Sunday, June 3, 2018

ECHOES FROM THE PAST



Echoes from the past, music from the American Civil War.

About a year ago (I can't remember exactly) I made a video of music from the Civil War that I had arranged for piano. I didn't particularly like the video because it was way too long and haphazardly done.

So yesterday I made another video with some new recordings of my Civil War music arrangements. 
Unfortunately this new video is way too long and haphazardly done (*smile*). If nothing else, my attempts at creativity are consistent. 

I originally (long ago) recorded twelve songs from the Civil War, which I arranged for solo piano. In this new video, I've used four of them:

1. Battle Cry of Freedom
2. Lorena
3. Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier
4. Variations on When Johnny Comes Marching Home.

I haphazardly threw a bunch of  Civil War photos together with the music and called it a "video".

BUT there's a  method to my madness, sort of.
For the first song I used all photos of soldiers on the "front".

The second song Lorena is rather saccharine and sentimental, so I used photos of soldiers with their wives/sweethearts.

The third song Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier is a sad lament, which reminds me of death on the battlefield. 

The fourth piece is (are) my own variations on When Johnny Comes Marching Home. It's one of my personal favorite arrangements. 

I had to transfer all my Civil War piano recordings from mp3 to WAV and then splice them together for the video. The result is far from perfect - but what the heck... I'm being annoyingly modest and unduly self-critical.

Video is best viewed in full-screen

14 comments:

  1. This was hard to watch, Jon. (In a good way, I mean.) That next to the last slide almost did me in. The (not-so) Civil War -- or the War of Northern Aggression, as some prefer to say -- was such a travesty. Still, it fascinates me.

    I just saw on the evening news, tomorrow is a State holiday marking Jeff Davis' birthday. Since the First White House of the Confederacy is only 12-13 miles from here a little ride might just be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myra, you've made my work on the video worthwhile - and you've made my day. Those Civil War photos (and the music) touched me, too. It is like having an encounter with ghosts of the past. Those fading photos tell so MANY stories and harbor innumerable memories. I look at the eyes of those soldiers and wonder what their fate might have been....

    At the risk of being crucified by the masses (and I don't mean you) I'll admit that I'm surprised it's still legal to have a state holiday for Jeff Davis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What might have been" indeed! Something I forgot to mention: I was surprised - and perplexed - to see the expressions on so many faces I can only describe as arrogant. Perhaps an attempt to feign bravado?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure that in most cases it was feigned bravado.
      I was particularly struck by the photo of the soldier who is (proudly?) holding the blood-stained sword.

      "Sword" or long knife. Bayonet? I don't know the proper names for these war weapons. Heck, I just a sweet pacifist.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jon - touching videos with so many faces that just seem to leave their mark. 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' is a wonderful arrangement which you can be very proud of. I'm certain I'll be viewing these many times over.

    Take care !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always initially dislike my videos - but after I watch them again, I most often decide that they're not so bad after all. I'm delighted that you like my variations on "When Johnny Comes Marching Home". Many thanks for your input!

      Delete
  4. I posted on the YT video when it came out. So very sad to see how young these soldiers were. We always send our young men to war, but back then even little boys were in the battle fields. Very touching video, Jon. Similar to the last one you made. I thought they were both good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. I kept the first Civil War video that I made, but reverted it to "private" on YouTube.

      I was shocked (and saddened)to see how young a lot of those soldiers were. I read somewhere (quite recently) that the youngest Civil War soldier was an EIGHT-year-old boy named Edward Black. He joined the Union Army as a drummer boy but later fought in battles. Incredible!!!!

      Delete
  5. These songs don't have much historical resonance for me, (obviously) but I love the sound and style and your photos are terrific! As a matter of fact I have always loved "Dixie" although if I hum it in the presence of AMericans they are usually surprised or tell me I'm a closet redneck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dixie" was one of the first Civil War songs that I recorded, but (perhaps unfortunately) I didn't include it in this video.

      You're right, Jenny - if you're a fan of "Dixie" many Americans will assume you drive a pickup truck, drink copious amounts of cheap beer, and have a Confederate flag on your front porch.

      Delete
  6. I'm late but I'm here listening and watching your video. You do a good job Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Paula - better late than never. Thanks!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.