Friday, December 1, 2017

AFTERMATH

This is a followup of my previous post: 
the conversion of my phone/computer connection from old copper cables to new fiber optic cables.

The switch was supposedly not mandatory, but I was gently advised that everybody with my internet service provider would eventually be compelled to do it.

Rather than go through a future ugly ordeal with gunfire and bloodshed, I figured I'd convert early and be done with it.

The outside preparatory work was completed last Tuesday. The indoor installation would be done on Wednesday.

This post is starting to bore me - which isn't a good sign.

The two workers arrived early Wednesday afternoon. My first impression was that they looked like a couple of bewildered bookends. I attributed that to the fact that they had to scale a mountain and plow through an acre of 25-foot-high weeds to get to my front door.

The process took about an hour and a half. I didn't learn much, since the workers were about as friendly and talkative as corpses at a wake.
(one of the guys had to crawl under the house to install some wires, and he did mention that it was about 40 degrees below zero under there). 

I also learned that there's no insulation in the walls - - which I already assumed, since it's generally 150 degrees below zero in the house. Except in the summer - when it's hotter than the surface of the sun.

I breathed a sigh of relief when the workers finally left (I'm sure they did too), and then I inspected their handiwork:


They installed this contraption outside by the utility box....

....and this was installed inside - in the laundry area, right above the washing machine.

The inside contraption has a winking green light, which makes me feel like I'm under surveillance. I made sure the door was tightly shut when I went into the bathroom.

Cut to the chase, Jon. How has fiber optics changed your computer and phone experience?

My desktop computer was working fine after the conversion. However, surfing the Internet seemed only a fraction faster than usual - not much difference than before.


BUT
I couldn't get an Internet connection on my laptop - - no matter how hard I tried. So I decided to call the ISP for technical support.....
.......but my landline phone didn't work, either. I got a dial tone but wasn't able to dial numbers.

I messed around with the phone connection until I was finally able to dial numbers....
.......but then the number that I dialed wouldn't ring. All I got was an echo.

So I messed around some more and eventually got the phone to work.

To make a long story short (which at this point is a complete impossibility) I was on the phone with the computer technician for about an hour. He was polite and extremely helpful.

An aside:
at one point the technician asked for the serial number on my router. I had to run into the other room - and discovered that my cat Scruffy was sleeping on the router (Scruffy and Bosco like the router because it generates warmth). 
Anyway, I had to PRY a sleepy Scruffy off the router.

FINALLY, after an agony of trials and errors, the technician discovered that I could access the Internet with my network security key (which is the password that I used when I first signed up with my Internet service provider).
So, it's a happy ending, I suppose. My desktop computer works, the laptop works, the landline phone works.
And my cats still sleep on the router.

I honestly don't see a huge difference between the copper cable connection and the fiber optic one - - but I'm glad the ordeal is finally over. I hope.

BTW - I hardly ever use the landline phone, but I'm required to have one with my Internet service "plan". More money for them.

 

18 comments:

  1. "Bewildered bookends" ... I love it!
    Ya, we've only a landline because the Cox "package" makes $$$ more attractive. Except, try as I might I can't get Tom to QUIT ANSWERING the stupid thing, even when we know darn well it's a telemarketer. Or worse. I hope to God there are no land lines in Alabama.

    PS. 40-below-zero sounds heavenly about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked "bewildered bookends" too. It was an apt description.

      I honestly thought that if I converted to fiber optics I could finally get rid of the landline phone - - but unfortunately I'm stuck with it. In Texas I had a landline with high speed Internet for $55 a month. Here in TN I'm paying nearly $85 a month for the exact same thing.

      Delete
  2. By golly Jon, I'm glad you got everything working. I've supposedly had high speed internet over my phone line with Frontier, and they're a good outfit. But this morning the whole thing slowed to a snail's pace and I blame the technicians who installed that blue hot-water bottle on your wall. It's all interconnected, say physicists and religionists, but I find my computer working fine tonight, physically and spiritually, so I guess it's not Armageddon yet. Fax communication did break down between my doctor and pharmacist this morning so I had to drive to both places to get a refill on my asthma med. Beyond those glitches, I hope your fiber optic conversion has not upset the internet. And I certainly admire your patience in setting it all right. You have my vote of thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw that hideous thing attached to the wall I figured something might go wrong in California. Glad to hear that your computer finally calmed down and is acting "normal" again.

      I very often yearn for the good ol' days when I was a kid - and we simply plugged in the TV and got four channels.....when telephones had party lines and long distance calls were something special. When computers seemed to exist only in the realms of science fiction.

      Delete
  3. well glad to hear the conversion has been completed. if you're still operating at a snails pace, it's progress. good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that they have fiber optic connections way out here in the boonies. I suppose that's progress.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the transition was relatively painless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there was some pain....but no scars.

      Delete
  5. Right after you posted this, my dear mother is having the same things done. Of course she , I'm sure was supervising the whole time. She also told them several times to make sure not to rub up against the walls. They were probably in and out as quick as possible I surmise. But probably offered up some of her baked selections and coffee.

    "like I'm under surveillance" I swear it's a plan. We're all being watched, but by whom...and from where? Questions to ponder I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out lives are definitely being invaded by too many contraptions and it is slightly unnerving (but I'm sure people were saying the same thing when the telephone was invented...).

      I honestly don't see any difference between the old copper cable connection and the new fiber optics - - but I'm surprised that it is available out here in the wilderness.

      I suppose I would have let the guys rub up against my "wall", but they didn't ask......(a slight attempt at humor)

      Delete
  6. Well, they had to be fairly efficient in order to get all that digging and installing done quickly. I am so glad you got it all working--OMG! I am so lost when it comes to electronics and following phone directions. Glad you got a nice one on the phone. At least it is all done--as long as they were going to force you to do this later, regardless--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After they left, I really panicked when I discovered the laptop and phone didn't work - but thankfully it didn't take too long to get it straightened out. I'm completely clueless when it comes to electronics, and I HATE to get assistance via the phone, but the guy was very helpful and polite.

      Delete
  7. Be sure to keep the bathroom door closed. I've heard of Fiber Optics. I'm going to have to check the side of our house to see if we have that blue box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that very soon every house in America will have a blue box.

      Delete
  8. I'm still in the stone age and have no internet or land line & no insulation in my walls either. My tv is one that has tubes inside and is not thin to say the least. Weights about 30 lbs and hard to move. But at least big brother can't see inside my house yet. I keep my cell phone in a case that has the camera lenses covered. Am getting paranoid in my old age I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get rid of the landline phone, but Twin Lakes is greedy for money. I'm paying nearly $84 a month for high-speed Internet and landline. In Texas I got the exact same thing for $55 a month.
      Two of my TVs were so HEAVY that I left them in TX.

      I heard that COLD weather is coming our way later this week. I might go into town before it comes. Take care.

      Delete
  9. Jon,
    Give it a chance Jon. I wish I had the option of getting a fiber optic for my Internet option. I'll probably never have that option as long as I live in this neighborhood.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, I'm really surprised that the fiber optic connection is now available out here in the boonies. I never thought it would happen.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.