Thursday, April 19, 2018

LONELY (REMEMBERING RAMON NOVARRO)




I'm always trying to devise blog posts that will amaze and enthrall you (he says with acute sarcasm).
Today I'm presenting Ramon Novarro singing!!

I can hear your gasps of enthralled astonishment.

This is my latest YouTube video (best viewed full-screen)


When I was a wayward youth slumming through the sleazy streets of Hollywood, I had an intense fascination with movie stars of the silent film era. I was especially intrigued by silent stars who were associated with scandals, mysteries, or murder/suicides (and many of them were).

I was extremely intrigued when I heard about the murder saga of Mexican-born  Ramon Novarro (1899-1968) - - a Hollywood superstar golden boy of the silent era, whose popularity catapulted when he starred in the 1925 blockbuster Ben Hur (which I personally think is far superior to the 1959 remake with Charlton Heston)

Novarro's popularity began to wane with the arrival of the talkies - - mostly because Hollywood film-makers were becoming more interested in featuring all-American Clark Gable types rather than outdated Lothario Latin lovers.

 Ramon Novarro and Dorothy Janis in The Pagan (1929)
one my favorite Novarro films

Novarro could sing and was a decent pianist, but his charming Mexican accent did little to enhance his screen presence in the rapidly-advancing talking movies. He continued getting some bit parts in films, and later did theater and sporadic appearances on Television. 

 Across to Singapore (1928)
with Joan Crawford

By the 1960's Novarro's career had completely fizzled and booze (and loneliness) became his constant companion. His fate was sealed on Halloween Eve, 1968, when he invited two male hustlers to his Laurel Canyon mansion. 

In his heyday, it was a well-known Hollywood secret that Novarro was gay, but his private life was well-maintained and there were never any scandals. As he aged and began drinking heavily he became much more reckless.

The two hustlers who arrived on Halloween were brothers, Tom and Paul Ferguson. They considered themselves to be "straight", but frequently had gay sex for money (Paul even appeared nude in several gay magazines).

 Murderer Paul Ferguson
in a vintage beefcake photo
circa 1964

After an evening of heavy drinking and indulging in sex with Novarro, there was an extremely violent altercation during which Novarro (age 69) was tortured for hours and then savagely beaten to death.

The Ferguson brothers were tried and convicted, but their "life-sentences"  ended up with surprisingly quick paroles. Tom Ferguson was (if I remember correctly) paroled in seven years. He eventually committed suicide - slashing his own throat in a Motel 6.

Paul Ferguson, now nearly 70, is back in prison (in Missouri), serving a 30-year sentence for rape.

When I was a freelance writer, I published four articles about Ramon Novarro. I mainly did this to reignite interest in his largely forgotten acting career. While doing research on Novarro, I saw the house where he was murdered and talked with several people who knew the actor. I also corresponded with James Ideman, the prosecutor at the Novarro murder trial. 

After my two-part feature article appeared in Classic Images (I think it was in March, 1992) I got a letter from Allan Ellenberger, who later wrote a biography on Novarro (first published in 2000).


 

Some of my articles
Classic Images and The Male Insider 


10 comments:

  1. I have never heard of him or the murdering.....sound gruesome. But what a handsome gent!!!!

    "committed suicide - slashing his own throat in a Motel 6." A perfect end for him you ask me. Who wants to die alone in a motel 6..alone with no one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've admittedly had a slight crush on Novarro and his gruesome demise intrigued my passion for the macabre.

      It's a shame that the two brothers got paroled early, but it seems that their own tortured souls got the best of them.

      Delete
  2. very nice, thank you. great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. What a sad ending to his life. And what strange and vicious murderers. Quite the life he had. The recording is haunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the two Fergueson brothers had a lot of self-hate for their latent homosexuality. Another motive for murdering Novarro was robbery - but he didn't have any large sums of money in the house, as they had initially assumed.

      Delete
  4. Those eyes! (swoon aside) Of course I can't be certain, but it sounds as tho' he was the epitome of a 'tortured soul' in his later years ... even unconsciously courting his own demise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with your observation. It seems that Novarro was indeed a lonely and tortured soul in his later years. The fall from fame and glory isn't easy - - neither is the loss of youth....

      Delete
  5. Sorry I haven't commented yet on this excellent post, Jon. Our hot-water heater conked out and I've been doing plumbing. This will go on a while or I miss my guess. You know we live in a crazy old farmhouse so nothing's up to code --so must rely on my own instincts. Strangely, I have always felt the same thing going on in old silent films --a new medium, a new art form, and good fortune to those who could express themselves in moving tableau, pantomime, athletics and dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sympathize with your plight. When I lived in Texas my water heater sprung a leak and the whole bathroom was flooded.
      My plumbing instincts are deplorable, at best.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.