Tuesday, July 26, 2022

A HODGE-PODGE OF UNINTERESTING TREASURES

I was planning to write more fascinating posts (like my previous one Suicide Sign), but - since very few people bother to read my blog - I'll wait until I'm in a better mood. Why write my ass off for absolutely nothing?

(I do greatly appreciate the four-or-is-it-five people who faithfully read my blog and haven't yet been offended or frightened - - you are a rare breed)

Today I've decided to take the easy way out and inflict you with an assortment of uninteresting photos. These are a hodge-podge of things I found around the house that have sentimental value to me and no one else.

I'm presently seriously soused with homemade wine, which gives me the illusion that blogging has a purpose.

Unfortunately many of these photos are blurry and crappy - courtesy of my ancient, errant digital camera.


You've already seen my collection of glass bottles, but I'm showing them again because they're so dang pretty.


These are my yellow baby slippers, which are remarkably well-preserved for being over two hundred years old (*smile*)

An old wooden pencil box from Hungary, which belonged to my paternal grandmother.


A wooden storage box from Hungary.


The very first oil painting I ever painted - when I was eleven (!) years old.

This is a pile of music compositions I wrote in California, mostly when I was in college. I'm astounded at how many there are. My aspiration to be a composer was once serious...






Because of the numerous articles I published about Hollywood history, I was nominated to be a member of the American Film Institute. I think this was in 1989.




A few ticket stubs from the L.A. Music Center, where I attended countless concerts - - and a reservation envelope for dinner at the Beverly Hills Brown Derby on Wilshire Blvd.
My previous life was a million miles away from the hellish rural existence I'm now experiencing here in Tennessee....


A faded photo of The Golden Lantern in Long Beach, where I used to dine frequently. The place was filled with antiques. It's no longer in existence.


Various letters I received from Olivia de Havilland, James Stewart, Shelley Winters, Joan Rivers, silent screen actress Lillian Gish, and others.


I have a large collection of antique and ancient rings, of which these are a few. The large one in the center is a Persian ring from the 1500s. My very favorite one is second from the left - a gold and amethyst ring from Italy, circa 1750. Unfortunately I lost it a few years ago. I have no clue what happened to it - and I'm still searching for it, hoping that by some miracle it will turn up.



A couple of patches that were sewn on an old Army jacket I used to wear when I was a wayward hippie.


I recently found the first badge I had when I was a twenty-year-old security officer for California Plant Protection. I was an armed guard at Hughes Aircraft. The ladies in the front office took photos of me because they thought I was cute. No, I'm not kidding.


This 1940s lamp belonged to my maternal grandmother. She eventually gave it to my mother. The globe at the top was originally a round one. When I was four-years-old I accidentally knocked the lamp over and broke the globe. Mom couldn't find a replacement until we moved to California two years later. The replacement isn't round, but it's a perfect match.
Incidentally, the lamp still works after all these years.
Not like the Made in China Walmart crap they have nowadays.

Is this the end?
Already?

Jon, endlessly yours


16 comments:

  1. That WAS an interesting post. Very! Loved the pics and stories behind them. The glass bottle collection is delightful. The rings are awesome. Sad you lost the Persian ring. I had a peace sign like that sewn to the ass of my jeans when I was a student at OSU...during the riots (same time as Kent State shootings). I was a wild child. That time is sort of a blur, and you can probably guess why! LOL! The letters from the stars are really fascinating. Any good 'stories' in those letters? Thank you, Jon, for this great posting. Keep 'em coming!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was initially very hesitant to post this because I thought it was uninteresting and kind of dumb. Yet, I admittedly enjoy sharing glimpses of my past (and present) life. I have an enormous amount of letters and photos from famous people - but some of them were lost when I moved to TN. Actress Lillian Gish was in her 90s when she sent me several letters.
      I laughed when you said the peace sign was on your ass/

      Delete
    2. Yes, there was a peace sign sewn on the ass of my jeans. Does that tell you anything about my college behavior? There's a message there! LOL!



      Delete
    3. My imagination is rampant.

      Delete
  2. Jon, I truly love these glimpses into your life and times. My favorite, of course, those sweet baby booties. Next, that painting you did at age 11 ... and I'm betting it was no 'color by number' either. If you weren't so dang charming (*grin*) I'd be feeling downright insignificant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those baby booties almost look new. I guess I didn't get much wear out of them (?)
      I plan to write more about my art adventures in my next post.
      You are one of the few discerning people who appreciate me and my (supposed) "charm". Many thanks!

      Delete
  3. Ouch! I think Blogger just ate my comment. Would you mind looking in your spam file? P&TY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment did go to the spam file. A pox on Blogger!

      Delete
  4. I meant to add, Jon, that the painting you did at 11 years old was amazing! Do you still paint? You have so many talents. Some of us are bankrupt in the 'talent' category.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to write more about my endeavors in art in my next post. Unfortunately I no longer paint.

      Delete
  5. I truly loved seeing this pics - ("no, I'm not kidding" lol). I enjoyed ALL of them - especially the antique items you still have in pristine condition. I also liked the colored glass bottles - I also have A LOT of those kinds of items, but they are no worth anything - I just like them lol!

    Why would you write your ass off? Well, for one thing, because you enjoy writing AND for another ... well, you LOVE US! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I thought this post was a dumb idea, but I do enjoy sharing these tidbits. I have an enormous amount of sentimental things that would probably be worthless to anyone but myself. I'll eventually share more of them on my blog.

      Yes, I do love writing - - and I certainly love all the people who appreciate my existence. You have good taste (*smile*).

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this post, Jon, and contrary to your statement that it was uninteresting, it was just the opposite. Those colored glass bottles and rings were fun to see, but all that correspondence, musical compositions, artwork were even more so. You are definitely a multi-talented person, despite your sarcastic nature at times. It’s why your blog is definitely one of my favorites (no kidding).

    Seeing all those ticket stubs and correspondence from famous personalities reminded me of years ago when I went to Broadway theatre and I have a small collection of autographed playbills as well. But the prices were most amazing at $12.50 being the top cost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind words are truly appreciated, Dorothy. Sometimes I think it's fun to share unimportant tidbits from my life - - and I'm sure I'll do it again in future posts.

      I can hardly believe the prices on those old tickets from the L.A. Music Center. At that time, I was so poor that I thought the 12.50 tickets were outrageous! I often got tickets for the balcony, which were about $5.50.
      I've been to New York numerous times but never saw a Broadway show. I'm sure your autographed playbills are treasures.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jon- Louise here- I loved all the pics that you share, thank you. I hope you already know this, but I am one of the 4-5 followers that read ALL your blogs- I haven't read one yet that has offended or frightened me! (smile). Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Louise - I knew that you were one of the four or five coveted people who tolerate me, and I appreciate it. I seem to have a knack for offending my readers. Many (I'm not kidding) people have abandoned my blog because of things I've said. I'm guilty of being a realist, which isn't always a desirable thing to be.

      Anyway, many thanks for your kind sentiments!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.