Friday, May 31, 2024

ONE YEAR AGO

 



It's been one year ago, June 1st, when I began the longest journey of my life. The story is so bizarre, muddled, and frightening that I'm hesitant to attempt putting it into words. (brevity seems the best route, but it was never my forte).

I had a tumor dangerously near a main artery, which caused profuse bleeding every day. I often hemorrhaged, which eventually caused my heart to fail. There were severe frequent incidents where I had crushing pain and burning in my chest, arms, and jaw. I knew it was  heart attacks from loss of blood.

By June the 1st I was too weak to walk across a room. I was having dizzy spells and strange illusions. I had collapsed into bed and couldn't get up. Without a word of exaggeration, I knew I was dying. I summoned the pitiful  strength I had left and staggered out to the front porch. I managed to call 911 on my cell phone....

.....then I passed out on the porch. My cat Bosco stayed with me until the ambulance came.

They took me to the nearest hospital, which was in Livingston. By then I was gasping for breath in and out of consciousness. Livingston is a small facility and they couldn't do much. I was quickly transferred to  ICU at the Cookeville Medical Center.

The next few days were a complete blur. I had lost so much blood that the doctors were astonished. The tumor was malignant and inoperable because of the artery.

Thus began my extraordinary journey. Over two and a half months in Cookeville Medical Center - - where I had cauterization, colon surgery, and seven weeks of chemo and radiation. Then over three months of physical rehab in Jamestown.

When I started physical therapy I had lost forty lbs. and was too weak to get out of bed.

Today, a year later, I'm partially wheelchair-bound but can walk easily with the aid of a walker. And I gained over forty lbs. My latest CT scan was good.....but I have congestive heart failure and edema.

It's been one heckuva grueling journey.

To say that I have mixed emotions would be an understatement. I was initially told that I would die.

I'm still around a year later, physically and mentally ravaged but greatful for many things.

This ordeal taught me how to have patience and maintain a semblance of dignity through difficult times. I learned to have compassion and tolerance for others. There are countless people going through far worse things than I did.

Most of all, I discovered that there are many kind and generous people who genuinely care and are willing to help. For that I am eternally greatful.

I learned to have humility and abandon my selfishness.

I'm thankful every day for the blessings and mercy bestowed upon me by our Divine Creator.

Wait a minute - - I don't want to get too sappy and sentimental.

Despite the blessings, I am very often frustrated and deeply depressed. I'm no longer the person that I once was. Physically I'm often helpless and annoyingly weak. Mentally, my mind is a non-stop rollercoaster. My mood changes are alarmingly erratic.

In retrospect, I have always been an enigma, a complex entity, a mass of condradictions. These intriguing parts of my nature can't be changed.

I'm not special, nor am I intrinsically strong. I don't consider my ordeal as  inspirational. I'm merely a flawed mortal, hanging onto the fragile thread of life - - doing the best that I can.

Jon


30 comments:

  1. Jon, Wow, that was really a hell of a year, understatement, and you have recounted so much in this post. As one of your longest blog supporters, I am so glad and thankful too that you have overcome so many health obstacles, notwithstanding those you continue to deal with because you definitely do not give up despite the odds. Good for you and for us, your fellow blog supporters.😀 we will be here for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly believe that I got through that year. It was the most grueling year of my life.
      My blogger friends helped me to hang on.

      Delete
  2. Well you are probably looking at the “bright side”, which isn’t much, but it’s what you have, and you realize that. Humans are prone to fight death to the end, until they can’t any more. I think it’s in our DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always been difficult for me to look on the bright side, but I keep pushing forward....

      Delete
  3. You are special, Jon. There is only one of you.

    "In this galaxy, there is a mathematical probability of three million
    Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe,
    three million million galaxies like this.
    And in all of that
    and perhaps more,
    only one of each of us."

    Dr. Leonard McCoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found your comment in spam - - that is an annoying Blogger "glitch".
      The quote by Dr. McCoy is really amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  4. Overwhelming when you think of it all at once, right? You have been blessed. Surviving all you have so far is nothing short of miraculous. Glad you are here, Jon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita. Despite all of the obstacles, we are both blessed.

      Delete
  5. John, you're above all a survivor. The strongest part about you is your will! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I always manage to find the strength to keep going. I often surprise myself. Thanks, Liz!

      Delete
  6. I am a late-comer to your blog, learning of you from Beatrice, so I appreciate the synopsis. You have resilience, this is obvious. It may be hard to see it, but I see a person who is getting better, albeit, slowly. But better all the same. I'd say hang in there, but you are already doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. Unfortunately I've always been a pessimist, but I've truly surprised myself with my strength and resilience.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. You did go to spam. I just found your comment.

      Delete
  8. A survivor you are!!!!! You have been through more the enough this year. I hope the cards give you a good hand my friend. I think it's time for a kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet and caring people like yourself have helped me get through the difficult times.
      I agree - - it's time for a kitty....or two. I still have some mice.

      Delete
  9. What an astonishing -- and awful Anniversary. I remember being so frightened at your initial post, saying you were in the hospital.
    Your candid recollections and perspective touches my heart. I feel truly blessed to know you ... to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I called 911 that day, I never dreamed that I'd be away from home for six months. It seems like a faraway nightmare. I am truly astonished that I survived.
      Thanks for being such a kind and caring friend, Myra.

      Delete
  10. It's been a long and bumpy ride, but you've come out on the other side gratefully.
    Keep on pushing Jon, you've made marvellous progress.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your words of kindness and courage during my bumpy ride, Jo. It means a lot.

      Delete
  11. It was a year to remember, for sure. You got through it, due in no small part to your determination and perseverance. I hope you're doing well, and the CHF is being controlled as best you can. I have it too, and it's a struggle.
    I hope this summer isn't as hot as it's forecasted, I hate heat, and running my AC all time makes me nuts.
    Sympathetically yours,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the longest year of my life, and I'm truly amazed that I managed to get through it.
      I hate the heat, too. Fortunately, the summers are rather short here in TN and there aren't too many brutally hot days.
      I lived in San Angelo, TX for a few years - and it was the hottest place I've ever been. In the summer the humidity would sometimes drop below zero!!!
      (like minus 6).

      Delete
  12. Never do we realize just how fragile life is until something happens so drastic that it scares the life out of us! You endured more than most could have handled and learned what you are truly made of, Jon. The circumstances you went through were terrifying to say the least!

    I, for one, am extremely happy you made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is filled with the unexpected. I never thought anything like this would ever happen to me. I always vowed that I'd stay away ftom doctors and hospitals. Fate really pulled a cruel joke on me.
      Perhaps it was a lesson in humility, which I probably needed. I certainly have a new outlook on life.
      Your concern and kind words are always appreciated!

      Delete
  13. Wow~ A year of struggles and fighting to get better, and you have come so far in that year. Your scans you said were good, hallelujah! You can get around with your walker and wheel chair. that is amazing! God is not done with you yet! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy, your kind words mean a lot.

      Delete
  14. You had a hell of an ordeal, but we are glad you are still here. ❤️ Sheila Y

    ReplyDelete
  15. Medical issues eventually challenge us all and it takes an ironclad constitution and sheer willpower to overcome them.
    We go see doctors or even go through surgery because it has to be done, even when we are frightened.
    It can be and is overwhelming, but our lives are too precious and no diseases or health issues are going to get us down if we put up a good fight.
    It’s like that old saying, getting old isn’t for sissies. More like getting old makes sissies tough. -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen a doctor in over thirty years and vowed I'd never see one. It's surprising how drastically life changes when you're faced with a serious illness.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.