could stand Hitler, but he is a part of the world's history... but if you still had those photographs that were unpublished.... you'd be set for life ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Anne Frank photo is really haunting. There's something about it that is mesmerizing.

      I'll never get over the loss of the Hitler photos. My father was NOTORIOUS for throwing things out....or giving them away. He did it more times than I'd ever care to remember.

      Delete
  3. These are some powerful photos! They were not only interesting, but educational as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I decided to rehash this post. The photos are truly fascinating.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to see this encore post again, Jon! Those which resonate most deeply with me are the Tsar Nicolaus and his daughter; anything having to do with Anne Frank. That last image

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a difficult time choosing favorites from these photos. I love the Anne Frank, Helen Keller, and Tsar Nicholas pictures.

      The last image of the menorah is really powerful.

      Delete
  5. Oops! Premature publish-syndrome! I meant to say, the last image is one of the most riveting I've ever seen. Brings to mind the current conflict in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love history. And I watch those video montages of photos from various periods. You father gave away a FORTUNE! Those photos... even having Adolf Hitler in them, would have been a collectors dream. And a museum would have probably paid handsomely for them. Sometimes, things are valuable, even when their value is not obviously apparent. The photo of Hannay Stiley is very interesting, if you do the math, she lived through the revolutionary war! I wonder what stories she could tell back in the 1800's. Old people are living, breathing history books if they are still cognizant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever listed all the valuable things my father got rid of, you wouldn't believe it. Those photos of Hitler and the Pope were truly priceless.

      I can only imagine how much history Hannah Stilley saw during her long lifetime. It's amazing!

      Delete
  7. Amazing photos! I love seeing old photos, too. Even when I have no clue who they are--just ordinary people--they fascinate me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something incredibly fascinating about antique photos - they have some kind of special "aura" about them, which is often lacking in more recent photos.

      Delete
  8. Awesome photos Jon.. thanks for sharing! Stay warm...spring is coming, soon I hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are presently snow showers mixed with freezing rain here in my neck of the woods. I'm counting the minutes until spring!
      Glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful collection of images, Jon, and this was a first-time viewing for myself. That said, I can see why you would want to re-publish because they were all so fascinating. Old photos are the best and tragic to read about those your father discarded and the 1984 book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I discovered this old blog post I decided it was worth a re-run. I've always been intrigued by old photos.

      After all these years, I'm still in shock over the fact that my father got rid of the Hitler photos without even looking at them.
      Somebody at Goodwill got a gold mine......

      Delete
  10. Wow, those photographs are absolutely fantastic. I've got a real thing about old photos, too. Doesn't even matter if I know the people captured in the shots. There's something about the old pics, especially the B&W or sepia, that seemed to capture the moment more poignantly than more modern photography.

    Like you, my dad was always invading my privacy and throwing my stuff out. Sometimes, I was lucky and was able to rescue it before the garbage men came, but otherwise, I was SOL. I HATE that your father gave away those photos to Goodwill. I hope whoever got them realized what they had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something haunting and completely intriguing about old photos. They capture the essence of time in a unique way that seems to be absent in modern photography. Sepia and black & white is more poignant than color.

      My father was notorious for throwing things out, and this was most often inspired by anger rather than logic. He would just grabs things and toss them, without even considering what they were.
      Ironically, he seldom threw his own things away....

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.