Wednesday, March 7, 2018

DEJA VU




You're very fortunate that I haven't had time to write a post about the recent Oscars.

I hear a collective sigh of relief.

But I might sometime in the near future.

Groans of abject disgust.

Until then, I'll continue to brighten your lives with the intensely boring subjects that I've rehashed countless times before: sunsets, cats, and life in the harsh and unforgiving wilderness.

After a few glorious days of beautifully mild weather, winter decided to return and bite Tennessee in the ass. At least in my area.

A rude, cold wind started blowing yesterday at sunset - drastically dropping the temperature and inspiring snow flurries after midnight.

The sunset was so impressive that I grabbed my El Cheapo camera and ran out onto the front porch to capture the lovely scene while it was still ripe. 
Unbeknownst to me, Bosco and Scruffy (the cats) came out, too. 

After I took the photos, Bosco obediently came back inside (like he always does) and Scruffy went down the front steps and disappeared (like she always does).

She was gone all night - when the temperature was dangerously low and the frigid wind shrieked. To make matters worse, she has a bad cold with coughs, sneezes, and ample snot.

The last time Scruffy pulled this disappearing act she took refuge under the house. My only consolation was that she would do this again. Nevertheless, I worried all night and kept going outside to call her.

At the cold crack of dawn I went out again and kept shouting "SCRUFFY!!!"
so loud that it reverberated in Kentucky.
Finally, the wayward feline came out from under the back porch.

Nothing's better than a happy ending.

 Scruffy

Post script:
A special thanks to my cousin Nancy who drove all the way over here on Monday to check up on me because neither of my phones were working.

Here are some sunset photos from last evening:










17 comments:

  1. breathtaking pictures. thank goodness scruffy was safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunset was even more lovely in real - the air was so dry and crisp. I'm going to have to keep a MUCH closer eye on Scruffy. She's does that disappearing act too often and it always happens at night.

      Delete
  2. Oscar's? I watched 20 minutes of the red carpet and then 20 minutes of the show....I'd sooner watch paint dry.

    I don't see any white stuff in those pictures, can I send you some? We have tons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the Oscars is NOTHING like it used to be. The entire original concept of celebrating films has vanished.

      We only got flurries but I'm freezing my ass off!!! I thought the cold weather had finally vanished, but it's here again with a vengeance. Keep the snow in PA - - please!!

      Delete
  3. You're such a good cat daddy and the pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often difficult to see the sunsets because of all the trees - but the view is better in the winter when the leaves are gone.
      Those cats drive me CRAZY most of the time - but I still love them.

      Delete
    2. Jon, your sunset photos are beautiful. Regarding Scruffy: I'm glad you found her safe and sound! My cats have always been afraid to leave home without me.

      So I never had to worry about them being lost and alone. However, I once had a dog :-)

      Delete
    3. My cats used to be afraid to go outdoors, too. I made the mistake of letting them out on the porch (a few years ago) to get some fresh air - and (unfortunately) they liked it. Bosco is the most timid of the three. He never stays out for very long.

      I remember the very sad story about your dog, and I can only hope that, somehow, he was eventually found and got a good home.

      Delete
  4. Stunning photos!! Glad Scruffy was okay.
    I didn't watch the Oscars, though I'm sure I could have found them streaming someplace online. I never get do rent the movies until afterwards, anyways. Did just watch the Darkest Hour DVD from Netflix and would never have recognized Gary Oldman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in California I was fascinated with the Oscars, watched all the movies, and knew everything about them. When I moved away I lost all interest and haven't seen any recent films in years. I do eventually watch some on DVD.

      I'm going to have to watch Scruffy more carefully from now on. She seems to enjoy running away after dark and ruining my whole night!!

      Delete
  5. Those sunset pictures are gorgeous!

    I'm glad Scruffy returned in one piece. I would've been a basket case if one of our cats was outside, especially on a cold night. They've never gone outside, so there's no telling how they'd react.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't like my cats to be outdoors (ESPECIALLY during tick season). I made the mistake of letting them out on the porch for fresh air and a change of scene. To my astonishment, they liked it. I always try to keep a close eye on them because this is such a dangerous place for innocent pets (assuming that my felines are indeed "innocent"...).
      I really panic if they get out at night.
      Scruffy has done this several times. I'm glad that she at least has enough sense to stay by (or under) the house.

      Delete
  6. Like so many things, the Oscars has disintegrated into a class-LESS embarrassment of air time. (Then again, I'm just growing old.)

    Scruffy's latest disappearing act sounds frightening, indeed. That's my biggest fear, lately; that one of the girls will get loose along the way to Bama. Learning that you lost sleep and kept calling makes me like you even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Oscars has little to do with films nowadays and much more to do with political agendas. I would love to do an Oscar rant, but I'll probably restrain myself.

    Guard your girls carefully along the way. Are they accustomed to being on leashes? Perhaps leashes would be useful. Or keep them in carrying cages (easier said than done). When I moved from TX to TN I had two large pet cages - one for Scratch and one for Bosco and Scruffy. They didn't seem to mind it.

    I was up ALL night during Scruffy's latest nocturnal escape. I was frantic - especially because of the cold, hostile weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon, I trust you. You won't criticize my self-imposed ignorance of Oscar contenders. Some years ago --after my kids moved out-- I realized that not only had I never heard of the Oscar nominees, but they were the offspring of Oscar nominees I'd never heard of either. This spooked the hell out of me and caused me to dash outside and hide under the house. I understand Scruffy's pursuit of solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geo - I lost interest in the Oscars after I moved away from California and realized that the real world (if there is such a thing) doesn't revolve around Hollywood.
    Also, I haven't seen a film in a theater since Mary Pickford was making pictures - and I have absolutely no clue who any of the so-called "stars" are nowadays. My star-dusted dreams are replaced by cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jon
    Thank goodness you found her Jon. Cold, cold here too! So looking forward to spring.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.