Friday, February 23, 2018

VANISHED


 Have you ever written something for your blog and - moments after posting it - the temperature suddenly drops, the sun vanishes, and an icy wind blows through the room?

I (quite reluctantly) removed my two recent posts. Miraculously, the sunshine immediately reappeared and the temperature warmed up to tropical proportions.
The ice vanished, along with my amazingly entertaining and well-contrived personal opinions.

No lie. On this glorious morning a delightfully warm breeze is blowing and the temp is near 70 degrees (that's Fahrenheit, for those of you in North Korea).

Jon, it's your blog. You can write whatever you want.

Not so, Kemosabe.
Becoming a blogger is equivalent to a baptism. You are submitting your soul to the public masses, who will more than eagerly rip it to shreds and throw it to the dogs if you dare step out of line.

Que estas tratando de decir?

Let's just say that there's a blogging Safe Zone, which consists of writing benign (and incredibly boring) posts about the weather and pet cats.
And posting uninteresting photos - which I'll do today. 

Change of subject...and not a moment too soon....

Does anybody remember, awhile ago, when my computer and landline phone connection were switched from copper cables to new-and-improved fiber optics?

My laptop computer works fine. BUT, ever since that day of the switch, I hadn't been able to get an Internet connection on my desktop computer.

I tried everything possible (and some things that were impossible). I consulted computer "experts" (who were baffled).
I spent miserable untold hours searching for anything (and everything) that could even remotely help solve the problem.

Finally I said "To hell with expert opinions. I'll try to fix it myself."

After a tedious amount of detective work, I discovered that one tiny wire had been installed incorrectly and wasn't hooked up.
Voila! Problem solved.

Moral of the story?
Never give up.
And if a lynch mob is after you -
run as fast as you can.

Photos, anyone?
I wandered around the "yard" this morning with my El Cheapo camera, unsuccessfully trying to photograph something interesting.


It's a dull, bland time of year but the weather feels like spring.








My cat Scratch (also known as Kitzee),
who doesn't really care what I write.

21 comments:

  1. Sorry you felt like you had to remove some of your posts. If somebody ripped your soul and fed it to the dogs, let me know. I'll sic my cats on 'em.

    Really... your blog, your choice. (And your regulars enjoy your posts, no matter what you write.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Removing those two posts was no great loss. Sometimes my attempts at humor miss their marks....
      (in case you're curious - I trashed President Obama's recently unveiled official portrait).

      Delete
    2. That's a portrait worthy of trashing.

      Delete
  2. Jon, don't worry about deleting a post or two: I've done this many times - I now see it as a form of spring cleaning :-)

    You are right about most people wanting to read positive posts. The world has become such a depressing place - most people seek something to escape from the nightmare reality of current events. So what's an honest blogger to do?

    I'm just glad I am not on Facebook: Such superficial nonsense, and the world eats it up big time. Thank goodness for the truth and substance which can be found on Blogspot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's a good idea to forget about current events when blogging.
      I joined Facebook two different times long ago - -and I HATED it both times. It did give me the opportunity to connect with some long-lost relatives and old friends, which is the only thing I liked about it.

      Facebook definitely is superficial nonsense, not to mention a waste of time. And they want far too much personal information.

      Delete
  3. Just to clarify , my comment meant " I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion and would defend your right to have whatever opinion you like .Both my grandfathers fought on the Somme and thus gave me the chance to sit here and type this . If they could be gassed and shell shocked fighting for this .It is my privilege to use what they fought for .
    Now I'm going to get off my soap box , you are going to stop sulking - we are going to the pub and it's YOUR round .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, sometimes I don't even respect my own opinions (*smile*). I initially wrote the first post just to be humorous. It seemed to have backfired....but I still think it was hilarious.

      Delete
  4. Jon, I’m glad you got desktop wiring corrected so you could connect to the internet. My basketball 🏀 coach from 8th grade posted the daffodils 🌼 in bloom in Murfreesboro. It’s still cold, icy, dreary here in Jefferson City, Missouri. I love the nakedness of a tree. My Mother, has painted several paintings in hues of grey, and blue of naked trees one with a cabin in the hills of Tennessee. Love your cats! Gabs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this spring-like weather will last, but I heard it's supposed to get cold again next week. I lived in Springfield, Missouri for awhile and I really liked it there - - except for the storms!
      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. Kitzee has the right idea, just take a nap and don't give a damn about anything. Sometime I wish I could be of the feline variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to sleep in the sun all day like a cat....and forget about everything.

      Delete
  6. Crawling out from under my rock (sanctuary), I'm a bit dismayed to have missed not one - but two - of your posts. For the record, "Safe Zones" seem absurd. I promise to stay better aware, as long as you keep on keepin' on!

    PS - Kitzeee is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra - - it's BITTERLY ironic that you were the only person who would have appreciated those posts!!!! Perhaps I'll re-post them....sometime....

      (I was trashing Obama's official presidential portrait)

      Delete
  7. "Let's just say that there's a blogging Safe Zone, which consists of writing benign (and incredibly boring) posts about the weather and pet cats. And posting uninteresting photos."

    Sometimes you do bite. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I was only biting myself - - and I have the teeth marks to prove it!

      Delete
    2. Jon, good to see you are back! Everybody has his/her own truth: That's what America is supposed to be all about? Alas, some folks think their opinion is the only one which matters most?

      No. We ALL have (or at least are supposed to have) freedom of speech in this country. Blog your honest opinions big time. And fear not!

      P.S. I'm only just now learning this hard lesson :-)

      Delete
    3. Many times the things I write seem more harsh than I meant them to be Also, my humor isn't always appreciated (or recognized. But at least I'm honest.
      Freedom of speech? It seems to be eroding - but at least we still have it.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on finding that "one tiny wire" that solves a problem. My only grief is that it's the last of a long bout of troubleshooting. Why can't it be the 1st place one looks for a problem? To whom can we speak to about this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the small wire incident, I had trouble getting my printer to print (finally fixed). And then I had trouble re-establishing the computer audio connection so I could use Audacity (Audacity is the software I use when transferring my old piano tapes to mp3 files).
      Life's too complicate, Geo.

      Delete
  9. Jon,
    More wonderful photos of your wooded splendid isolation and your cats. Always welcome. I'm glad you finally got your computer fixed. Seems I always have something go wrong in my house that has to be fixed. Just yesterday I found out my automatic dishwasher, which I have used less than a dozen times in the past ten years, isn't draining. I washed a load of thrift store obtained dishes three months ago and left them in the dishwasher, assuming they had dried. Yesterday I finally open the dishwasher and found six inches of water that had not drained and a growth on a wooden spoon that was about to open the dishwasher. Always something. Tomorrow the appliance repairman comes,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully your dishwasher can be fixed without a painfully high fee. The world seems to be getting more complicated every day and it makes me yearn for simpler times.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.